Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

settlement visa wife and kids

settlement visa wife and kids

Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

darkstone1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default settlement visa wife and kids

two days reading up and now I feel like I'm going in circles.
Just working out the basics as the plan to move to uk is at least 12 months away.

British Citizen by birth currently married to Australian wife of 5 yrs now.Kids are British citizens except one.
She is my wife's elder child with an Australian father and is under the age of 16.

Now this is where I start getting lost..
I'm not sure if my wife can apply for ILR with out having been in uk to take the "Life test" and skip the spouse visa or are we still required to go the spouse route?

secondly can my wife's elder daughter be added to my wife's application or is it a must that we make an independent application for her even thought she is under the age of 16.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: settlement visa wife and kids

Originally Posted by darkstone1975
I'm not sure if my wife can apply for ILR with out having been in uk to take the "Life test" and skip the spouse visa or are we still required to go the spouse route?
She would need to pass the Life in the UK test before being granted ILR.

If settlement is granted, if you've been married & living outside the UK for 4 or more years (which you don't mention) then your wife would get temporary leave, however she can take the Life in the UK test after she arrives in the UK and apply for ILR straight away (i.e. before the 2 years is up).

Alternatively if she is visiting the UK any time before she applies for settlement, it's possible to take the test as a tourist.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

yes we been married 5 years and in Australia for that period.

so I follow this correctly I apply for ILR but its temp till I complete life test ?
or I apply for spouse then once in uk and completed life test i apply for ILR immediately..

I ask only because the fees involved are not cheap especially if I have to pay for both.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

2 separate applications, so 2 fees. Yes they are expensive!!

My wife will be applying at some point (possibly this year) but fortunately when we lived in the UK she took the test before we left (almost 4 years ago now) and they don't have an expiry - so hopefully she'll get ILR straight away. The fees have gone up big time in the last 5 years.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I understand, your spouse gets a spouse visa (if you've been together outside the UK for 4+ years) and can upgrade this immediately to ILR once she is in the UK and has done the so-called "Knowledge of Life" test, without waiting the normal 2 years.

She should do this as soon as possible after arrival. Not put it off..

16 year old daughter should be included on the spouse visa as a dependent and should apply for ILR at the same time as the mother. Things get harder when she turns 18, so hence time is of the essence.

Even with ILR, the child will need to wait 3 years before being eligible for tertiary education in the UK at home fees rates.

Also, as she will not be able to get British citizenship before age 18, she will need to wait the full standard 5 year residence period for British citizenship.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Ta makes sense a lot more sense
When it comes to applying I assume from what you say that its 1 Form filled out but 2 fees
i.e 1 fee for child and 1 fee for spouse.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

no i dont believe its 2fee's with respects to wife and daughter...its 1 fee for the spouse application, on which the daughter is a dependant...
the second fee comes after you have arrived in the UK, your wife takes the knowledge of life test and then makes an application(this is the 2nd application mentioned) for ILR and pays the fee for that, which is where the 2nd fee comes in
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:16 am
Just Joined

simonjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I add a quick question? I'm in a similar situation, I'm Australia and married to a UK citizen. We're hoping to move back to the UK from Australia once we've been married 4 years, but we will have only lived outside of the UK for 3 of those - do I still get ILR or will I have to get a temporary settlement first?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simonjames
We're hoping to move back to the UK from Australia once we've been married 4 years, but we will have only lived outside of the UK for 3 of those - do I still get ILR or will I have to get a temporary settlement first?
No you wouldn't be able to get ILR, as the requirement is 4 years of both marriage & living outside the UK. In any case, the possibility of acquiring ILR in this manner is likely to be removed from next year - check this thread.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:59 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the requirement was just to be married 4 years or more. I didn't think it mattered whether all 4 years had to be outside the UK?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I thought the requirement was just to be married 4 years or more. I didn't think it mattered whether all 4 years had to be outside the UK?
You thought wrong. You need to have been both living outside the UK and married (or be a civil partner) for at least 4 years at time of applying.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
You thought wrong. You need to have been both living outside the UK and married (or be a civil partner) for at least 4 years at time of applying.
Oh, so if the foreign spouse lived 10 years in the UK and had ILR for many years (like my DH), then we moved to the US and wanted to come back to the UK after 3 years, he'd have to get Limited Leave to Remain and wait 2 years (or 5 years if that's what it is then) before he could get ILR again? Seems a bit crazy to me, surely the integrity of the marriage subsisting is proved wherever you live?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:08 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulpur
no i dont believe its 2fee's with respects to wife and daughter...its 1 fee for the spouse application, on which the daughter is a dependant...
the second fee comes after you have arrived in the UK, your wife takes the knowledge of life test and then makes an application(this is the 2nd application mentioned) for ILR and pays the fee for that, which is where the 2nd fee comes in
One fee for each person in AUS
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

really? i thought it was 1 fee for the application...i stand corrected lol , sorry about the mis-information , at least i know the correct stuff now
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:32 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Alternatively if she is visiting the UK any time before she applies for settlement, it's possible to take the test as a tourist.

That's been the case, but another poster mentioned that they recently tried to apply online from the US and that postcode verification is now needed. No one responded to this person's post, so I thought I'd check it out myself, so I went online and registered under a pseudonym and started ticking through the registration process, and sure enough, when it came to the requirement to enter your UK address, this is what it said:
Please enter your house number and postcode below.
You will be asked for proof of your postcode on the day of your test. If this isn't correct, you may be refused your test and your test fee will not be refunded.
So it appears that although you can still book the test online from outside the UK, you are going to need proof of a UK address when you show up at the test centre.

Of course, there is a chance that they might not even ask, but I certainly wouldn't risk it.

I took the test last December (we moved to the UK in August) and I honestly can't remember if the above wording was on the website at the time I booked my test or not.

Anyoldroad, this might be something people bear in mind from here on out.

Last edited by DDL; Jul 22nd 2011 at 2:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.