Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

'Serious Reasons' why a child should reside with a lone parent in UK

'Serious Reasons' why a child should reside with a lone parent in UK

Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:01 am
Just Joined

sweetmummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Serious Reasons' why a child should reside with a lone parent in UK

On the UK Border website, a child must have SERIOUS REASONS for settling in the UK with only one parent. I know that in the past refugees have claimed reasons like female genital mutilation, war, probably famine or abuse. Are my reasons too mild? They are genuine anyway. I am fighting for his human rights. In a nutshell, I cater for the child financially in terms of education and clothing and there is no private family accommodation so they have been living with friends for over a year. The young child has also been without his mother for almost 5 years and it is affecting him emotionally.

According to the UN, The Convention applies to everyone: whatever their ethnicity, gender, religion, abilities, whatever they think or say, whatever type of family they come from. Issues I can identify with in this case are:

Every child has the right to a standard of living that is good enough to meet their physical, social and mental needs. Every child has the right to an education. Primary education must be free. Secondary education must be available to every child. Education must develop every child’s personality, talents and abilities to the full.

The best interests of the child must be a top priority in all things that affect children. Governments must respect the rights and responsibilities of parents and carers to direct and guide their child as they grow up, so that they enjoy their rights properly. Every child has the right to say what they think in all matters affecting them, and to have their views taken seriously.
Every child has the right to privacy. The law should protect the child’s private, family and home life. Every child has the right to relax, play and take part in a wide range of cultural and artistic activities.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:22 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Serious Reasons' why a child should reside with a lone parent in UK

Originally Posted by sweetmummy
On the UK Border website, a child must have SERIOUS REASONS for settling in the UK with only one parent. I know that in the past refugees have claimed reasons like female genital mutilation, war, probably famine or abuse. Are my reasons too mild? They are genuine anyway. I am fighting for his human rights. In a nutshell, I cater for the child financially in terms of education and clothing and there is no private family accommodation so they have been living with friends for over a year. The young child has also been without his mother for almost 5 years and it is affecting him emotionally.

According to the UN, The Convention applies to everyone: whatever their ethnicity, gender, religion, abilities, whatever they think or say, whatever type of family they come from. Issues I can identify with in this case are:

Every child has the right to a standard of living that is good enough to meet their physical, social and mental needs. Every child has the right to an education. Primary education must be free. Secondary education must be available to every child. Educationally must develop every child’s personality, talents and abilities to the full.

The best interests of the child must be a top priority in all things that affect children. Governments must respect the rights and responsibilities of parents and carers to direct and guide their child as they grow up, so that they enjoy their rights properly. Every child has the right to say what they think in all matters affecting them, and to have their views taken seriously.
Every child has the right to privacy. The law should protect the child’s private, family and home life. Every child has the right to relax, play and take part in a wide range of cultural and artistic activities.
I realize you have said a lot already but some additional detail would help. What is the situation of each parent and what exactly is the rationale for trying to enter the UK with just one parent? Also, how do you fit into the situation?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Default details/situation

I am the mother and still married to the child's dad event tho I live alone in UK. The father cannot afford to send the child to school and was evicted from his flat about a year ago. My husband wants my son and I to live in the UK and he will join us later when he can afford the trip. I left both father and son in Africa a few years ago but we have both decided that the child would be better off in the UK where he can be in a school without the payment of school fees.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Serious Reasons' why a child should reside with a lone parent in UK

If your child is a British citizen - and I believe in earlier posts that has been confirmed - why can't you just get him a British passport and he enters the UK?

He's living alone now in Africa so why do you need a particular reason for him to come and live with you in the UK if his father is willing for him to do so.

Am I missing something here?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:01 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It seems the only thing you need to make sure of is that you have acceptable documentation that the father gives permission for his child to leave the country - there are cases of children being "kidnapped" by one parent and taken to another country (e.g. following divorce or during custody disputes). You don't want airport officials or immigration officials preventing him from leaving the country because they suspect he is being taken from his father.

So, once he has his passport the rest should be straightforward.

Sorry I didn't realise you were the mother - I was thrown by the unusual way you referred to "the child" and "his mother", which implied the mother was someone other than yourself. When communicatng with officialdom you would do well to speak more directly ("me", "my child") to avoid confusion or even worse, suspicion.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Many children in Britain reside with a lone parent. If you live there surely you'd noticed that?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:30 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by kins
Many children in Britain reside with a lone parent. If you live there surely you'd noticed that?
Who/what are you responding to?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Default Dear SanDiego girl

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If your child is a British citizen - and I believe in earlier posts that has been confirmed - why can't you just get him a British passport and he enters the UK?

He's living alone now in Africa so why do you need a particular reason for him to come and live with you in the UK if his father is willing for him to do so.

Am I missing something here?
People are saying he needs a document to prove that he is a citizen apart from my own British Passport. He is with his dad in Africa but a child needshis mum so his dad wants the boy to join me in UK.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
It seems the only thing you need to make sure of is that you have acceptable documentation that the father gives permission for his child to leave the country - there are cases of children being "kidnapped" by one parent and taken to another country (e.g. following divorce or during custody disputes). You don't want airport officials or immigration officials preventing him from leaving the country because they suspect he is being taken from his father.

So, once he has his passport the rest should be straightforward.

Sorry I didn't realise you were the mother - I was thrown by the unusual way you referred to "the child" and "his mother", which implied the mother was someone other than yourself. When communicatng with officialdom you would do well to speak more directly ("me", "my child") to avoid confusion or even worse, suspicion.
Thanks for your kind advice, noted. Fortunately, his father would GLADLY write and show his consent. My dilemma was that I need to go to Nigeria to apply for my son's British Passport submitting my own passport the as one of the documents. Then how would I return to the UK without my passport? Someone has just told me to look at the possibility of getting A DUPLICATE PASSPORT for myself.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dear SanDiego girl

People are saying he needs a document to prove that he is a citizen apart from my own British Passport. He is with his dad in Africa but a child needshis mum so his dad wants the boy to join me in UK.
Who are these 'people'?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your kind advice, noted. Fortunately, his father would GLADLY write and show his consent. My dilemma was that I need to go to Nigeria to apply for my son's British Passport submitting my own passport the as one of the documents. Then how would I return to the UK without my passport? Someone has just told me to look at the possibility of getting A DUPLICATE PASSPORT for myself.
Why can't his father go to the passport office in Nigeria and get his son a passport? Has he tried to do this?

Do YOU have to be there? Has the father got the son's birth certificate, your marriage certificate for identity purposes? Could you not get a notarised copy of your passport and send it to your husband so he can get the passport?

If you are not in the country there must be other options.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Every child has the right to a standard of living that is good enough to meet their physical, social and mental needs. Every child has the right to an education. Primary education must be free. Secondary education must be available to every child. Education must develop every child’s personality, talents and abilities to the full.

What's your point with all this?

No government or authority is preventing you bringing your son to the UK. His father is OK with it you say and you've been told to get your son a passport.

Once you have this you will be all set.

From your earlier postings it appears you left Africa voluntarily without your son.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:51 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

follow the instructions

http://ukinsouthafrica.fco.gov.uk/en...-apply/nigeria
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Who/what are you responding to?
The OP.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mallory
Thank you so-o much Mallory.