Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

securing uk rental - tips on how best to attack this!

securing uk rental - tips on how best to attack this!

Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:27 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: securing uk rental - tips on how best to attack this!

ooo don't forget www.rightmove.co.uk

Carmel
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:29 pm

nice http://www.rightmove.co.uk/action/pu...PropertySearch

C
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:00 pm
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carmele

thanks, which propertys that, it wont let me look!

thanksxx
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandtooz
Hiya all im having a stress out about finding a rental!!

We dont arrive back in england until the 31st, the schools break up on the 20th, so idealy want it sorted by then so we can apply for the kids schools in time, i know we have a few weeks to get it sorted but its like waiting for a bus in all honesty!!

I have emailed ALL the local estate agents and its like pulling teeth!! they dont reply and we end up ringing, our phone bill is going to be huggeeee!!!

reason for the thread, are there any tips anyone can give?

whats the best attack?!!

We have been dangling " we will pay 6months upfront" hoping this will work.........

come on whats the best way forward?

Tell you what I did,

I rang the agent up and told her our situation.....told her how amazing it would be if she would consider us for the house.....made her feel really sorry for us.....then thanked her over and over again and then made her feel really good about herself for doing us a huge favour.

Hey it worked although we have to put up a huge deposit because they can not do a credit check which means we can not take our stuff back now as the budget is that tight. We will beg steel and borrow when we get back, but at least we will be back with a roof over our heads.

LibbyX
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:44 am

Good idea libby!

Mandtooz the property was £2,250 per month, for me it was a bit of a dream, For you it may be ok?

You can look up and see many pictures of rentals on rightmove, it's excellent isn't it just poppin the areas you want to be in and voila!

Bloody good luck, it will all come out in the wash as they say!

C
x
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

We dont arrive back in england until the 31st, the schools break up on the 20th, so idealy want it sorted by then so we can apply for the kids schools in time, i know we have a few weeks to get it sorted but its like waiting for a bus in all honesty!!

I have emailed ALL the local estate agents and its like pulling teeth!! they dont reply and we end up ringing, our phone bill is going to be huggeeee!!!

whats the best attack?!!

We have been dangling " we will pay 6months upfront" hoping this will work.........

Hi,

I found one I liked the look of on rightmove whilst in Oz then got my brother and wife to go and have a look. I had already emailed the agent and told them our situation so after they looked and it was ok, I rang her and discussed dates etc. We corresponded then by email (questions I had etc.) and then she emailed me the contracts which I printed off and signed and then scanned them in and emailed back to her. I transferred 3 mths rent to the agent as we had no references and Bob's Your Uncle! Got back on the Sunday, stayed at my brother's on the Sunday night and moved into the rental on the Monday morning. No problem! If you know someone in the area that will help you and you have some money to pay in advance I'm sure you could do the same as me. The only dilemma might be the dog, not sure how many rentals let you have pets.

Hope this helps

Jo
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:36 am

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

whats the best attack?!!

I had this problem last year, it is so difficult when you're not there. We found one house that we liked the look of. Enquired e-mail back and forth etc they said they wanted 6 months in advanced. I rang the back after the weekend and after I'd added up the sums and they had let it to someone that had walked in.

In the end I was lucky enough to find a place they done some credit checks (my OH friend gave him a reference and said that he was going to be employing him). Drove over, when we got here we went and paid the deposit and picked up the keys (also we paid a holding deposit by credit card over the phone first).

try rightmove that's where I found all the rentals.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:37 am

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi,

I found one I liked the look of on rightmove whilst in Oz then got my brother and wife to go and have a look. I had already emailed the agent and told them our situation so after they looked and it was ok, I rang her and discussed dates etc. We corresponded then by email (questions I had etc.) and then she emailed me the contracts which I printed off and signed and then scanned them in and emailed back to her. I transferred 3 mths rent to the agent as we had no references and Bob's Your Uncle! Got back on the Sunday, stayed at my brother's on the Sunday night and moved into the rental on the Monday morning. No problem! If you know someone in the area that will help you and you have some money to pay in advance I'm sure you could do the same as me. The only dilemma might be the dog, not sure how many rentals let you have pets.

Hope this helps

Jo
ooops I just recomended the same company, I should read entire thread before posting

We had two dogs, a lot of landlords don't want pets but you will find one that doesn't mind.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:13 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

thanks guys for all the words of encouragment, still no news and im trying so hard not to get down about it, afterall theres not much i can do here!

its very frustrating! but we have until the 18th july to find something, trouble is its all gone by the time we phone???? but we are searching daily!

will keep u postedxx
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

I have been looking at rightmove.com. I found a house, was able to call had my parents take a look at it. Got some great info from her. She basically told me they have delt with loads of people in our situation. As long as we can come up with the deposite and maybe 3 to six months rent we shouldn't have too many issues. It is expecting quite a lot but we can just say manage. It's a nice resonable house in a nice area. However not a lot I can do about keeping it whilst I am stateside but she has taken all of our details and was intouch with my family over the weekend. I hleped my mam fill out some forms over the phone. Fingers crossed we will only be staying with family for a short time.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:43 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys for all the words of encouragment, still no news and im trying so hard not to get down about it, afterall theres not much i can do here!

its very frustrating! but we have until the 18th july to find something, trouble is its all gone by the time we phone???? but we are searching daily!

will keep u postedxx
Mandy that's a whole month away so don't get into panic mode just yet. Something will turn up out of the blue. Have you anyone who could scour the local papers in your area or do they have them online at all? Or maybe telephone the local rag to explain your situ and ask if they could possibly give you details by phone. I was only thinking that many private landlords advertise that way so you would cut out the agents. We found that many agents just don't want to help when you are here let alone when you are on the other side of the world.

Good luck - I know you feel like tearing your hair out sometimes but usually things have a habit of falling into place when you least expect it
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Brenda in Cyprus is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: securing uk rental - tips on how best to attack this!

We are returning to the UK from Cyprus in a couple of months & are having the same problem renting while we look for something to buy. We have an added problem tho' in the shape of Ben a beautiful little dog that we found wandering two years ago aged about six weeks. There is no way we could leave him here on this animal-hating island but it is causing us probs as far as renting is concerned so if there is anyone in the West Sussex area who knows of anywhere we can rent for a couple of months I would be eternally grateful
Brenda
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

CarolA is an unknown quantity at this point

We are also in this situation returning from the states. Agents in Suffolk/Cambridgeshire are non too keen on 'foreign' renters. Will keep perservering though and take a look at some of the above links.