Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

securing uk rental - tips on how best to attack this!

securing uk rental - tips on how best to attack this!

Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:43 pm
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold
Default securing uk rental - tips on how best to attack this!

Hiya all im having a stress out about finding a rental!!

We dont arrive back in england until the 31st, the schools break up on the 20th, so idealy want it sorted by then so we can apply for the kids schools in time, i know we have a few weeks to get it sorted but its like waiting for a bus in all honesty!!

I have emailed ALL the local estate agents and its like pulling teeth!! they dont reply and we end up ringing, our phone bill is going to be huggeeee!!!

reason for the thread, are there any tips anyone can give?

whats the best attack?!!

We have been dangling " we will pay 6months upfront" hoping this will work.........

come on whats the best way forward?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:59 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: securing uk rental - tips on how best to attack this!

Originally Posted by mandtooz

We dont arrive back in england until the 31st, the schools break up on the 20th, so idealy want it sorted by then so we can apply for the kids schools in time, i know we have a few weeks to get it sorted but its like waiting for a bus in all honesty!!

I have emailed ALL the local estate agents and its like pulling teeth!! they dont reply and we end up ringing, our phone bill is going to be huggeeee!!!

whats the best attack?!!

We have been dangling " we will pay 6months upfront" hoping this will work.........

What area you looking for ?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:08 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

whats the best attack?!!

The best way to tackle it is....(unfortunately).... being there in the UK.

They won't reply otherwise.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:10 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
The best way to tackle it is....(unfortunately).... being there in the UK.

They won't reply otherwise.
Well if he tells me where hes coming to ? i will see what i can do for him i am still in UK ..
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:52 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Well if he tells me where hes coming to ? i will see what i can do for him i am still in UK ..

we are heading to south shropshire, anywhere rural, bridgnorth, much wenlock, broseley, buidwas, me hubby, three kids and pooch!!!! if we dont sort rental we will have no roof over our head! so this HAS to be done!! we have a friend in shropshire who will visit property and take pics and then we intend to sign contract in advance of our arrival.

thanks for your help
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Its a real pain that one!! I've even rang up about buying places left messages, and they still dont even bother to reply!! (obviously dont want our money)..

I think best way would be to send 6 months rental in advance.

Good luck.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:45 am
going home!!

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Its a real pain that one!! I've even rang up about buying places left messages, and they still dont even bother to reply!! (obviously dont want our money)..

I think best way would be to send 6 months rental in advance.

Good luck.

i know, head banging comes to mind!!

i found out last night, since computer had been repaired, in the settings, my pages we not renewing! so everytime i looked on the sites, it was the same houses!!! aaarrrgggghhh, so we have missed loads! bloody computer man, i think iv done it now though, so fingers crossed!!

i was hoping someone somewhere had some insode info! nevermind
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

When we arrived here we were also frustrated at the agents apathy. Had to live with family for a couple of weeks because although we were forced to pay 6 months rental upfront, and deposit and agency fees (about £800 extra) they still make you wait whilst they do credit and character checks..
Good luck.. it will happen, only slower than expected
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:26 am
going home!!

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
When we arrived here we were also frustrated at the agents apathy. Had to live with family for a couple of weeks because although we were forced to pay 6 months rental upfront, and deposit and agency fees (about £800 extra) they still make you wait whilst they do credit and character checks..
Good luck.. it will happen, only slower than expected

we know it will all come into play, why on earth did they want to do credit checks if u were paying 6months upfront??? mind boggles , lol

dont have anywhere to stay when we get back, so this needs to be sorted, keep on the phone me thinks and put up with phone bill...............

thanksx
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:37 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

This isnt directly related to the OP, but we will be staying with my daughter for a few months when we first get back as we are not sure where we want to settle yet. I am wondering if a reference from her would be sufficient for estate agents when we finally decide where we want to be? We will be paying our way at her place, but i am not sure if it would be good enough seeing as we obviously wont have a tenancy agreement or anything similar.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:34 pm
Banned

we are heading to south shropshire, anywhere rural, bridgnorth, much wenlock, broseley, buidwas, me hubby, three kids and pooch!!!! if we dont sort rental we will have no roof over our head! so this HAS to be done!! we have a friend in shropshire who will visit property and take pics and then we intend to sign contract in advance of our arrival.

thanks for your help
http://martinco.com/
http://www.lettingsearch.co.uk/
http://www.gumtree.com/other_gumtrees.html **
http://www.houseladder.co.uk **
http://www.homeswithoutagents.com/

** = Propertys for rent direct from owners , i feel this may be the best route as time is against you and i am sure by dealing direct it should be cheaper and also can speak direct with them ..

Will do a little more researching for you but thats a few to start you off , problem is estate agents are such lazy gits in England that they cant be bothered with answering enquiries !! So do feel your best bet is direct ...
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: securing uk rental - tips on how best to attack this!

whats the best attack?!!

Just wondering if it's worth posting your enquiry on the Australia board and NZ board?

There may very well be a family living in Shropshire (lovely area by the way) who are heading Down Under and don't want to burn all their bridges by selling their property and would consider renting it out for 6 - 12 months or longer? I think they would be more understanding about your situation re; credit references.

Might be worth a shot?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:24 pm
going home!!

Originally Posted by Big Pete
http://martinco.com/
http://www.lettingsearch.co.uk/
http://www.gumtree.com/other_gumtrees.html **
http://www.houseladder.co.uk **
http://www.homeswithoutagents.com/

** = Propertys for rent direct from owners , i feel this may be the best route as time is against you and i am sure by dealing direct it should be cheaper and also can speak direct with them ..

Will do a little more researching for you but thats a few to start you off , problem is estate agents are such lazy gits in England that they cant be bothered with answering enquiries !! So do feel your best bet is direct ...

super job thanks, will have a good look at those when i get back from school run, i think we may have won a estate agent over!!! or so he says! lol, had email off one who says!!! he will email us the first details as soon as they are done! he says he completely understands our position and will help us out, so fingers crossed! this particular estatey has the lions share in that area......but its all gone at the moment

thankyou so much for your effortxx
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:51 pm
Banned

super job thanks, will have a good look at those when i get back from school run, i think we may have won a estate agent over!!! or so he says! lol, had email off one who says!!! he will email us the first details as soon as they are done! he says he completely understands our position and will help us out, so fingers crossed! this particular estatey has the lions share in that area......but its all gone at the moment

thankyou so much for your effortxx
no worries thats what this site is for to help each other ,, hope you get sorted with the agent sounds like you got a good one ,so i shall consider you sorted if you need any more help , just post away
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:00 pm
going home!!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just wondering if it's worth posting your enquiry on the Australia board and NZ board?

There may very well be a family living in Shropshire (lovely area by the way) who are heading Down Under and don't want to burn all their bridges by selling their property and would consider renting it out for 6 - 12 months or longer? I think they would be more understanding about your situation re; credit references.

Might be worth a shot?

thanks for that, may give that ago too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.