British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Selling up, what is the best way to go about it from Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/selling-up-what-best-way-go-about-oz-695154/)

Beedubya Nov 29th 2010 9:01 am

Selling up, what is the best way to go about it from Oz?

OK need some advise here please, I am in Australia and am moving back to UK on February 26h on VERY limited funds so I need to scrape up as much moolah as I can.........

How did you sell up all your furniture and stuff? Craigslist and Gumtree don't seem to be that crash hot here in Australia and I have just been on eBay for a recce and somebody has some furniture worth $6000 up for sale and the bids are up to $200!!! :eek:

It would be wonderful if somebody was just emigrating to Australia and wanted to buy THE LOT, I would give them a very fair deal and throw in many extras just as I did in March this year when I came back here..........sigh.........no wonder I have no money.......

Any suggestions, thoughts, tips greatly appreciated especially from those of you who have done it the Aussie to UK way..........:thumbsup:

Beedubya Nov 29th 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Selling up, what is the best way to go about it from Oz?

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9009988)
OK need some advise here please, I am in Australia and am moving back to UK on February 26h on VERY limited funds so I need to scrape up as much moolah as I can.........

How did you sell up all your furniture and stuff? Craigslist and Gumtree don't seem to be that crash hot here in Australia and I have just been on eBay for a recce and somebody has some furniture worth $6000 up for sale and the bids are up to $200!!! :eek:

It would be wonderful if somebody was just emigrating to Australia and wanted to buy THE LOT, I would give them a very fair deal and throw in many extras just as I did in March this year when I came back here..........sigh.........no wonder I have no money.......

Any suggestions, thoughts, tips greatly appreciated especially from those of you who have done it the Aussie to UK way..........:thumbsup:

BTW I was wrong about that $6000.00 of furniture it sold for $92.00!!!!!!

Nicky & Dave Nov 29th 2010 8:28 pm

Haven't had to do it yet, but here's some ideas that you may not have considered.

When you advertise on Gumtree, put the advert in the rentals section as well so people looking at renting will see it.

How about trying the classified section of your local freebie newspaper (usually also includes an online ad too) or putting cards up on noticeboards in local shopping malls/community halls. Or making small posters and dropping them around the local real estate agents, asking them to display in their shop, or look at advertising in one of their newsletters.

Offer the whole lot for a fixed price and/or list the larger items individually. Should attract people who are renting or buying their first place and need stuff.

Good luck!
Nicky

Beedubya Nov 29th 2010 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave (Post 9011192)
Haven't had to do it yet, but here's some ideas that you may not have considered.

When you advertise on Gumtree, put the advert in the rentals section as well so people looking at renting will see it.

How about trying the classified section of your local freebie newspaper (usually also includes an online ad too) or putting cards up on noticeboards in local shopping malls/community halls. Or making small posters and dropping them around the local real estate agents, asking them to display in their shop, or look at advertising in one of their newsletters.

Offer the whole lot for a fixed price and/or list the larger items individually. Should attract people who are renting or buying their first place and need stuff.

Good luck!
Nicky

You know Nicky, it would be ideal for somebody just starting off, I have a friend whose daughter MIGHT be interested, that would be fab!! I did this when I left England earlier this year and even threw in the food out of the cupboards and the freezer!!!

I might see if I can also post this in the Aussie section for anybody getting here in Feb. next year, thats a thought.

Thanks for the tips. Are you going back to the UK or departing? Maybe in Feb. 2011....:p

Nicky & Dave Nov 29th 2010 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9011195)
You know Nicky, it would be ideal for somebody just starting off, I have a friend whose daughter MIGHT be interested, that would be fab!! I did this when I left England earlier this year and even threw in the food out of the cupboards and the freezer!!!

I might see if I can also post this in the Aussie section for anybody getting here in Feb. next year, thats a thought.

Thanks for the tips. Are you going back to the UK or departing? Maybe in Feb. 2011....:p

Sorry, going back to UK too! :D

moonsurfer Nov 29th 2010 8:50 pm

Is there a second hand furniture dealer nearby where you are? My father bit the bullet and rang one here - they gave him a price for the whole lot of furniture and took it away on the spot, all gone with no hassle of people coming round making an offer for bits and pieces. Unfortunately you'll get less cash than you would if advertising privately which is I guess a tradeoff for the convenience of having it all taken in one go.

Beedubya Nov 29th 2010 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by moonsurfer (Post 9011226)
Is there a second hand furniture dealer nearby where you are? My father bit the bullet and rang one here - they gave him a price for the whole lot of furniture and took it away on the spot, all gone with no hassle of people coming round making an offer for bits and pieces. Unfortunately you'll get less cash than you would if advertising privately which is I guess a tradeoff for the convenience of having it all taken in one go.

Yeah I have thought of that Moon, and you are right it would be far less hassle, I now have a friends daughter interested in some things but she has 2 little kids and another on the way and I just know she is going to be wanting it for next to nothing but I just cant do that........OR I will be like poor old Cinders :huh:

I cannot believe that sale on eBay $92 for $6000 worth, surely a furniture dealer couldn't be that bad? My stuff though not top of the range is all pretty decent from Oz Furniture, Freedom and Domayne.........mmmmmm...thinking thinking.......

When are you going back Nicky and how are you selling up? What about you Moonsurfer, will you do like your dad?

moonsurfer Nov 29th 2010 10:21 pm

I wouldn't sell on ebay for precisely that reason - $92 for $6000 worth of furniture! I think I would rather give it away than be beaten down to the lowest possible price. The furniture dealer definitely didn't pay what Dad's things were worth but it was not so bad a deal either.

So yes, I'll be doing the same, just to avoid the hassle factor, and figure it won't cost me much to furnish somewhere in the UK anyway, so it'll probably balance out - am inspired by what I've read on here about the good quality furniture in charity shops/markets etc in the UK :)

ble Nov 29th 2010 10:46 pm

How about a local auction house?

I used to go to one all the time in the UK and got lots of lovely pieces for the house. But this particular auction house had a general (with standard household goods - ie whiteware and sofas etc), and then what they called an antiques.
I went to both on occasion and the dealers / 2nd hand furniture people where at both.

Just don't know if that sort of thing happens in Aust though. But worth a wee look in the phone book and then a trip out to see what you think maybe.

Nicky & Dave Nov 29th 2010 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9011267)
When are you going back Nicky and how are you selling up? What about you Moonsurfer, will you do like your dad?

I'm heading back mid Sep next year but my partner is staying. At this stage, he is talking about staying in our house and buying me out, but who knows how this will play out. All very civilised at the moment but once we involve solicitors and start sorting out the financials, it's bound to get more fraught.

Along with the kids, I have a few treasured possessions that I will take home, plus my cat, but I'm quite excited at the thought of a fresh start in the UK. Dave can keep everything else.