Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Selling US property whilst living in the UK.

Selling US property whilst living in the UK.

Old Dec 7th 2019, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling US property whilst living in the UK.

Anyone any experience of selling a property in the US ( Florida ) while being resident in the UK.? If it helps , my daughter is still resident in the US and has power of attorney to act on my behalf. She lives about 90 miles away from the property I'm looking to sell. Also we are still clients of a US based accountants. I know a lump sum from the proceeds of the sale will be held back for the IRS ( 30% ? ) The property is currently rented out with the lease expiring in April. Our management company said they could handle the sale, but I'm not sure if that is the best way to go. I'm thinking of an independent appraiser and a realtor..
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling US property whilst living in the UK.

Re the management of the sale, I only have experience of a realtor doing such a sale--preferable to mgmt company it seems to me, as they can market widely on multi-listing.

Re your being in UK, yes, someone in US with power of attorney does help.

You might also need to sign/validate some of the documents via the process called "apostille" which means a lawyer in UK sending them by courier to a special office in London (if I remember rightly) so that adds some complexity and expense...but maybe if your daughter has POA that isn't necessary...details hazy in memory.

Also, different states, different rules, as you'll know, and I don't know about Florida. Once you've decided re management company or realtor, then I'd contact their title/sale management department, whoever handles all the documents and payments and everything for the sale, to ask about how it works when seller lives overseas.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling US property whilst living in the UK.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.