Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Sending stuff back via regular mail

Sending stuff back via regular mail

Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:10 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending stuff back via regular mail

Eventually, I want to start sending stuff to my mum's in the UK so I don't have to get a container when I move or anything, and I had a question. I'd be gradually sending things like clothes I won't wear here and knick knacks through the US postal system, and I know that you have to fill out a customs form, but which category would it be under? It's not new stuff or a gift, so would I have to pay VAT (or whatever it is, hehehe)? I was thinking of sending my desktop computer over there, too, but not the monitor. I'd be too afraid of the monitor breaking and they're cheap enough over there. I'll have the dog with me, and while I'd like to take as much as I can on the plane without spending money on extra baggage, I'm going to struggle if I take too much. Anyone had experience with this?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending stuff back via regular mail

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Eventually, I want to start sending stuff to my mum's in the UK so I don't have to get a container when I move or anything, and I had a question. I'd be gradually sending things like clothes I won't wear here and knick knacks through the US postal system, and I know that you have to fill out a customs form, but which category would it be under? It's not new stuff or a gift, so would I have to pay VAT (or whatever it is, hehehe)? I was thinking of sending my desktop computer over there, too, but not the monitor. I'd be too afraid of the monitor breaking and they're cheap enough over there. I'll have the dog with me, and while I'd like to take as much as I can on the plane without spending money on extra baggage, I'm going to struggle if I take too much. Anyone had experience with this?
We have been talking about this, but as a returning resident I think you have to complete a C3 form from UK CUstoms to basically say that you are returning and these are the items you are bringing in, to make it all VAT Exempt, anyways we have decided to take a cheap airline but go upperclass that way we can take a whopping 160lb between the two of us, we are going take our clothes and 3 storage containers worth of stuff, anything else can stay with my MIL and we will do the same thing again, as I believe you can complete the form with goods to follow at a later date.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:03 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
We have been talking about this, but as a returning resident I think you have to complete a C3 form from UK CUstoms to basically say that you are returning and these are the items you are bringing in, to make it all VAT Exempt, anyways we have decided to take a cheap airline but go upperclass that way we can take a whopping 160lb between the two of us, we are going take our clothes and 3 storage containers worth of stuff, anything else can stay with my MIL and we will do the same thing again, as I believe you can complete the form with goods to follow at a later date.
Sorry to hyjack the thread and for being so nosey, but are you moving back BV21?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:26 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to avoid taking a lot of stuff with me on the day, so I was intending to start sending boxes over, one by one. I'm only 105 lb's so with my dog's carrier, hand luggage, and whatever I'm allowed baggage-wise, I'll be full up with no extra hands!

If I sent my stuff over via mail, what do I classify it as on the customs form?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:40 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

We sent all but our most valuable stuff by USPS. Though I don't recall the exact wording on the form if there is no category for 'personal items' then ticking 'other' and specifying 'personal items' or similar.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66
Sorry to hyjack the thread and for being so nosey, but are you moving back BV21?
Hi Raine,

Hows it going? (Hows that non smoking thing working out for you??) We are in fact returning to the UK hopefully next May need till then to save, Im not going to say its permanent as we might get there and be sick of it in a week but my homsickness has become intolerable! I have been miserably homesick for the best part of a year now, and I am desperate to go back, we had intended on returning after we came back from England and I begged Hubby on the plane not go take off and to offload our stuff!! But when we returned we lost my FIL and any plans of going back were left by the wayside. I had tried to put my homsickness aside. A couple of weeks back I was so miserable I threw a duvet day and hubby did the same, we sat and talked and I lost it, I ended up on the kitchen floor sobbing! I told hubby I wanted to go home so bad!! And it was then that we decided to go back to blighty for a bit. Hubby is all up for it and MIL seems to be coping quite well so we feel that we can go, besides I told hubby about the rivers running with beer and the houses made of curly wurlys and hes now well up for it!!

So yeah in answer to your question, were heading home
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:57 pm
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
We sent all but our most valuable stuff by USPS. Though I don't recall the exact wording on the form if there is no category for 'personal items' then ticking 'other' and specifying 'personal items' or similar.

Thanks, Flyergirl, this is helpful.