Settlement Visa ??? UK

Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

DragonHeart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Settlement Visa ??? UK

Hi ppl,

Hope someone can help im probably in the wrong place asking this but hopefully someone might know something

I am british and my wife is american, we obtained a 2 year spouse visa last november, and she has been living with me in the uk for the last year, we obviously live together, both have jobs, bank accounts etc etc this visa is due to expire in november 2008.......

I could find a settlement application form on the goverment website but this was only for people living outside of the uk ?

Where do i find out or go to,to extend it to permanant stay / settlement ? so she can stay in the uk with me after the 2 years is complete ? can i apply for it now or do i have to wait until nearer the 2 years is up ?

Also is it a hard process again to obtain as the spouse visa wasnt the most simple things to obtain...

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thx

Last edited by DragonHeart; Jan 7th 2008 at 6:37 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:29 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Settlement Visa ??? UK

Start here with a brief explanation of applying for ILR, (Indefinite Leave to Remain).

Your wife will need to take a knowledge of life in the UK test before she can apply for ILR.

The earliest ILR can be applied for is 28 days prior to the expiry of her present visa. It can be done in person if your case is straightforward at a cost of £950 or by post for the lesser fee of £750.

You can find plenty of advice and posts on this on uk-yankee.com.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you will need to apply for the ILR (Indefinate Leave to Remain).

Check out UK/Yankee: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/

Your wife also needs to pass the Life in the UK Test.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:33 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DragonHeart
Also is it a hard process again to obtain as the spouse visa wasnt the most simple things to obtain...
The UK spousal visa process is a walk in the park compared to the US spousal visa! If you meet all the criteria then it shouldn't be hard at all.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

DragonHeart is an unknown quantity at this point

Thx for the quick replys

Still seems alot of paperwork but my main concern is is due to house prices in the uk, we are finding it difficult to get our own place, so we are currently living and saving up with my parents.......

Will this be ok when applying for ILR, and what documents would i need to support this, its just the house prices seem on the up and up and i cant see that we will have saved enough by that time.

Thx in advance for any help or info.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:33 pm
Former Blonde

Originally Posted by DragonHeart
Thx for the quick replys

Still seems alot of paperwork but my main concern is is due to house prices in the uk, we are finding it difficult to get our own place, so we are currently living and saving up with my parents.......

Will this be ok when applying for ILR, and what documents would i need to support this, its just the house prices seem on the up and up and i cant see that we will have saved enough by that time.

Thx in advance for any help or info.
Have you considered renting instead of buying? You don't have to own a house in order to show that you're paying your way.