Scotland

Old Oct 31st 2006, 11:47 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland

[QUOTE=Lothianlad]
Originally Posted by busterboy

I live in Edinburgh. Sadly, so do a lot of English people now So there's the reason for the aggressive and hostile people, that's all I can say.

Cheers fae Auld Reekie!

I wasn't going to comment ,until now, you will see a correlation between Scot's and Ozzie's both are separatist, both blame someone else for their woes and both want to secede from the commonwealth .In Scotland you cannot be a member of Parliament unless you were born there yet the english government is full of Scot's.I contracted all over england and when there was trouble on a site you could almost guarantee it was a Scot started it .If it's so sad that english people live in Scotland then may I suggest that you with draw the um-teen thousand Scots from England kick every one out who isn't Scottish do not take another penny from the english government and you can all go back to beating each other to death with your claymores and eating thistle soup. that said I am english and I am sick to the back teeth of people blaming the english for their problems.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 12:01 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lothianlad]
Originally Posted by busterboy

I live in Edinburgh. Sadly, so do a lot of English people now So there's the reason for the aggressive and hostile people, that's all I can say.

Cheers fae Auld Reekie!

Busterboy is very objective and mentions good and bad things about Edinburgh. That people are aggressive is directly related to drinking and the same applies for England too..
Old Nov 1st 2006, 12:37 am
Just Joined

milligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=toandfro]
Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I wasn't going to comment ,until now, you will see a correlation between Scot's and Ozzie's both are separatist, both blame someone else for their woes and both want to secede from the commonwealth .In Scotland you cannot be a member of Parliament unless you were born there yet the english government is full of Scot's.I contracted all over england and when there was trouble on a site you could almost guarantee it was a Scot started it .If it's so sad that english people live in Scotland then may I suggest that you with draw the um-teen thousand Scots from England kick every one out who isn't Scottish do not take another penny from the english government and you can all go back to beating each other to death with your claymores and eating thistle soup. that said I am english and I am sick to the back teeth of people blaming the english for their problems.

Give yourself an upper cut. Have you heard yourself lately? Woe is me. Boo-hoo.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 12:57 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=milligano]
Originally Posted by toandfro

Give yourself an upper cut. Have you heard yourself lately? Woe is me. Boo-hoo.
exactly my point dish it but don't like it .it's ok to slag off the brits but don't you dare speak in defence.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by svinnes
Hi, i am from Aberdeen and moved to oz a year ago, i love Australia but my heart is still in Scotland and i know one day i will go back, don't get me wrong you get crime, drugs and aids everywhere in the world but some people i have spoke to in the past refer to " Scotland the aids capital" think what they like but i aint got aids.
If i went back back i think i would probably either head to Edinburgh or further north up towards Inverness area, totally love it up there. Good place to think about if you like frsh outdoor living but its friggin freezing sometime ok most of the time.
Hope Scotland is everything for you, good luck
Suzanne
I love Scotland and there are plenty of drug problems here,it just seems that no-one talks about it.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:21 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by by the sea side
I love Scotland and there are plenty of drug problems here,it just seems that no-one talks about it.

I've noticed that too.. It's just the way people deal with it. It's probably an unconscious decission, we think that if we ignore it it will go away
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by anabella
I've noticed that too.. It's just the way people deal with it. It's probably an unconscious decission, we think that if we ignore it it will go away
Jamie Oliver picked Melbourne for his next 15 restraunt because he said that he'd never seen kids shooting up on the street before.Do we notice Britain more ie in this case Scotland because people talk about it/or because things don't look so great when it's grey/wet/etc.I always thought oz was clean but here in Rocky it can be grotty and on the beach rd to Yeppoon.Still i don't hear much anger about it.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=toandfro]
Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I wasn't going to comment either until I read your post. Please check your facts before you post. First, neither Scotland nor Australia has said they wish to secede from the Commonwealth. Scotland, at least many of her people, wants to revoke the Act of Union. Australians are continually debating having an Australian Head of State rather than the Queen. Both totally different from leaving the Commonwealth. Second, the is no such thing as an English parliament. The one which sits in Westminster was created in 1707, when the Act of Union was signed, therefore both Scottish and English representatives sit there, as well as Welsh and Irish(?). This parliament has taken money from Scotland, and still is, for the last 300 years. Many of your English institutions would not have been there, if a Scot hadn't founded them and many of the things you use everyday were invented by Scots. You should be thankful for the Scots, not berating them.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:29 am
beam me up scotty

[QUOTE=Gibbo]

I wasn't going to comment either until I read your post. Please check your facts before you post. First, neither Scotland nor Australia has said they wish to secede from the Commonwealth. Scotland, at least many of her people, wants to revoke the Act of Union. Australians are continually debating having an Australian Head of State rather than the Queen. Both totally different from leaving the Commonwealth. Second, the is no such thing as an English parliament. The one which sits in Westminster was created in 1707, when the Act of Union was signed, therefore both Scottish and English representatives sit there, as well as Welsh and Irish(?). This parliament has taken money from Scotland, and still is, for the last 300 years. Many of your English institutions would not have been there, if a Scot hadn't founded them and many of the things you use everyday were invented by Scots. You should be thankful for the Scots, not berating them.
I stand corrected. However my point is mainly that anyone can take a pop at the English but god forbid anyone stand in there defence. As for taking money from Scotland taking a pound and giving 2 is not going to break the bank is it .Scotland receives more in government funds per capita than any english county and sorry but both countries are angling for "self determination" which would mean no affiliation (commonwealth)until re negotiated treaties were established .that said ,I really don't care
one way or the other like many others I am just fed up of being "berated"by nationality and told how good every one else is .As for everyday things those specific people maybe ,but the nation he/she was born to (a random act) get real every developed nation as contributed something to our every day life .
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:51 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=toandfro]
Originally Posted by Gibbo
I stand corrected. However my point is mainly that anyone can take a pop at the English but god forbid anyone stand in there defence. As for taking money from Scotland taking a pound and giving 2 is not going to break the bank is it .Scotland receives more in government funds per capita than any english county and sorry but both countries are angling for "self determination" which would mean no affiliation (commonwealth)until re negotiated treaties were established .that said ,I really don't care
one way or the other like many others I am just fed up of being "berated"by nationality and told how good every one else is .As for everyday things those specific people maybe ,but the nation he/she was born to (a random act) get real every developed nation as contributed something to our every day life .

Well, I have nothing against the English either in my own country of Scotland or whilst they host me in their country of England. I have actually found the English people that I have met to be extremely welcoming.

I think it is good to remember the contribution that the Scots have made to industry, engineering, finance, science and medicine and for a small nation we have much to be proud of.

One thing I have noticed since I have lived in England (been back and forth many times - I am a ping pong Jock)! is that the sense of identify as being English does seem to under attack, that somehow it is not seen as wholesome to be English and that isn't something to celebrate like any other nationality...I think that is a real pity.

I would like to think that we could move towards celebrating our uniqueness whilst embracing other cultures and nationalities but there in lies a huge debate that can become tremendously complex.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=busterboy]

Well, I have nothing against the English either in my own country of Scotland or whilst they host me in their country of England. I have actually found the English people that I have met to be extremely welcoming.

I think it is good to remember the contribution that the Scots have made to industry, engineering, finance, science and medicine and for a small nation we have much to be proud of.Good post.Totally agree with you.There are some political issues but I would hate it to get racist.I have friends that live in England from Scotland,to be honest it's you are has a person not where your from that counts for me.
I must admit I do get tired here of bieng the nodding dog every time someone says how much better it is here when the person has never been out of Rockhampton let alone QLD.I don't let it bother me so much any more .....but sometimes

One thing I have noticed since I have lived in England (been back and forth many times - I am a ping pong Jock)! is that the sense of identify as being English does seem to under attack, that somehow it is not seen as wholesome to be English and that isn't something to celebrate like any other nationality...I think that is a real pity.

I would like to think that we could move towards celebrating our uniqueness whilst embracing other cultures and nationalities but there in lies a huge debate that can become tremendously complex.

Last edited by by the sea side; Nov 1st 2006 at 7:06 am.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=by the sea side]Sorry made a mistake when I posted
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:33 am
beam me up scotty

[QUOTE=busterboy]

I think it is good to remember the contribution that the Scots have made to industry, engineering, finance, science and medicine and for a small nation we have much to be proud of.

very well put love what you say .especially
"I would like to think that we could move towards celebrating our uniqueness whilst embracing other cultures and nationalities but there in lies a huge debate that can become tremendously complex" nothing to add to that really.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:13 am

Jamie Oliver picked Melbourne for his next 15 restraunt because he said that he'd never seen kids shooting up on the street before.Do we notice Britain more ie in this case Scotland because people talk about it/or because things don't look so great when it's grey/wet/etc.I always thought oz was clean but here in Rocky it can be grotty and on the beach rd to Yeppoon.Still i don't hear much anger about it.

It's always harder to point at problems that we have at home.. much easier to look at somebody else's

The place where I have noticed this problem the most was Prague
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:22 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Anabella, there are possibilities on perspective here. Sometimes you really notice something because it is your home place and you see the incremental change, sometimes things are clear because you have returned and can notice difference and sometimes as a visitor you can see with fresh eyes.

Unfortunately, drugs, crime, aggressive people, drunks, lunatic drivers, horrible teenagers, litter louts and irresponsible dog-owners are pretty much everywhere. I think it is a question of how much contact you might have with these elements, are they dispersed or integrated throughout communities and areas, your awareness to these problems.....location and cash can often make a huge difference to what you think of the 'reality' of a place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.