Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Old Apr 21st 2017, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Originally Posted by geoff52
Isn't human nature wonderful. There are some people in UK desperate to immigrate and others who have immigrated desperate to return. I suppose the grass looks greener on the other side, until you get there and see it's AstroTurf.
Or as we say on BE...same sh*t, different bucket.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Or as we say on BE...same sh*t, different bucket.
Oh, I know the UK isn't all castles, scenic little villages and endless tea and scones, but I feel so strongly that I have to go back to where I feel is "home" and try and make britain a better place. I know I'll probably complain about the cold, and the shops, and the food. I know for a while I'll compare everything unfavourably to what it's like in New Zealand. My dad did that (probably still does) for years after arriving. The drivers were bad, the summer was too hot, ad breaks too long etc, etc. But he eventually settled, and decided to become a citizen. It's just a matter of adjusting, and accepting the rough with the smooth.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
Oh, I know the UK isn't all castles, scenic little villages and endless tea and scones, but I feel so strongly that I have to go back to where I feel is "home" and try and make britain a better place. I know I'll probably complain about the cold, and the shops, and the food. I know for a while I'll compare everything unfavourably to what it's like in New Zealand. My dad did that (probably still does) for years after arriving. The drivers were bad, the summer was too hot, ad breaks too long etc, etc. But he eventually settled, and decided to become a citizen. It's just a matter of adjusting, and accepting the rough with the smooth.
It's meant mainly for people who think moving to a new country is going to solve their problems. It usually doesn't...you take them with you.

You are young and seem to have the right attitude to make a go of it. As I said earlier...good luck to you.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 8:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's meant mainly for people who think moving to a new country is going to solve their problems. It usually doesn't...you take them with you. ....

You are young and seem to have the right attitude to make a go of it. ......
I must be young and have the right attitude too then, because there ain't much §4!t in my bucket.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

It's meant mainly for people who think moving to a new country is going to solve their problems. It usually doesn't...you take them with you.

You are young and seem to have the right attitude to make a go of it. As I said earlier...good luck to you.
Thanks! I just feel that all the things I want to see and do are in the UK. My hope is to be a tour guide, and show people how awesome my home city is! Plus I may even get to dress as a Roman!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 9:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I must be young and have the right attitude too then, because there ain't much §4!t in my bucket.
Well I do call you 'young man'.

Thanks! I just feel that all the things I want to see and do are in the UK. My hope is to be a tour guide, and show people how awesome my home city is! Plus I may even get to dress as a Roman!
If it doesn't work out you can always move back...richer for the experience.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 10:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well I do call you 'young man'. ....
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ohwottodo
I think you have to have a permanent address in the UK to get a national Insurance number.
Weather will be Cold ! Coat, fleece, jeans.
best of luck to you - keep this thread updated as to what is going on and how you are doing!
Thanks, that's good advice. I will keep everyone upto date as things progress.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Congratulations on taking the plunge!

Expect it to be cool and damp, with possible overnight frosts, don't expect it to be warmer than around 10°-12°C - it could be warmer, but don't expect it to be. Needless to say it could rain at any time - that's not to say it will rain every day, but it could.

Sunset in late November/early December is going to be around 4.15pm, and will eventually recede further, back to before 4pm by December 21st. Sunrise won't be until around 8am. .... On days when there is heavy cloud, it will feel like the sun barely rises at all - in December it is only about 15° above the horizon!
That's pretty much what my auntie said. I remember the early sunsets in winter.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I don't often visit here, but popped in for a squizz.
Your feelings about 'no connection' resonated with me. I am just a wee tad older than you...., but know that sentiment only too well.

I do not regret taking my childy out to Oz in '77. I regret staying so long though, but made a promise in '87 to a fretting grandchild and stayed another 25 years. It is nice to see that you have no illusions about what you may face and what you may feel.

There is little point in my following many here who have related their experience in Oz settlement, or UK resettlement. I am critical of both countries so there is little point. I have no illusions about either, and see the bureaucratic problems in both countries foisted upon their citizens by political ideology from all sides of the political spectrum;-as the same either side of the pond. The very people who feel the need to enter politics to influence the way a country is run-are the ones least suited to the job!

People here are much the same as Australia, with an overriding focus on immigration.
One bonus for me was coming back for places not people, who seem to be evolving into ever increasing self absorption and greed.

....................and it's the best thing I have ever done. My first two and a half years here were blistering, something I won't go into; but the minute I landed; still at the airport, that lack of connection vanished. I have gone through my baptism of fire and live peacefully in a beautiful part of the country. I have learned to appreciate this country (side) in a way that I never did before.

The Australian generally never criticizes his country, perhaps likewise the Kiwi? The UKer repeatedly does. That is why there is this 'I know it's going to be hard, but' thing for those who want to return. That's rap (with a silent c...). It is the same as as anywhere else. For me personally: a rich history, easy access to Europe, and the most stunning countryside you will see anywhere, with January giving masses of snowdrops, and Spring with daffodils growing on roadsides, gardens, everywhere, primroses, then woodland fields of bluebells.
How the hell did I never notice this before?

Bottom line? You are qualified to return. You are qualified because you are realistic. That is all you need as a background support, the rest will come with working at it and being undaunted.
And if it doesn't settle your soul, then you can go back.

All good wishes to you.

(I suppose I have now related my experience !)
Old Apr 24th 2017, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect you have an NI number allocated at birth, although you only receive the plastic card once old enough to work - can your parents dig out any old family allowance letters or Post Office accounts with details on?
Same with your National Health Service number. If your father can remember your old GP surgery, they should be able to give you this information.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 5:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
I suspect you have an NI number allocated at birth, although you only receive the plastic card once old enough to work - can your parents dig out any old family allowance letters or Post Office accounts with details on?
Same with your National Health Service number. If your father can remember your old GP surgery, they should be able to give you this information.
I suspect that you're wrong on both counts. NINO's weren't issued at birth but only when you applied for one after the age of 16 (back in the pre-1970's).

NHS numbers on the other hand, were issued the first time one accessed NHS services (probably at birth). These days, you only need your full name, date and place of birth (a city or a town) for any GP practice in the UK to find the number in a few seconds.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that's good advice. I will keep everyone upto date as things progress.

That's pretty much what my auntie said. I remember the early sunsets in winter.
I know how you feel Celtic Prince! I am going home after living in the US for 47 years! I am a wee bit scared but husband is on board and I think we will be fine. I have some cousins left in England but we are making the move to Scotland where I once lived for a few years. Did not want to go back to the rat race of SE England where I was from; just looking for a peaceful end to my days by the sea!

After much discussion with HMRC I find I do not have an NI number and will have to wait until I am living there to apply for one.

I wish you all the best in your journey!

Chris
Old Apr 25th 2017, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cdfergus
I know how you feel Celtic Prince! I am going home after living in the US for 47 years! I am a wee bit scared but husband is on board and I think we will be fine. I have some cousins left in England but we are making the move to Scotland where I once lived for a few years. Did not want to go back to the rat race of SE England where I was from; just looking for a peaceful end to my days by the sea!

After much discussion with HMRC I find I do not have an NI number and will have to wait until I am living there to apply for one.

I wish you all the best in your journey!

Chris
Thanks! Hope everything goes well with you too!

While I'm here, what are some shops that sell afordable clothing in the UK. I always remembered M&S being good quality but reasonable prices, but now they seem really upmarket.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 3:44 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I suspect that you're wrong on both counts. NINO's weren't issued at birth but only when you applied for one after the age of 16 (back in the pre-1970's).

NHS numbers on the other hand, were issued the first time one accessed NHS services (probably at birth). These days, you only need your full name, date and place of birth (a city or a town) for any GP practice in the UK to find the number in a few seconds.
NINO's are issued before the age of 16. I knew young sparks NI since he was around a year old back in 1996, so possibly from birth as was posted.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 12:45 pm

.... While I'm here, what are some shops that sell afordable clothing in the UK. I always remembered M&S being good quality but reasonable prices, but now they seem really upmarket.
That's an interesting perspective because M&S clothes are now, IMO/IME cheaper in both price and quality than they were upto the 1980's; until then most M&S clothes were manufactured in the UK.. That's not to say M&S isn't more expensive than other high street shops such as TK Maxx and Primark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.