Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Self Employment Clarification - EEU Freedom of Movement Route

Wikiposts

Self Employment Clarification - EEU Freedom of Movement Route

Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice
Default Self Employment Clarification - EEU Freedom of Movement Route

I am hoping that someone with some financial knowledge will be able to clarify something for me.

We arrived in Ireland on 29th June to exercise our freedom of movement rights (Surinder Sing route). We are going the self employed route. Our original plan was to stay 6 months in Ireland which would allow us more than enough time to prove activity in the company. After hearing that some couples have successfully exercised their treaty rights in 13 weeks (3 months), we are now thinking that we would like to do the same as it would be more beneficial for the kids to be in Scotland this year for schooling.

Here's our predicament which I would appreciate help with:

- We started working as a business on 1st July (not officially documented except working internally to prepare).
- 15th July, deposited funds into personal account to cover costs of business (cannot open business account yet)
- 16th July, had internet installed (internet based business)
- 17th July, purchased office equipment
- 17th July, registered PPSN application at Welfare Office (appointment only on 14th August to get PPSN)
- 24th July, registered company domain in Ireland
- 24th July, registered company .com domain
- 26th July, deposited funds into personal account to cover costs of business (still cannot open business account)
- 31st July, completed accounts on an excel spread-sheet but only shows as expenditure, no income as yet except a "personal loan to company" .

As we don't have a PPSN, we are unable to register for tax or open a company account. We will do this as soon as a PPSN is issued, hopefully next week.

We do have a client but they are holding payment until we have a company account. It's not a huge amount of money but it will be something.

For the purposes of proof, would the payment lodgements from own resources and purchases made on a personal basis for the business count as start up capital and would the UKBA accept that we started the business on 1st July i.e. self employment activity?

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks so much.