Reload this Page >

selling UK property after returning to UK

selling UK property after returning to UK

Old Jan 14th 2018, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

pledda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default selling UK property after returning to UK

Hello All,

I have a property in UK which I rented out while I was living in Canada for 4 years. A few months ago I returned to the UK and living back in my UK property again. I am now considering selling the property to move to a bigger house. Would I have to pay CGT for the period I was living in Canada? Does it make a difference the fact that I have returned to UK and currently living in the property?

Many Thanks,
Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selling UK property after returning to UK

Originally Posted by pledda
Hello All,

I have a property in UK which I rented out while I was living in Canada for 4 years. A few months ago I returned to the UK and living back in my UK property again. I am now considering selling the property to move to a bigger house. Would I have to pay CGT for the period I was living in Canada? Does it make a difference the fact that I have returned to UK and currently living in the property?

Many Thanks,
The amount of CGT you'll be liable for depends on whether there's a chargeable gain after selling the property, how much PRR (Private Residence Relief) you can claim, and if you're eligible for any Letting Relief. This may assist
https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home/let-out-part-of-home

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 14th 2018 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selling UK property after returning to UK

Be careful when considering the tax implications of moving from being tax resident in one jurisdiction to another, both of which tax you on your world income (including capital gains on residential property). It may not be just HMRC that you have to consider paying some tax to even though you may not have actually sold anything when tax resident elsewhere.

As always, professional tax planning advice is usually in order, particularly when selling UK property just before or just after returning to the UK, even if returning from a non-taxed domicile/jurisdiction. Professionals can often save significant (capital gains) tax, way beyond their fees, quite aside from doing the tax calculation(s) correctly, so it can be money well spent.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 17th 2018 at 9:57 am. Reason: quite aside from doing the tax calculation(s) correctly,