Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Old May 10th 2017, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Foffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
Hi all,

I've been in New Zealand since '95, when my dad took me & my sister to live in New Zealand because he wanted a new start in life. Now naturally I have only dim recollections of life in Britain, as I was very young when I left. I know many people say the country has gone to pot, and may even be past fixing, and I'd be better off here in New Zealand. However in all my years here I've always had a yearning to return, and a lack of connection to NZ. I've talked about leaving several times and done nothing more than get my passport. I believe my indecisiveness on going or staying has been more a fear of the unknown, the uncertainty of what would happen if I left over the certainty of staying.

That said, has anyone else here settled back home after a childhood/early adulthood spend away? If so how hard is it to get used to different slang/accents, money and sometimes reversed seasons? Did locals consider you an outsider or constantly tell you that you should have stayed and/or should go back? Basically how hard is it to settle? From my own research it seems pretty tough to get banking, doctors etc set up when you have no records/past in the UK because you left as child when parents took care of that.
Hello,
I am English but I grew up in Rome. After 35 years in Rome I came back to the UK. I had ZERO problems with banking, doctors, car insurance, rent and everything. Probably because I have a British passport, like you do.
It was not hard for me to get used to the slang, life etc. It did take me a couple of years. The worst things are the weather and the food. I am not planning on staying here for ever because I want to live in Europe.
Hope this helps.
Vivien

Last edited by Foffion; May 10th 2017 at 5:06 pm.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foffion
.... The worst things are ..... and the food. ....
Seriously? If you can't find good food in Britain you aren't trying very hard.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:53 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Seriously? If you can't find good food in Britain you aren't trying very hard.
But he's Italian. His standards are high.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
"He" has a pink Venus symbol next to his user name, like you do.

FWIW I have always been rather underwhelmed by Italian cuisine in Italy - meat with no veg, "salad" being nothing but a plate of lettuce, etc. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough either?

Last edited by Pulaski; May 10th 2017 at 10:01 pm.
Old May 10th 2017, 10:08 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies to Foffion. I can't see those little gender signs without my glasses on.
Old May 11th 2017, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Foffion
Hello,
I am English but I grew up in Rome. After 35 years in Rome I came back to the UK. I had ZERO problems with banking, doctors, car insurance, rent and everything. Probably because I have a British passport, like you do.
It was not hard for me to get used to the slang, life etc. It did take me a couple of years. The worst things are the weather and the food. I am not planning on staying here for ever because I want to live in Europe.
Hope this helps.
Vivien
Thanks, the consensus seems to be that while it sounds difficult, getting banking, doctors etc isn't too difficult. I have to admit, the weather & food are two of Britain's main selling points for me! Though I expect it'll take a while to get used to.
Old May 11th 2017, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Re the clothing budget... I must be a lot poorer (or stingier) than all the other posters here, but when I am in England I start my shopping in the op-shops. There is an excellent variety of them in most towns and cities, with some good quality clothes. Some crap, too, as you'd expect; but I think our Celtic Prince shouldn't ignore them, especially if he hasn't got much money to play with.
Old May 11th 2017, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

I may have to do the same - at least in part. I probably ought to have held off on buying the ticket, but I decided to follow my heart and not my head this time and make the best of it come what may.
Old May 11th 2017, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Exactly. While there is a lot more variety, and quality in many areas, for cuisine and food availability in Britain compared to 30 or 40 years ago, still cant even remotely compare to most parts of Italy. That is the problem of having lived in Italy, afterwards almost any country you go to you miss the Italian cuisine- especially if moving to the UK or USA.
Old May 11th 2017, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"He" has a pink Venus symbol next to his user name, like you do.

FWIW I have always been rather underwhelmed by Italian cuisine in Italy - meat with no veg, "salad" being nothing but a plate of lettuce, etc. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough either?
Interesting, as for me I find I eat more vegetables when in Italy though usually needs to be ordered separately compared to being an additional add-on to a menu item.
Old May 11th 2017, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A NINO is ordinarily issued at 15 years and 9 months, shortly before you legally become required to pay NI contributions at 16. old.sparkles, you may be thinking of a Child Reference Number or Child Benefit Number, which is allocated to a child when their parent is in receipt of child benefit for that child. AFAIK this is the same format as a NINO and therefore becomes their NINO when they come of age.

In short, it might be worth for the OP to check whether he already has a NINO if his parents were claiming child benefit for him before they left for New Zealand.
If a British citizen born and grew up overseas, at 15 years and 9 months can they apply for NI number , or do they need to be residing in UK to do so ?
Or can they apply beforehand from abroad or using Uk address ?
Old May 11th 2017, 8:12 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
If a British citizen born and grew up overseas, at 15 years and 9 months can they apply for NI number , or do they need to be residing in UK to do so ?
They would need to be in the UK. It's based on residence, not citizenship.
Old May 11th 2017, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Foffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to behold

You need to apply from the UK. I applied for my husband, you can do it online and it takes a couple of minutes.
Old May 11th 2017, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. While there is a lot more variety, and quality in many areas, for cuisine and food availability in Britain compared to 30 or 40 years ago, still cant even remotely compare to most parts of Italy. That is the problem of having lived in Italy, afterwards almost any country you go to you miss the Italian cuisine- especially if moving to the UK or USA.
We have excellent Italian food in the US! I'm going to Olive Garden this evening
Old May 12th 2017, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by vikingsail
We have excellent Italian food in the US! I'm going to Olive Garden this evening
If I worked for Italian consulate I would institute a lawsuit against Olive Garden ever mentioning their food was Italian !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.