Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Selling houses aussie style!

Selling houses aussie style!

Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling houses aussie style!

Well it has happened folks my house is on the market and so far in 2 weeks I havent had a single viewer. I am changing my agent today(monday) well adding to my exisiting agent really and lets see if things pick up at all. I have put an ad on here (its in Tallebudgera on acreage listed by peanut21 my alter ego)and registered it on all the freebie websites you can pop your house on over here in Aus. If we dont get any viewers this week hubby wants to rent. I dont know how I feel about that really especially as we have just completely renovated it and it looks amasing just for the bloody renters to trash it.

Anyway any advice?

You see the problem we have is we sold our business in May and are now living off our saving over here but what can we do? We just hope in August the interest rates dont go up and people start buying again. Or it could get like the Uk where people cant borrow anymore. AHHH what to do any advice. Thanks peeps
Nicola
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Selling houses aussie style!

Originally Posted by nicola411
Well it has happened folks my house is on the market and so far in 2 weeks I havent had a single viewer. I am changing my agent today(monday) well adding to my exisiting agent really and lets see if things pick up at all. I have put an ad on here (its in Tallebudgera on acreage listed by peanut21 my alter ego)and registered it on all the freebie websites you can pop your house on over here in Aus. If we dont get any viewers this week hubby wants to rent. I dont know how I feel about that really especially as we have just completely renovated it and it looks amasing just for the bloody renters to trash it.

Anyway any advice?

You see the problem we have is we sold our business in May and are now living off our saving over here but what can we do? We just hope in August the interest rates dont go up and people start buying again. Or it could get like the Uk where people cant borrow anymore. AHHH what to do any advice. Thanks peeps
Nicola
Do you watch that programme called 'Selling houses in OZ'?

It is really useful, but the last show i watched was a joke..two guys couldn't sell their home, been up for 6 months etc...well with a camera crew in, you'd think they would clean their toilets both toilets were pebble dashed with stinking POO!!!! urghhhh.
Now if you want to sell your house, first thing you do is make sure the loo is clean for when people look round it

It was gross!!!

Good luck anyway, i am putting mine back up for sale in next two weeks, just decorating at the mo.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:49 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how bad the situation is, but even if there's little action, you want your house to be the one people fall in love with.

"Staging" really worked for us. Make it look like some person's dream home, a "lifestyle" thing. Loads of space (getting rid of things or putting them in storage.) Expensive cappuchino maker in the kitchen. (That was real. We like our coffee. But it was the only appliance we were allowed to leave on view!) Wine rack in the dining room. New bedcovers if necessary. Scatter cushions. Plants. A good stager can tell you the latest wants in these things. The one we had kept saying, "It's not about what you like. It's about someone else's dream home."

Made us gag, but our agent recommended it, so we did it and it sold really fast.

Also, these days most people do their house hunting on the internet to begin with, so make sure the agent has really, really good pictures up, including those lifestyle things if applicable. A pic of the lovely garden, street, pool whatever. Of a nearby park or view. A link to the local whatever-might-attract-the-buyer -- mall, marina, coast, airport even.

You want the buyers to come in already wanting it and the life it promises.

FWIW,

Bev
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nicola it is a gorgeous home and anyone with half a brain would fall in love with it - hopefully the market will pick up in your area. I've said it before but no harm in saying it again - some folk on one of the stitching boards I frequent have had luck with burying a statue of St Joseph in the front garden. May be a bit of superstition but, hey, when you are desperate try anything huh (and include the cappuccino maker and wine rack for good measure!)

I dread the thought of selling our place - it will never be vogue style and if we were to sell it, the buyer would only buy it for the land and then bulldoze it because it is prime real estate. As we renovate though we are going quite minimalist and I must say that I really like the look!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:33 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Nicola it is a gorgeous home and anyone with half a brain would fall in love with it - hopefully the market will pick up in your area. I've said it before but no harm in saying it again - some folk on one of the stitching boards I frequent have had luck with burying a statue of St Joseph in the front garden.
Apparently you have to bury him upside down! And remember to dig him up before you leave and put him somewhere nice.

I do know people it seems to have worked for. Weird,

Bev
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

We had a woman come round and tell us how to stage the house...all she could come up with was to remove a telephone plug, hide our Brabantia bin and powerwash the front steps. She said the house was perfect and couldn't understand why people weren't viewing. The thing is, you can stage as much as you like, but if people aren't even coming to the door they cant fall in love with the inside. We've gone to our last resort now, auction, after that its rental. Its becoming a huge albatross round our necks. If one more person tells me its a beautiful house and they cant understand why it hasn't sold or had viewers, I think I'll slap them. I have to say that Raine and Horne in Coolangatta have been amazing. The boss has taken over and has been paying for extra advertising himself because he knows its really desperate for us to sell.

Jo

Originally Posted by Bevm
Depends how bad the situation is, but even if there's little action, you want your house to be the one people fall in love with.

"Staging" really worked for us. Make it look like some person's dream home, a "lifestyle" thing. Loads of space (getting rid of things or putting them in storage.) Expensive cappuchino maker in the kitchen. (That was real. We like our coffee. But it was the only appliance we were allowed to leave on view!) Wine rack in the dining room. New bedcovers if necessary. Scatter cushions. Plants. A good stager can tell you the latest wants in these things. The one we had kept saying, "It's not about what you like. It's about someone else's dream home."

Made us gag, but our agent recommended it, so we did it and it sold really fast.

Also, these days most people do their house hunting on the internet to begin with, so make sure the agent has really, really good pictures up, including those lifestyle things if applicable. A pic of the lovely garden, street, pool whatever. Of a nearby park or view. A link to the local whatever-might-attract-the-buyer -- mall, marina, coast, airport even.

You want the buyers to come in already wanting it and the life it promises.

FWIW,

Bev
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice

HI Jo

I am gutted for you and have sent you a pm. To everyone else who replied thanks but I am in Jo's position nobody is lookingon the GC. Yesterday the only viewer we have had since coming on the market said it was nice but for the price she could get so much more in Tallai. Duh of course you can its another 20mins to the beach etc.

Anyway all I am hoping is that someone buys before we have to rent it. Its on classifieds here on expats under Tallebudgera on the Gold Coast. If anyone spots something in any of the pictures that is aussifensive please let me know

To make matters worse I have fallen in love with a property back in Dore in Sheffield and we cant afford it without the house here selling.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies.

So it doesnt look like anyone sold this weekend gone then. Maybe this weekend everyone will sell

Is that me just being overly optimistic

Seriously I so want to get to out of here. What can we do though. Bloody worldwide recession