Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Selling stuff in UK....local options..??

Selling stuff in UK....local options..??

Old May 29th 2012, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

davenay67 will become famous soon enough
Default Selling stuff in UK....local options..??

We all know about ebay, but what local selling options are available in the UK..??

We have craigslist here in the US....any recommendations for sites like that in the UK..??
Old May 29th 2012, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all
Default Re: Selling stuff in UK....local options..??

Originally Posted by davenay67
We all know about ebay, but what local selling options are available in the UK..??

We have craigslist here in the US....any recommendations for sites like that in the UK..??
Gumtree - we are moving back to the UK in June and looking to pick up a few wardrobes and a futon to tide us over until our stuff arrives by boat........haven't bought anything yet but there is much more on there compared to eBay (in my opinion)
Old May 29th 2012, 8:36 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for gumtree. Any details on what you are selling - is it general stuff or more specialized - there might be specific sites for certain things.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
+1 for gumtree. Any details on what you are selling - is it general stuff or more specialized - there might be specific sites for certain things.
It could be a mixture of things to be honest, pretty much anything and everything in a normal household. i.e. lawnmower, PC, motorcycle, furniture, toys, etc.

Some of the smaller stuff would ebay quite well, but some of the larger stuff would only really work for a local buyer.

I will check out gumtree....

Thanks..!!

Dave.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, gumtree is probably the best known all rounder...
Old May 29th 2012, 9:01 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

If the bike is nice try pistonheads.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bootfair
Old May 30th 2012, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Freecycle, boot sales, garage sales. It's amazing what crap even your friends will buy!
Old May 30th 2012, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Alot of towns in the UK now have Facebook- Buy, Sell, Swap pages. Like we have an Inverness- Buy, Sell, Swap page on Facebook. Great for selling items locally where you can specify pick up/ drop off so that you are not paying for postage on items.
Old May 30th 2012, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions folks..!!

I left the UK in early '97, never used the internet over there before I left. It was this weird and cool new thing when I landed fresh-faced in CA. Since then it has become huge, and I know nothing about it's footprint in the UK....
Old May 30th 2012, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by davenay67
Thanks for all the suggestions folks..!!

I left the UK in early '97, never used the internet over there before I left. It was this weird and cool new thing when I landed fresh-faced in CA. Since then it has become huge, and I know nothing about it's footprint in the UK....
You're not selling stuff in Tunbridge Wells/Kent are you? Thought I'd ask - we need some wardrobes.................
Old May 30th 2012, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NSBlake
You're not selling stuff in Tunbridge Wells/Kent are you? Thought I'd ask - we need some wardrobes.................
No, Blackpool.

I need to sell my motorcycle primarily. As much as I'd love to import it, the cost and DMV hassle probably aren't worth it. Probably end up giving it away....
Old May 30th 2012, 2:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
Alot of towns in the UK now have Facebook- Buy, Sell, Swap pages. Like we have an Inverness- Buy, Sell, Swap page on Facebook. Great for selling items locally where you can specify pick up/ drop off so that you are not paying for postage on items.
I second this, where we'll be there are two of these and they move really fast.