Scottish Borders Area

Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scottish Borders Area

Hi there

We are considering relocating back to the UK - specifically Scottish Borders area - from NZ next year. Our kids will be 15 and 12 by then so our primary consideration is how they will settle in school and generally.

We have family in Scotland but not borders area and are not Scottish ourselves, however, the borders area seems to offer what we're after for lifestyle back in the UK.

Would be really grateful for any advice or comments on Scottish Borders and in particular secondary schools within that area.

Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2019, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Borders Area

The Scottish Borders are beautiful. Stunning in areas.

However it is also very large! Can help you however do you have any inkling whatsoever roughly approximately where you're looking!?
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
The Scottish Borders are beautiful. Stunning in areas.

However it is also very large! Can help you however do you have any inkling whatsoever roughly approximately where you're looking!?
I read somewhere that Earlston High School has a good reputation and looks like it would be a reasonable distance from Edinburgh to commute - wondered also about Peebles.

I'm not sure what the coastal areas are like. It is a big area and I suppose if we do move work and schools will end up dictating a location but it'd be good to get as much info as possible.

There don't seem to be many rental properties about - potentially challenging considering school catchments. We're quite keen but sometimes the logistics seem a bit overwhelming. Somehow it seemed easier when we moved out here - kids were so much younger which I guess makes a difference.

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicejw
I read somewhere that Earlston High School has a good reputation and looks like it would be a reasonable distance from Edinburgh to commute - wondered also about Peebles.

I'm not sure what the coastal areas are like. It is a big area and I suppose if we do move work and schools will end up dictating a location but it'd be good to get as much info as possible.

There don't seem to be many rental properties about - potentially challenging considering school catchments. We're quite keen but sometimes the logistics seem a bit overwhelming. Somehow it seemed easier when we moved out here - kids were so much younger which I guess makes a difference.

Hi
If you are thinking of a commute by car - don't.
Edinburgh is a nightmare by car. The ring road is at a standstill morning and evening and the city is too small for the volume of traffic that tries to visit/pass through.
Have a look at bus routes or train services.
Edinburgh is one of the most expensive places for housing in Scotland. Therefore rental prices within commuting distance reflect the price of housing.
Many years ago my SIL moved to Edinburgh but couldn't afford the house prices.
She bought a house about 20 miles from Edinburgh but the local school was not the best and her 2 boys finished school with just basic qualifications.
The school results are published - you can Google the results.
HTH
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There is some confusion about the term "Borders" The ,local authority areawith that name is the eastern part of the Anglo-Scottish Border. The other bit is in Dumfries and Galloway. Both areas are heavily settled by those from the South. In both areas, publoic transport is poor, although the reopening of The Borders Railway has made a difference. The Scottish Governemnt has been doing its bit to reverse the damage inflicted by Dr Beeching.

We continue to campaign for railway improvement, including the reoping of Hawik to Carlisle and Dumfries to Stranraer.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicejw
Hi there

We are considering relocating back to the UK - specifically Scottish Borders area - from NZ next year. Our kids will be 15 and 12 by then so our primary consideration is how they will settle in school and generally.

We have family in Scotland but not borders area and are not Scottish ourselves, however, the borders area seems to offer what we're after for lifestyle back in the UK.

Would be really grateful for any advice or comments on Scottish Borders and in particular secondary schools within that area.

Thanks
where about in the borders are you looking to relocate too?
Its a big area and pretty bleak.
I'm from Scotland if I was going move back I wouldn't move to the borders I would be going more central.
You can live anywhere central belt and be about a hour drive from the countryside.
But then there is hills and country side 10 to 15 mins drive from anywhere you live in Scotland.
What's attracting you to the borders?
Old Oct 14th 2019, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Forres is an unknown quantity at this point

I come from the Scottish Borders originally. I was born and brought up there, the town of Hawick to be precise. I left there in the mid 1980's when I joined the forces. The Borders were still in full swing at the time, it had industry, jobs, money and wealth, a very vibrant night life. Each town in the region was still booming.
Sadly all that came to an end with the collapse of industry in the early 90's, the place went on a major downward trend after that and I believe it hit rock bottom a number of years ago and is now on an upward trend. I'm considering moving back after all these years and still consider it my home. I still have family and friends there. I've lived abroad for the last 26 years and feel the time is right to move back.

The good thing about the Borders is you're never too far away from a big city. Hawick for example takes around one hour to Edinburgh, around 45 minutes to Carlisle and Newcastle just over an hour. Other Borders towns such as Selkirk, Galashiels and Peebles are easily accessible. Peebles still has a feel good factor about it as does Jedburgh. Further east, Kelso over to Duns and Coldstream are nice also. The best thing you could do is go there for a few weeks and explore to get the feel for the place.

I wish you the very best of luck what ever you decide.