Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Sending container home before arrival

Sending container home before arrival

Old May 25th 2009, 8:58 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all
Default Sending container home before arrival

To all BE

Has anyone sent a container home where it arrives before you get home yourself?

What i mean by this is that my wife and children are already back in the UK, but i have to stay on in Oz to work out my year before i return to the UK myself.

I intend to send our belongings home for them to be stored at a relatives place. As i'm the one signing the customs forms at my end will UK customs clear my container knowing that i will still be in Oz but my wife will except delivery in the UK.

Any replies welcome.

DC
Old May 25th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending container home before arrival

You would have to be careful here, I THINK customs will need you to clear the goods in the UK, check - you might be able to give your wife power of attourney, or get her to do all the form filling/signing. Also, once the container arrives you need to move quickly or pay hairy storage costs, so having the wrong forms/signatures could cost.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:08 pm
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

The company i am using are taking the container door to door, but i will clear this up with them tomorrow as i'm sure this is not the first time this has happened.

DC
Old May 25th 2009, 2:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved, many years ago, Dh sent on the belongings and I was in UK. He was still in US when everything arrived in UK, no one batted an eyelid. I think he put both our names on the shipments If I remember right. Cause the delivery company called and dealt with me for the drop off of the contents, I even changed the location over the phone.
Old May 25th 2009, 7:51 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

About "hairy" storage fees. Anyone know what they are?

The estimate for our stuff to arrive is anything from 3 weeks to 8, but probably 6. We don't expect to be in the UK until 3 weeks after our stuff is packed, and then we need to find a place to rent.

Are we at their mercy, or can we specify that we don't want it for, say, six weeks? I know we're at their mercy the other way around. Our stuff took forever to get here from the UK way back when.

Bev
Old May 25th 2009, 9:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
About "hairy" storage fees. Anyone know what they are?

The estimate for our stuff to arrive is anything from 3 weeks to 8, but probably 6. We don't expect to be in the UK until 3 weeks after our stuff is packed, and then we need to find a place to rent.

Are we at their mercy, or can we specify that we don't want it for, say, six weeks? I know we're at their mercy the other way around. Our stuff took forever to get here from the UK way back when.

Bev
We got lucky and the place my Mom worked at had a large warehouse, they let us stack everything in the back. We came back one afternoon to find Mums friend had got out the forklift and put everything up high for safety, it was all still on pallets so it was fine.
Do you have friends with a big garage or something, a barn, anywhere?
Old May 26th 2009, 3:33 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We got lucky and the place my Mom worked at had a large warehouse, they let us stack everything in the back. We came back one afternoon to find Mums friend had got out the forklift and put everything up high for safety, it was all still on pallets so it was fine.
Do you have friends with a big garage or something, a barn, anywhere?
Not that I know of!

Thanks for the info.

Bev