Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Sending a child back to live

Wikiposts

Sending a child back to live

Old May 23rd 2009, 9:18 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending a child back to live

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Thanks again for all the responses.

We have told him, and the family back home, that he is staying put - end of!! We are going explore the route of private psych help, and see how that goes.
Cricket1 - thanks so much for your honest, helpful advice.
I have looked at aspbergers, and though some of it fits, the majority doesn't. Someone mentioned about it being something way, way far back that has had an effect on him - funnily enough all the behaviour problems started around the time his biological father decided that he didn't want to see him at all (he barely saw him before that, so didn't think it would make much difference) - maybe this is something that needs to be explored!
I know some of you think that the easy option is to send my son away, and that I am a bad person for doing so, but if i TRULY believed (which i don't) that was the best thing for him, no matter how much it hurt me, I would let him go back.

Kareena

Good for you Kareena, good luck with it all, I'm sure you have made the right decision
Old May 25th 2009, 5:27 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

We have told him, and the family back home, that he is staying put - end of!! We are going explore the route of private psych help, and see how that goes.
I have looked at aspbergers, and though some of it fits, the majority doesn't. Someone mentioned about it being something way, way far back that has had an effect on him - funnily enough all the behaviour problems started around the time his biological father decided that he didn't want to see him at all (he barely saw him before that, so didn't think it would make much difference) - maybe this is something that needs to be explored!
I know some of you think that the easy option is to send my son away, and that I am a bad person for doing so, but if i TRULY believed (which i don't) that was the best thing for him, no matter how much it hurt me, I would let him go back.

Kareena
Good luck Kareena, I'm sure it will all be fine. Don't become a slave to his needs though and don't let anyone let him think he's a victim or a problem. No one gets a problem unless they are told they have one are are one. We all grow up with issues no matter what. Just because someone 'nicked our teddy when we were 9' doesn't mean we can make excuses for our bad behaviour and get away with it. You sound like a good mum trying to do her best which in all honesty, is all you can do.
Old May 26th 2009, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

OrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by love30stm
hmmm well Ive been in New Zealand for nearly two years and my daughter still hates it here and constantly goes on about the UK, it makes me feel guilty too, she don't go to school she does a correspondence course so shes pretty much stuck indoors, not making any friends! and wont do anything about it. and before you all give me advice , shes not miserable, shes better than she was , we had a tough time with her for a long while, under the doctor and with the school.

so it don't work for everyone, I just one day she will wake up , grow up and get on with it!!
Sounds a lot like my daughter, who is 14, who does go to school, but has made not a single friend in Portugal in nearly 2 years. It does your head and your heart in doesn't it? And you have to work hard not to be on a permanent guilt-trip, because like Cricket says, teenagers are very good at pushing the buttons.
Personally I feel caught between a rock and a hard place, because she says that she is desperate to go back and live in the UK, and there are very good reasons for getting her back into the UK education system. But is she too young at 14? Or in a year's time? She doesn't think so - and maybe we would only know in hindsight. Meantime I have to reconcile myself to being blamed by someone or other for whatever course I choose (did I mention my husband, her step-father, is totally opposed to her opting out of the Portuguese school system or going back to the UK?)
I suppose the question is - does a 14/15 year old know what is best for her??
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Evee is an unknown quantity at this point

Kareena - I have read this whole thread and can understand how confused you are about your elder son. I really feel for you - I have family who have been through a similar situation and I can totally understand how you are feeling. However, have you thought that Matty, having been abandoned by his father, will feel doubly abandoned if you send him back to UK?

If his teacher/principal is not prepared to refer him to the School Psych, have you considered sourcing help for him privately. As I understand it, you are on a 457 visa and will have had to take out private health insurance, this should cover most of the cost.

Good Luck - Evee
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Kareena
Kareena, you've just hit the nail on the head I think with the issue with his biological father.

My stepson is the same age, and has massive abandonment issues with his mother - she basically (literally) dumped him when he was 5. He now has huge issues, and as he is now approaching puberty a lot of these issues are now causing him problems that don't manifest as obviously linked to the real problem. The onset of puberty does cause a lot of issues that have seemingly been buried to be raised and the cause is not necessarily immediately obvious.

Keep going down the referral to a psych, FWIW thats the route we're taking after some testing and evaluation between us and the school.

If you want to talk further please feel free to pm me - it sounds like we're facing a similar situation from what you've said. It's very easy to feel alone in these situations - you're not.