Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

SE England or SW England......

SE England or SW England......

Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:58 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SE England or SW England......

Originally Posted by Scout
DH and I were talking over the weekend. When & if the economy starts recovering in a year or so, we hope to sell up and buy a flat along the coast somewhere in England. The biggest question is where? We would really prefer a coastal village and we want good rail conections so we can get to Gatwick relatively easily for flights to Europe. Any thoughts or suggestions?
There can be only one choice - Bognor Regis!

Actually, you could worse than taking a road trip between Portsmouth and Brighton and dropping into all the coastal villages. What sort of size population are you thinking off and how much cash do you have?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

times up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the rough

I lived in Swindon and surrounds and Bournemouth and surrounds and went farther west to Devon and Cornwall many times when in the UK.

If transpot out of the UK is important and I seriously consider how many times a year you will go, then you are writing off Luton, City and Stanstead airports immediately for your cheap flights.

Gatwick is south and Heathrow west of London and both reasonabily ok for access.

If you travel once a month then location relative to the airports is a consideration but if you only travel once a year then it is not. Moving to Devon would make a journey into London a nightmare in itself unless you ca get to the line which runs through Bath and Swindon to Paddington.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:02 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Devon is lovely but I'm not sure it would qualify for easy access to Gatwick or Heathrow. How about Kent? I don't know about transport links but I know people commute into London. Perhaps someone else can help on that one. I can vouch for East Surrey near where I live. Nice areas to live and extremely easy to the airports, although housing is expensive., and of course it is not near the coast.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:00 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

We took the bus/train to Devon from Heathrow, changing at Reading, and it worked fine. It goes to Exeter, Dawlish, Teignmouth, and down to Paignton, I think. Away from the coast you'd change at Exeter I think.

Longer than most places in the south east, of course, but doable.

Bev
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Fishfinder is an unknown quantity at this point

Look no further than the New Forest in Hampshire - Lymington, Lyndhurst etc. 10 minutes on the M27 and straight up the M3, piece of cake.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Horrible place, I personally think everyone should stay away from here, oops sorry, I mean there, bloody horrible place......................
errr, yeah...me too...terrible hell hole of a place
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Horrible place, I personally think everyone should stay away from here, oops sorry, I mean there, bloody horrible place......................
p.s....wot you doing here then? Thought you were still over there?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:18 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
errr, yeah...me too...terrible hell hole of a place
Originally Posted by TraceyW
p.s....wot you doing here then? Thought you were still over there?
We are on the Moor, been here for a month or so now and ABSOLUTELY loving it!

But its bloody horrible, people should stay the hell away, they would hate it, absolutely hate it.................. miserable place!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

HimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to all

i think you should stick to the south east............otherwise you might start talking with a fuuny accent if you go too far west........as nice as the west is,they dont half talk funny!Good luck wherever you choose,at the end of the day,its all England!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HimnHer
i think you should stick to the south east............otherwise you might start talking with a fuuny accent if you go too far west........as nice as the west is,they dont half talk funny!Good luck wherever you choose,at the end of the day,its all England!
I much prefer the west country accent to the Sarf East.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:56 am
Account Closed

Back to UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to be too rude, how old r u guys?

My Mum in Law will be moving back to Folkestone. I am in my late 30's and love Folkestone and Dover.

Folkestone - property price are really reasonable. You are near the ferries to france, the eurostar and Car train as Ashford and easy to get to London !
Old Apr 24th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My Mum lives in Eastbourne and I think it's lovely round there, it has become much more modern over the years and the trains have improved.
I come from Eastbourne - lived there nearly all of my life. Some very nice areas both in Eastbourne and in the surrounding villages but these would depend on the OP's budget and size of village. Arlington is nice and has a few good pubs as does Wilmington and surrounds.

Trains to Gatwick and London are reasonably frequent - they used to be once an hour and more often during commuter times.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

katana is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately the SW ,but then I'm biased.We came from Dorset,lovely countryside & beaches & not far to Bristol or Bournemouth airports that go all over the world.The people are friendly if you can find a local & not an outsider from london.We miss it & are hoping to go back just to make sure it's the best place to be.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HimnHer

Considering I'm an American from the southern part of the US, married to an English guy and currently living in SE Wales........I honestly don't think my accent could get any more confusing
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Trisha52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tolly
There are some nice villages in Hampshire - you can get to heathrow - in less than 1 hour and Gatwick in 1.5 hours by car - trains into London in about 1hr - would need to change to get to Heathrow/gatwick though
Check the line from Plymouth to London Some nice places en-route.