Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Sending money back to UK from Canada

Wikiposts

Sending money back to UK from Canada

Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold
Default Sending money back to UK from Canada

Hi all,

I am not planning on moving back to UK as most of the Canadian forum members will be devastated to see me go, but I do have a question about sending money back. I figured anyone thinking of moving back to UK would have looked into this, so hopefully the moderators won't mind this question appearing in this forum area.

I'm in Canada right now and need to pay family back for a loan. For bringing money out to Canada I've used HIFX and Money Corp (I think). But are there equivalent services for moving money from Canada to UK whilst getting a reasonable exchange rate. In other words, by NOT using a regular bank. My Credit Union has a massive gap between buying and selling sterling, and moving a sizeable amount back I would expect a far more competitive rate.

Are there companies such as HIFX and Money Corp who will accept a transfer form a Canadian bank and deposit money in a UK account, at reasonable exchange rates?

Thanks so much for any assistance or tips.

CC
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:58 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending money back to UK from Canada

I'd always assumed HiFx etc worked in both directions?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:41 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I'd always assumed HiFx etc worked in both directions?
It does. You just need to set up a new beneficiary account.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

We looked into this a while ago and yes, you can register with the UK based companies that you mentioned, and others, and just work the whole transaction in reverse.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Hi all,

I am not planning on moving back to UK as most of the Canadian forum members will be devastated to see me go, but I do have a question about sending money back. I figured anyone thinking of moving back to UK would have looked into this, so hopefully the moderators won't mind this question appearing in this forum area.

I'm in Canada right now and need to pay family back for a loan. For bringing money out to Canada I've used HIFX and Money Corp (I think). But are there equivalent services for moving money from Canada to UK whilst getting a reasonable exchange rate. In other words, by NOT using a regular bank. My Credit Union has a massive gap between buying and selling sterling, and moving a sizeable amount back I would expect a far more competitive rate.

Are there companies such as HIFX and Money Corp who will accept a transfer form a Canadian bank and deposit money in a UK account, at reasonable exchange rates?

CC
HiFX have a UK/Europe office. I am sure they can help you. You can call them for advice +44 01753 859 159.

http://www.hifx.co.uk/

Last edited by johnh009; Jan 20th 2011 at 1:16 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

CC
Ignore my last post. As far as HiFX goes, Canada is covered by a company called Currency Online, they are based in New Zealand are part of the HiFX group of companies. I used them a few years ago to transfer money from Canada to the UK and found them very efficient. They also have a free phone number you can call from Canada.

http://www.currencyonline.com/

Last edited by johnh009; Jan 20th 2011 at 3:59 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johnh009
Ignore my last post. As far as HiFX goes, Canada is covered by a company called Currency Online, they are based in New Zealand are part of the HiFX group of companies. I used them a few years ago to transfer money from Canada to the UK and found them very efficient. They also have a free phone number you can call from Canada.

http://www.currencyonline.com/
ah yes I found them by chance too. Thx
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:19 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

CC
Hi,

I've only just seen this thread. If you've got questions about HiFX they have a Vendors forum on BE where you can ask them questions if you need to. It's here