British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Sending money back - questions from UK Bank (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/sending-money-back-questions-uk-bank-514729/)

ck1 Feb 16th 2008 1:28 am

Sending money back - questions from UK Bank

I am in the process of selling up in Canada to move back to the UK...

I kept a UK bank account for the last few years(ie, had the account when I was living in UK) with my folks address.

I recently moved a load of money (sale of house etc) from Canada to my account in the UK....

The bank has now written me a letter saying to due to regulations for money laundering etc they want me to provide a certified copy of my passport and id etc....

Has anybody else experienced this? ie, after they have moved a load of money (couple of hundred thou) into UK bank accounts in preparation for moving back?

Jerseygirl Feb 16th 2008 3:19 am

Re: Sending money back - questions from UK Bank

Originally Posted by ck1 (Post 5939550)
I am in the process of selling up in Canada to move back to the UK...

I kept a UK bank account for the last few years(ie, had the account when I was living in UK) with my folks address.

I recently moved a load of money (sale of house etc) from Canada to my account in the UK....

The bank has now written me a letter saying to due to regulations for money laundering etc they want me to provide a certified copy of my passport and id etc....

Has anybody else experienced this? ie, after they have moved a load of money (couple of hundred thou) into UK bank accounts in preparation for moving back?

Yes...I am currently buying property in the UK and have to undergo the fraud investigations. First they wanted a photocopy of my PP, then they wanted a notarized copy, then they wanted a web site or a letterhead to prove the notaries ID. Then they asked for my original PP.

Old Lob Feb 16th 2008 9:02 am

Has anybody else experienced this? ie, after they have moved a load of money (couple of hundred thou) into UK bank accounts in preparation for moving back?[/QUOTE]

This has not happened because of transferring - all accounts are subject to proof of ID. If you'd done nothing and walked into the branch you might have been asked anyway - the big amount just means they have to do it.

I opened a new euro account in the uk last month and the lady told me three times (??) that I was special and did not need to prove my id for money laundering purposes - so I told her that I was opening the account to launder money!! I must have in the past done something like give them my social security number or something like that.

Jerseygirl Feb 18th 2008 12:56 pm

Your post prompted me to call my UK bank this morning to enquire if I'd have to go through the relevant fraud investigations because I am transferring money from the US into my UK bank account. They said I would because of the amount involved. This involves completing some sort of paperwork and providing ID...which is not a problem as I will be in the UK in a couple of days.