Secondary school search

Old Apr 23rd 2021, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice
Default Secondary school search

Hello Expatters

Feeling quite overwhelmed with first steps and wanted to hear from others who have been through the same experience. We’ve been in the US for almost a decade, children were tiny when we moved so have gone through the US education system and are now 9&12. It’s looking likely we’ll be moving home this year (probably in the summer)

I’m trying to work out which school and where we should be looking at for our eldest who would be entering year 8 and am worried about the adjustment he’ll have from the US system (especially this year) where he’s not had much homework or has been particularly challenged academically into the U.K. system.

I know we need to do in-year applications for them both but am I right that you can’t apply to the schools until you have an address? Would it make a difference if we had to move and apply during the U.K. summer holidays? Am a bit worried about arriving in august not knowing if the children have school Places!

has anyone been through a similar process and can advise or share their experiences?

FWIW we’re looking at SE England but haven’t decided exactly where
Old Apr 25th 2021, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secondary school search

Originally Posted by mymatemarmite
Hello Expatters

Feeling quite overwhelmed with first steps and wanted to hear from others who have been through the same experience. We’ve been in the US for almost a decade, children were tiny when we moved so have gone through the US education system and are now 9&12. It’s looking likely we’ll be moving home this year (probably in the summer)

I’m trying to work out which school and where we should be looking at for our eldest who would be entering year 8 and am worried about the adjustment he’ll have from the US system (especially this year) where he’s not had much homework or has been particularly challenged academically into the U.K. system.

I know we need to do in-year applications for them both but am I right that you can’t apply to the schools until you have an address? Would it make a difference if we had to move and apply during the U.K. summer holidays? Am a bit worried about arriving in august not knowing if the children have school Places!

has anyone been through a similar process and can advise or share their experiences?

FWIW we’re looking at SE England but haven’t decided exactly where
​​​​​​Hi, I would try and minimise your search area as this would make finding schools and their standards a bit easier. Schools here are very use to having overseas students and for the most students adapt very well. If your cannot afford to buy in the se where schools in good areas and close to London property can be very expensive can look at other counties . Good luck