Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Old May 12th 2017, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Foffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Originally Posted by morpeth
If I worked for Italian consulate I would institute a lawsuit against Olive Garden ever mentioning their food was Italian !
Me too.
Old May 16th 2017, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
If a British citizen born and grew up overseas, at 15 years and 9 months can they apply for NI number , or do they need to be residing in UK to do so ?
Or can they apply beforehand from abroad or using Uk address ?
I've just been looking at this myself as our son moved to the US when he was 4 and now in his 30's is moving back in October. Since we have a Jobs Centre Plus on the high street I even walked in and asked about it.

As the others said, you have to be a UK resident to apply for a NINO but not having one doesn't prevent you from applying for a job.
Old May 17th 2017, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Just a bit a a blog post really.
I still can hardly believe that by years end I'll be what I have wanted to be for the past 23 years. I am slowly adjusting my mind to think in terms of pounds not dollars and to really accept that my dearest wish is coming true. I went to travelex today and got some pounds while the exchange is still over .50. I now have £320 in mostly "well worn" 20's which cost me $622. Not a bad exchange rate, but I would have liked more. Can't win 'em all.I just found out that the is no £100 note and that the £50 may soon go too. What? I'm so used to having notes from $5 to $100 here. I also have to keep reminding myself that a higher number is not the same as more purchasing power. It is difficult though. It is becoming increasingly apparent that as prepared as I thought I was, moving to the UK is going to be a big change. I really should have held off for a while before booking my flight, but in the end I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old May 17th 2017, 8:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
I still can hardly believe that by years end I'll be what I have wanted to be for the past 23 years. I am slowly adjusting my mind to think in terms of pounds not dollars and to really accept that my dearest wish is coming true. I went to travelex today and got some pounds while the exchange is still over .50. I now have £320 in mostly "well worn" 20's which cost me $622. Not a bad exchange rate, but I would have liked more. Can't win 'em all.I just found out that the is no £100 note and that the £50 may soon go too. What? I'm so used to having notes from $5 to $100 here. I also have to keep reminding myself that a higher number is not the same as more purchasing power. It is difficult though. It is becoming increasingly apparent that as prepared as I thought I was, moving to the UK is going to be a big change. I really should have held off for a while before booking my flight, but in the end I wouldn't have it any other way.
£50 notes are uncommon - 99.9% of ATMs won't have them. You usually only get them if you are making a large cash withdrawal from your bank.

Trepidation is normal and actually quite healthy. You don't want to get too blase about such a move or the culture shock might blindside you. At the same time it's going to be an adventure and something very memorable. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old May 17th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I had cause to withdraw £8,600 in cash and it all came in £20 notes. I think the elimination of large denomination notes is because they are mostly used in criminal activities ( the proverbial briefcase full of cash) and also not readily accepted by stores who don't know what they look like.
Old May 17th 2017, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Last year I had cause to withdraw £8,600 in cash and it all came in £20 notes. I think the elimination of large denomination notes is because they are mostly used in criminal activities ( the proverbial briefcase full of cash) and also not readily accepted by stores who don't know what they look like.
I don't think I've seen a £50 since I ordered Sterling in Canada before coming here on my recce trip 6 1/2 years ago. I seem to recall I had a rough time spending them in the shops; they aren't popular.
Old May 17th 2017, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road

I am going to UK in September. Is it advisable to buy pounds before going?

Thanks,
Chris
Old May 17th 2017, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cdfergus

Thanks,
Chris
Well I have, both because I find it helpful in getting my mind thinking of "I have this much saved, and ths is how much stuff will cost" rather than "I have this much saved" and then being caught out because of the differance. And also, because I didn't know when/if the pound would become more expensive to buy later.

At the end of the day, it's a judgement best left to you.
Old May 17th 2017, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks,
Chris
I've traveled to several foreign countries without taking cash with me, relying on my US ATM card to get cash on arrival.

When we visited my brother in Australia in 2014 I used xe.com to send a bunch of Oz $s to him and he gave me the cash on arrival. These days I would use Transferwise to do the same thing.
Old May 17th 2017, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road

Well I have, both because I find it helpful in getting my mind thinking of "I have this much saved, and ths is how much stuff will cost" rather than "I have this much saved" and then being caught out because of the differance. And also, because I didn't know when/if the pound would become more expensive to buy later.

At the end of the day, it's a judgement best left to you.
Thanks, no harm in checking with my bank I suppose!
Old May 17th 2017, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, no harm in checking with my bank I suppose!
Good luck!
Old May 19th 2017, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

I just found out that the is no £100 note and that the £50 may soon go too.
Scottish and Northern Irish banks do print and use £100 banknotes.

Current Banknotes :: Current Banknotes

As far as I know, all three Scottish banks (Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank and the Royal Bank of Scotland) produce £100 banknotes.
Old May 19th 2017, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HKG3
Scottish and Northern Irish banks do print and use £100 banknotes.

Current Banknotes :: Current Banknotes

As far as I know, all three Scottish banks (Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank and the Royal Bank of Scotland) produce £100 banknotes.
Aye, and I'll get one if I ever go to Scotland, but I meant there's no 100 pound note that is legal tender throughout the UK.

Speaking of money, what's the best way to get notes that are in good condition? Because all the ones I got are a bit worn, and one even has a little stamp on it.

Last edited by Celticprince_86; May 19th 2017 at 8:54 pm.
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, and I'll get one if I ever go to Scotland, but I meant there's no 100 pound note that is legal tender throughout the UK. ....
Scottish banknotes aren't legal tender, even in Scotland. Curiously Bank of England banknotes aren't legal tender in Scotland either!

The Scottish and Irish banks treat their own banknotes as a marketing overhead as there is no purely financial imperative for them to issue their own banknotes, and they can only issues notes backed 100% by a matching deposit with the Bank of England, otherwise Scottish and Irish banknotes would increase the money supply, but the deposit with the Bank of England takes the same amount of money out of circulation.
.... Speaking of money, what's the best way to get notes that are in good condition? Because all the ones I got are a bit worn, and one even has a little stamp on it.
Why are you concerned, and why do you need more than a few anyway?

You usually get half-decent notes from a cash point because ratty notes might jam the mechanism.

I use very little cash, and if it wasn't for pocket money for my daughter I could survive on $20 for three months in the US, and most of that would go on small tips. I would bet that £20 would last me six months in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 23rd 2017 at 4:48 pm.
Old May 23rd 2017, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I've just been looking at this myself as our son moved to the US when he was 4 and now in his 30's is moving back in October. Since we have a Jobs Centre Plus on the high street I even walked in and asked about it.

As the others said, you have to be a UK resident to apply for a NINO but not having one doesn't prevent you from applying for a job.
Thanks, I just asked the same question at a local employer. My oldest son I have been discussing his moving back to the North East. He spent summers in Northumberland growing up but been away for a while now. Comparing the life he could have in Northumberland vs his life in USA, he would have a better quality of life in Northumberland with exception of the price of a decent home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.