the seed is sown......

Old May 24th 2004, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the seed is sown......

Hiya

made the fatal mistake of reading all these threads!!
i have been here since september and first couple of months were ok cos we were busy buying house and furniture etc but no things have setteld down a bit i feel slightly jaded!! and by reading this lot it hasnt helped !! i ma you could say failrly confused.

i like it here and i love the weather, living near the sea etcbut there is lot of things i miss about uk ie my kids never went to daycare there but they have to here and i dont like that really, there is not a lot to do in the evenigns - my husband goes to bed dead early cos he leaves for work at 6am and i am left watching crap tv all night on my own - i miss not nipping round to my mates house or going into town for a girlie night out, or nipping to asda at night when bored to check out clothes etc!! also its pretty frightening knowing i cant just look on teletext and book a last min cheepie to spain etc - i express my feelings to my mates in uk and they say your not missing owt - dont do it!!! what made you decide and those that have done it how many have regretted it - people say wait 2 years til you get your citizenship but you dont auto get it after 2 years - i have been told it can take up to 12 months to get it!!
Old May 24th 2004, 8:48 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the seed is sown......

Originally posted by thewoods
Hiya

made the fatal mistake of reading all these threads!!
i have been here since september and first couple of months were ok cos we were busy buying house and furniture etc but no things have setteld down a bit i feel slightly jaded!! and by reading this lot it hasnt helped !! i ma you could say failrly confused.

i like it here and i love the weather, living near the sea etcbut there is lot of things i miss about uk ie my kids never went to daycare there but they have to here and i dont like that really, there is not a lot to do in the evenigns - my husband goes to bed dead early cos he leaves for work at 6am and i am left watching crap tv all night on my own - i miss not nipping round to my mates house or going into town for a girlie night out, or nipping to asda at night when bored to check out clothes etc!! also its pretty frightening knowing i cant just look on teletext and book a last min cheepie to spain etc - i express my feelings to my mates in uk and they say your not missing owt - dont do it!!! what made you decide and those that have done it how many have regretted it - people say wait 2 years til you get your citizenship but you dont auto get it after 2 years - i have been told it can take up to 12 months to get it!!

Hiya

Mhhhh I think the first year for me was all very exciting, the 2nd year was the worse but that was due to huge family fallouts with my in-laws etc so all this made us decide to head home to UK. My hubby is an Aussie and for us we came her thinking this would be our life now.....no give it 2 years or whatever we just came and got on with it.

We do have a 21/2 year old who does not know her family in the UK and we are trying for another bubs so personally for us we are heading back for family support, more travel,etc... my hubby loved working in London ( saddo!!).

I do like it here for many reasons but all in all I know inside I was happier back home and it does not matter what size house you have or pool etc for me happiness inside counts not what possesions you have.!!

There are many down sides to being out here also that we did not even consider before we came and like I said my hubby is an Aussie so it's things even he didn't account for !!

It really is early for you and many people will say go home and many will stay give it more time.....you just have to work out what is best for all of you and perhaps ask why you came here in the first place. I never came to get away from the UK. I know many people dislike what is happening in the UK but crap happens here too as we all know!

I hope you find some comfort and support in this Forum..we may be regarded as negative because we decide to speak up about how life is here for "us" but many do find it helpful and use the information in a positive way ....whatever your decide I hope you find peace and happiness!

For me I can't wait to get home......it would have been 21/2 years since I have seen my family and for them to kiss/hug my daughter !!!

Be Happy

Old May 24th 2004, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
I am in California US, but I just wanted to say something that may help.

I spent a lot of time comparing UK to USA and I stayed homesick and negative...... Once I stopped comparing and looked at what was here right now I began to see a lot of things I liked... I grew more comfortable with life here in USA.....

Each country has it's own thing going on... Took time for me to start settling...
I will say that my heart belongs to the UK but I had made a decision to make the US my permanant home and have been enjoying life...

So now we have to go back to UK as visa extension denied... Hey ho....

Life is an adventure to be enjoyed... So going to have a bloody good time...

Hope you do too...
Perhaps have a mooch round and see what you CAN do that you like, it will take a while to get there... But worth trying.

As far as other peoples threads... they are their experiences good and bad..... doesn't mean you will have anything the same...

Best wishes to you.

Old May 24th 2004, 9:21 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Yep agree try not to compare it's perhaps the worst thing to do...

go enjoy and just be happy this is your life ok...!!!
Old May 24th 2004, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Cheer up Linda, I felt really sad when you said your daughter had gone back to the Uk now, thats probably very hard to take on top of the other things your not happy with. Dont know what to say that would help cheer you up, but there are lots of mums who's kids ended up going back to the UK, its probably far more common that you might think, lots of reasons I wont babble on but thinking of you anyway.
Old May 24th 2004, 11:08 am

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there,
Keep your chin up, it goes get easier. We have been living on the Gold Coast for almost a year now. The first few months after you arrive is abit like being on holiday. But when you have visited all the tourists sights, reality hits home. You are bound to miss friends and family. Wot I would do for a decent sausage sandwich and ready cooked meals from Marks and Sparks, but you quickly find alternatives. The forum is a fantastic place. I used to think that people who went on these sort of web sites were sad old gits, but now I can`t wait to do all my housework, and get on it. We are all in the same boat, and everyone tries to be of support to each other. We all know where you are coming from. Our 14 year old son has threatned to go home so many times, Ive lost track. It is a huge and very stressful thing we have all undertaken, but it will get easier. You will meet new friends. No one can ever replace loved ones at home, but friends make an awful lot of difference. Take care, any problems call on the forum, regards Louisa
Old May 24th 2004, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by thewoods
i express my feelings to my mates in uk and they say your not missing owt - dont do it!!! what made you decide and those that have done it how many have regretted it - people say wait 2 years til you get your citizenship but you dont auto get it after 2 years - i have been told it can take up to 12 months to get it!!
Hi the woods, I understand your sentiments cos I went throughmany of them myself. It's hard once you have lived in two countries and people trying to give you advice who havent lived in two countries really dont understand. You've now seen the best and worst of what both the UK and Oz can offer. So what you really want is the best bits of the UK and the best bits of Oz all in one place!

PAnts is right that some people give us a hard time cos we think the UK is great...but most of them have never lived in 2 countries so have no grip on what it's really like. Sound advice from HM about not comparing the two - just try and get into things over there. If you've really believe that Oz isnt for you, then there's no shame in coming home.

I came back to have a baby (after 18 months in Melbourne). If I hadnt fell pregnant I wouldnt have come back so soon....but I probably wouldnt have stayed longer than 3 or 4 years either (mayber less). Been back 6 months...no regrets at all. Miss things about Oz - including my sister - but very happy in UK. Oh yes, and getting excited about holiday in france.

Good luck
Old May 24th 2004, 11:29 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Our uncle is sponsoring us to go to Australia. We talked to him yesterday about our plans so far and what he has to do his end etc and out of everything he could have asked us or info he could've given us the one thing that was his priority was warning us about homesickness. He said that it hits you hard and you have to treat it like a proper illness. It may last for some time but if you can get through it you'll settle down and everything will fall into place.

He was an original £10 pom and knows of many who have gone out there, missed home, returned back to the UK and then went back to Australia because what they thought they missed (apart from friends and relatives), wasn't as important to them as they'd thought and missed their life in Australia.

I know for me it will be a battle because until you are actually over there us here have no idea exactly how bad it can be. But, I have to give it my best shot. Don't know how it will end up but I know if I can beat the homesickness we'll be laughing.

This forum has positive and negatives posts, it's down to you to work it out, in your way, not by the comments of others. I must admit when I first read some of the posts on the 'returning to UK' forum I seriously had doubts as to if we were doing the right thing but I balanced the good with the bad and then made my own mind up.

I feel for you because you must be really unhappy at the moment, but hang in there and I'm sure you and your family will have a wonderful life.

D D
Old May 24th 2004, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

eilthireach is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by honeymommy

[snipped]

I will say that my heart belongs to the UK but I had made a decision to make the US my permanant home and have been enjoying life...

[snipped]

I've been following your postings with, as someone else commented, astonishment and admiration - your fortitude and your wonderful sense of humour that has clearly kept you sane - and have been hoping (clearly against hope) that it would all have a fairytale ending for you - INS would call you in at the last minute and say, hi, we were just joking, you can stay - but you now you do have to go back. What's great about it is your attitude. This is just another part of the adventure (as I keep telling myself ) and I'm sure you will enjoy it just as much.
Best wishes to you and your family ...
Old May 24th 2004, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Well said honeymommy. This is a far more realistic and sensible post than much of the loaded biased repetative twaddle that appears on this forum.

Originally posted by honeymommy
Hi.
I am in California US, but I just wanted to say something that may help.

I spent a lot of time comparing UK to USA and I stayed homesick and negative...... Once I stopped comparing and looked at what was here right now I began to see a lot of things I liked... I grew more comfortable with life here in USA.....

Each country has it's own thing going on... Took time for me to start settling...

Hope you do too...
Perhaps have a mooch round and see what you CAN do that you like, it will take a while to get there... But worth trying.

As far as other peoples threads... they are their experiences good and bad..... doesn't mean you will have anything the same...

Best wishes to you.

Old May 25th 2004, 3:18 am
Live the moment

No contribution....!!!!
Old May 25th 2004, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ahappychappy
Well said honeymommy. This is a far more realistic and sensible post than much of the loaded biased repetative twaddle that appears on this forum.
you are a glutton for punishment aren't you.....subjecting yourself to the same boring, irrelevant drivel time and time again. ..... Anyone would think you only came on here to criticise those moving back to the UK!
Old May 25th 2004, 10:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
you are a glutton for punishment aren't you.....subjecting yourself to the same boring, irrelevant drivel time and time again. ..... Anyone would think you only came on here to criticise those moving back to the UK!
Perhaps Ahappychappy is not such a happy chappy as he would like us to think.
Hence his fascination with this forum.

Cheer up happychappy be happy

G
Old May 25th 2004, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Grayling
Cheer up happychappy be happy

G
Old May 25th 2004, 10:57 am
Live the moment

Amazing post don't you think..what an excellent contribution as usual !!LOl....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.