British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/settling-back-uk-after-spending-most-your-life-abroad-893713/)

BritInParis Apr 30th 2017 11:53 pm

Re: Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12237276)
I suspect that you're wrong on both counts. NINO's weren't issued at birth but only when you applied for one after the age of 16 (back in the pre-1970's).

NHS numbers on the other hand, were issued the first time one accessed NHS services (probably at birth). These days, you only need your full name, date and place of birth (a city or a town) for any GP practice in the UK to find the number in a few seconds.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12237570)
NINO's are issued before the age of 16. I knew young sparks NI since he was around a year old back in 1996, so possibly from birth as was posted.

A NINO is ordinarily issued at 15 years and 9 months, shortly before you legally become required to pay NI contributions at 16. old.sparkles, you may be thinking of a Child Reference Number or Child Benefit Number, which is allocated to a child when their parent is in receipt of child benefit for that child. AFAIK this is the same format as a NINO and therefore becomes their NINO when they come of age.

In short, it might be worth for the OP to check whether he already has a NINO if his parents were claiming child benefit for him before they left for New Zealand.

Novocastrian May 1st 2017 7:42 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12241705)
A NINO is ordinarily issued at 15 years and 9 months, shortly before you legally become required to pay NI contributions at 16. old.sparkles, you may be thinking of a Child Reference Number or Child Benefit Number, which is allocated to a child when their parent is in receipt of child benefit for that child. AFAIK this is the same format as a NINO and therefore becomes their NINO when they come of age.

In short, it might be worth for the OP to check whether he already has a NINO if his parents were claiming child benefit for him before they left for New Zealand.

So, in a sense, we were both right. Thanks for the clarification BiP.

old.sparkles May 1st 2017 8:58 am

Maybe - young spark received DLA when he was younger for a variety of reasons, and the reference for this was listed as his NI number, and indeed is the same as was issued on his NI card when he reached 16 (or there abouts). In all dealings I was always asked for his NI number.

scot47 May 1st 2017 9:53 am

It is important to know that NINO. Increasingly, Govt agencies use it as a unique identifier. In my neck of the woods you need one to apply for housing from the Housing Association !

Pulaski May 1st 2017 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12241917)
It is important to know that NINO, increasingly, Govt agencies use it as a unique identifier. ....

That will ease the transition to becoming the 51st state. :nod:

Foffion May 10th 2017 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86 (Post 12201584)
Hi all,

I've been in New Zealand since '95, when my dad took me & my sister to live in New Zealand because he wanted a new start in life. Now naturally I have only dim recollections of life in Britain, as I was very young when I left. I know many people say the country has gone to pot, and may even be past fixing, and I'd be better off here in New Zealand. However in all my years here I've always had a yearning to return, and a lack of connection to NZ. I've talked about leaving several times and done nothing more than get my passport. I believe my indecisiveness on going or staying has been more a fear of the unknown, the uncertainty of what would happen if I left over the certainty of staying.

That said, has anyone else here settled back home after a childhood/early adulthood spend away? If so how hard is it to get used to different slang/accents, money and sometimes reversed seasons? Did locals consider you an outsider or constantly tell you that you should have stayed and/or should go back? Basically how hard is it to settle? From my own research it seems pretty tough to get banking, doctors etc set up when you have no records/past in the UK because you left as child when parents took care of that.

Hello,
I am English but I grew up in Rome. After 35 years in Rome I came back to the UK. I had ZERO problems with banking, doctors, car insurance, rent and everything. Probably because I have a British passport, like you do.
It was not hard for me to get used to the slang, life etc. It did take me a couple of years. The worst things are the weather and the food. I am not planning on staying here for ever because I want to live in Europe.
Hope this helps.
Vivien

Pulaski May 10th 2017 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Foffion (Post 12249803)
.... The worst things are ..... and the food. ....

Seriously? :confused: If you can't find good food in Britain you aren't trying very hard.

Editha May 10th 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12249971)
Seriously? :confused: If you can't find good food in Britain you aren't trying very hard.

But he's Italian. His standards are high.

Pulaski May 10th 2017 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12249992)

"He" has a pink Venus symbol next to his user name, like you do. :nod:

FWIW I have always been rather underwhelmed by Italian cuisine in Italy - meat with no veg, "salad" being nothing but a plate of lettuce, etc. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough either? :unsure:

Editha May 10th 2017 10:08 pm

Apologies to Foffion. I can't see those little gender signs without my glasses on.

Celticprince_86 May 11th 2017 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Foffion (Post 12249803)
Hello,
I am English but I grew up in Rome. After 35 years in Rome I came back to the UK. I had ZERO problems with banking, doctors, car insurance, rent and everything. Probably because I have a British passport, like you do.
It was not hard for me to get used to the slang, life etc. It did take me a couple of years. The worst things are the weather and the food. I am not planning on staying here for ever because I want to live in Europe.
Hope this helps.
Vivien

Thanks, the consensus seems to be that while it sounds difficult, getting banking, doctors etc isn't too difficult. I have to admit, the weather & food are two of Britain's main selling points for me! Though I expect it'll take a while to get used to.

Gordon Barlow May 11th 2017 5:19 am

Re the clothing budget... I must be a lot poorer (or stingier) than all the other posters here, but when I am in England I start my shopping in the op-shops. There is an excellent variety of them in most towns and cities, with some good quality clothes. Some crap, too, as you'd expect; but I think our Celtic Prince shouldn't ignore them, especially if he hasn't got much money to play with.

Celticprince_86 May 11th 2017 5:29 am

I may have to do the same - at least in part. I probably ought to have held off on buying the ticket, but I decided to follow my heart and not my head this time and make the best of it come what may.

morpeth May 11th 2017 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12249992)

Exactly. While there is a lot more variety, and quality in many areas, for cuisine and food availability in Britain compared to 30 or 40 years ago, still cant even remotely compare to most parts of Italy. That is the problem of having lived in Italy, afterwards almost any country you go to you miss the Italian cuisine- especially if moving to the UK or USA.

morpeth May 11th 2017 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12249997)
"He" has a pink Venus symbol next to his user name, like you do. :nod:

FWIW I have always been rather underwhelmed by Italian cuisine in Italy - meat with no veg, "salad" being nothing but a plate of lettuce, etc. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough either? :unsure:

Interesting, as for me I find I eat more vegetables when in Italy though usually needs to be ordered separately compared to being an additional add-on to a menu item.

morpeth May 11th 2017 8:06 am

If a British citizen born and grew up overseas, at 15 years and 9 months can they apply for NI number , or do they need to be residing in UK to do so ?
Or can they apply beforehand from abroad or using Uk address ?

BritInParis May 11th 2017 8:12 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12250239)
If a British citizen born and grew up overseas, at 15 years and 9 months can they apply for NI number , or do they need to be residing in UK to do so ?

They would need to be in the UK. It's based on residence, not citizenship.

Foffion May 11th 2017 8:16 am

You need to apply from the UK. I applied for my husband, you can do it online and it takes a couple of minutes.

vikingsail May 11th 2017 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12250234)
Exactly. While there is a lot more variety, and quality in many areas, for cuisine and food availability in Britain compared to 30 or 40 years ago, still cant even remotely compare to most parts of Italy. That is the problem of having lived in Italy, afterwards almost any country you go to you miss the Italian cuisine- especially if moving to the UK or USA.

We have excellent Italian food in the US! I'm going to Olive Garden this evening

morpeth May 12th 2017 7:57 am

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 12250934)
We have excellent Italian food in the US! I'm going to Olive Garden this evening

If I worked for Italian consulate I would institute a lawsuit against Olive Garden ever mentioning their food was Italian !

Foffion May 12th 2017 8:31 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12251151)
If I worked for Italian consulate I would institute a lawsuit against Olive Garden ever mentioning their food was Italian !

Me too.

durham_lad May 16th 2017 8:50 am

I've just been looking at this myself as our son moved to the US when he was 4 and now in his 30's is moving back in October. Since we have a Jobs Centre Plus on the high street I even walked in and asked about it.

As the others said, you have to be a UK resident to apply for a NINO but not having one doesn't prevent you from applying for a job.

Celticprince_86 May 17th 2017 1:36 am

Just a bit a a blog post really.
I still can hardly believe that by years end I'll be what I have wanted to be for the past 23 years. I am slowly adjusting my mind to think in terms of pounds not dollars and to really accept that my dearest wish is coming true. I went to travelex today and got some pounds while the exchange is still over .50. I now have £320 in mostly "well worn" 20's which cost me $622. Not a bad exchange rate, but I would have liked more. Can't win 'em all.I just found out that the is no £100 note and that the £50 may soon go too. What? I'm so used to having notes from $5 to $100 here. I also have to keep reminding myself that a higher number is not the same as more purchasing power. It is difficult though. It is becoming increasingly apparent that as prepared as I thought I was, moving to the UK is going to be a big change. I really should have held off for a while before booking my flight, but in the end I wouldn't have it any other way.

BritInParis May 17th 2017 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86 (Post 12254191)
I still can hardly believe that by years end I'll be what I have wanted to be for the past 23 years. I am slowly adjusting my mind to think in terms of pounds not dollars and to really accept that my dearest wish is coming true. I went to travelex today and got some pounds while the exchange is still over .50. I now have £320 in mostly "well worn" 20's which cost me $622. Not a bad exchange rate, but I would have liked more. Can't win 'em all.I just found out that the is no £100 note and that the £50 may soon go too. What? I'm so used to having notes from $5 to $100 here. I also have to keep reminding myself that a higher number is not the same as more purchasing power. It is difficult though. It is becoming increasingly apparent that as prepared as I thought I was, moving to the UK is going to be a big change. I really should have held off for a while before booking my flight, but in the end I wouldn't have it any other way.

£50 notes are uncommon - 99.9% of ATMs won't have them. You usually only get them if you are making a large cash withdrawal from your bank.

Trepidation is normal and actually quite healthy. You don't want to get too blase about such a move or the culture shock might blindside you. At the same time it's going to be an adventure and something very memorable. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

durham_lad May 17th 2017 9:11 am

Last year I had cause to withdraw £8,600 in cash and it all came in £20 notes. I think the elimination of large denomination notes is because they are mostly used in criminal activities ( the proverbial briefcase full of cash) and also not readily accepted by stores who don't know what they look like.

curleytops May 17th 2017 10:22 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12254337)
Last year I had cause to withdraw £8,600 in cash and it all came in £20 notes. I think the elimination of large denomination notes is because they are mostly used in criminal activities ( the proverbial briefcase full of cash) and also not readily accepted by stores who don't know what they look like.

I don't think I've seen a £50 since I ordered Sterling in Canada before coming here on my recce trip 6 1/2 years ago. I seem to recall I had a rough time spending them in the shops; they aren't popular.

cdfergus May 17th 2017 5:09 pm

I am going to UK in September. Is it advisable to buy pounds before going?

Thanks,
Chris

Celticprince_86 May 17th 2017 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by cdfergus (Post 12254739)

Thanks,
Chris

Well I have, both because I find it helpful in getting my mind thinking of "I have this much saved, and ths is how much stuff will cost" rather than "I have this much saved" and then being caught out because of the differance. And also, because I didn't know when/if the pound would become more expensive to buy later.

At the end of the day, it's a judgement best left to you.

durham_lad May 17th 2017 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by cdfergus (Post 12254739)

Thanks,
Chris

I've traveled to several foreign countries without taking cash with me, relying on my US ATM card to get cash on arrival.

When we visited my brother in Australia in 2014 I used xe.com to send a bunch of Oz $s to him and he gave me the cash on arrival. These days I would use Transferwise to do the same thing.

cdfergus May 17th 2017 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86 (Post 12254815)
Well I have, both because I find it helpful in getting my mind thinking of "I have this much saved, and ths is how much stuff will cost" rather than "I have this much saved" and then being caught out because of the differance. And also, because I didn't know when/if the pound would become more expensive to buy later.

At the end of the day, it's a judgement best left to you.

Thanks, no harm in checking with my bank I suppose!

Celticprince_86 May 17th 2017 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by cdfergus (Post 12254830)
Thanks, no harm in checking with my bank I suppose!

Good luck!

HKG3 May 19th 2017 3:59 pm

I just found out that the is no £100 note and that the £50 may soon go too.

Scottish and Northern Irish banks do print and use £100 banknotes.

Current Banknotes :: Current Banknotes

As far as I know, all three Scottish banks (Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank and the Royal Bank of Scotland) produce £100 banknotes.

Celticprince_86 May 19th 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by HKG3 (Post 12256136)
Scottish and Northern Irish banks do print and use £100 banknotes.

Current Banknotes :: Current Banknotes

As far as I know, all three Scottish banks (Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank and the Royal Bank of Scotland) produce £100 banknotes.

Aye, and I'll get one if I ever go to Scotland, but I meant there's no 100 pound note that is legal tender throughout the UK.

Speaking of money, what's the best way to get notes that are in good condition? Because all the ones I got are a bit worn, and one even has a little stamp on it.

Pulaski May 23rd 2017 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86 (Post 12256262)
Aye, and I'll get one if I ever go to Scotland, but I meant there's no 100 pound note that is legal tender throughout the UK. ....

Scottish banknotes aren't legal tender, even in Scotland. Curiously Bank of England banknotes aren't legal tender in Scotland either! :rofl:

The Scottish and Irish banks treat their own banknotes as a marketing overhead as there is no purely financial imperative for them to issue their own banknotes, and they can only issues notes backed 100% by a matching deposit with the Bank of England, otherwise Scottish and Irish banknotes would increase the money supply, but the deposit with the Bank of England takes the same amount of money out of circulation.

.... Speaking of money, what's the best way to get notes that are in good condition? Because all the ones I got are a bit worn, and one even has a little stamp on it.
Why are you concerned, and why do you need more than a few anyway? :confused:

You usually get half-decent notes from a cash point because ratty notes might jam the mechanism.

I use very little cash, and if it wasn't for pocket money for my daughter I could survive on $20 for three months in the US, and most of that would go on small tips. I would bet that £20 would last me six months in the UK.

morpeth May 23rd 2017 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12253573)
I've just been looking at this myself as our son moved to the US when he was 4 and now in his 30's is moving back in October. Since we have a Jobs Centre Plus on the high street I even walked in and asked about it.

As the others said, you have to be a UK resident to apply for a NINO but not having one doesn't prevent you from applying for a job.

Thanks, I just asked the same question at a local employer. My oldest son I have been discussing his moving back to the North East. He spent summers in Northumberland growing up but been away for a while now. Comparing the life he could have in Northumberland vs his life in USA, he would have a better quality of life in Northumberland with exception of the price of a decent home.

durham_lad May 23rd 2017 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12258827)
Thanks, I just asked the same question at a local employer. My oldest son I have been discussing his moving back to the North East. He spent summers in Northumberland growing up but been away for a while now. Comparing the life he could have in Northumberland vs his life in USA, he would have a better quality of life in Northumberland with exception of the price of a decent home.

In 2013 we spent a few nights in a farmhouse b&b near Twice Brewed with our son, and on the drive back to N Yorks we went via B roads through some of the villages, and he said that he would love to live in a small place in Northumberland or North Yorkshire. (He was born in Middlesbrough)

Celticprince_86 May 24th 2017 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12258815)
Scottish banknotes aren't legal tender, even in Scotland. Curiously Bank of England banknotes aren't legal tender in Scotland either! :rofl:

The Scottish and Irish banks treat their own banknotes as a marketing overhead as there is no purely financial imperative for them to issue their own banknotes, and they can only issues notes backed 100% by a matching deposit with the Bank of England, otherwise Scottish and Irish banknotes would increase the money supply, but the deposit with the Bank of England takes the same amount of money out of circulation.

Why are you concerned, and why do you need more than a few anyway? :confused:

You usually get half-decent notes from a cash point because ratty notes might jam the mechanism.

I use very little cash, and if it wasn't for pocket money for my daughter I could survive on $20 for three months in the US, and most of that would go on small tips. I would bet that £20 would last me six months in the UK.

Huh, what a marvellously complicated money system Britain has! No notes are legal tender, yet they are usually accepted as payment.:lol:

I got my notes from a money exchange place, so with 1-2 exceptions they're what people had left over after a trip to the UK, so are in well used condition. I am worried that they may not be in good enough nick to be accepted, though I suppose they wouldn't have been given to me if they were in too poor condition. I have £320 so it's a fair amount of money.

Pulaski May 24th 2017 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86 (Post 12259129)
Huh, what a marvellously complicated money system Britain has! No notes are legal tender, yet they are usually accepted as payment.:lol:

I got my notes from a money exchange place, so with 1-2 exceptions they're what people had left over after a trip to the UK, so are in well used condition. I am worried that they may not be in good enough nick to be accepted, though I suppose they wouldn't have been given to me if they were in too poor condition. I have £320 so it's a fair amount of money.

It is unlikely that they are too worn to be used - there are some pretty trashy notes in circulation in the UK, but if you are worried that they are too worn to be accepted you should be able to exchange them at any bank. Certainly having writing on them isn't at all unusual and in no way invalidates them.

old.sparkles May 24th 2017 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86 (Post 12259129)

Not sure I'd call £320 a 'fair amount' :unsure:

Did you buy a return ticket to the UK? What are your plans financially? £320 will not go far.

Celticprince_86 May 24th 2017 4:59 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12259217)
Not sure I'd call £320 a 'fair amount' :unsure:

Well revatively speaking of course -compared to a tenner and some change.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12259217)
Did you buy a return ticket to the UK? What are your plans financially? £320 will not go far.

Nope, one way, NZ-UK. My plan is to have a job and accommodation sorted between now & Nov 23rd.

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12259202)
It is unlikely that they are too worn to be used - there are some pretty trashy notes in circulation in the UK, but if you are worried that they are too worn to be accepted you should be able to exchange them at any bank. Certainly having writing on them isn't at all unusual and in no way invalidates them.

Thanks, that's what i thought, but I am trying to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. Not leaving things to the last minute etc. They're probably fine, and I'm just being over cautious.