British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   School refusing a place without paying a fee (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/school-refusing-place-without-paying-fee-926874/)

petrichor Aug 2nd 2019 1:33 pm

School refusing a place without paying a fee

We recently returned to the UK with our 15 year old son and we're trying to enrol him at a sixth form college. The school tells us he isn't eligible for funding because he's been absent from the UK for longer than 3 years. They've referred us to this document, paragraph 38. https://assets.publishing.service.go...2020_Final.pdf
Has anyone else encountered this problem? I expected it for university entrance, but not sixth form. I thought children under 18 could receive free education but the school tell us that only applies up to age 16.

Honey246 Aug 2nd 2019 8:04 pm

Re: School refusing a place without paying a fee

As your son is only 15, he would be going into yr11 in September. You have to go to the education department at the council to apply for a school place not the school. We had to do this last summer with our 15yr old and as its the summer holidays you may find you have to wait until school starts to what school your son will go to. This happened to us .

petrichor Aug 3rd 2019 5:15 am

Thanks but his birthday is in a couple of weeks and he'll be 16. As I said he's due to go into sixth form.

Honey246 Aug 3rd 2019 7:04 am

I take you you have moved back permanently and were from? We came back from Canada and our 15yr old had any had canadian education. You are correct in that education is compulsory until they are 18. You can do A levels in college but it's if they have spaces. The education board at the council might be your first call as they should be able to tell you what your options are. If you can go and see them rather then phone.

spouse of scouse Aug 3rd 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by petrichor (Post 12718240)
Thanks but his birthday is in a couple of weeks and he'll be 16. As I said he's due to go into sixth form.

I don't know a lot about the UK education system, but can you not enroll your son in a secondary school sixth form, rather than a sixth form college?

petrichor Aug 3rd 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks Honey246 and spouse of scouse. I think I wasn't clear in my post. My son has a place at a sixth form college to study A levels. The college wants to charge us fees, stating that, as per the guidance I linked, education 16 to 19 is not free for children who have not lived in the EU for the last three years. This isn't a school/college problem, it's an age problem. Has anyone tried to enrol their child in year 12 and been required to pay fees? Or does has our college perhaps misinterpreted the guidance?

SanDiegogirl Aug 3rd 2019 10:12 pm

Having Googled "are there fees for 6th form college in UK" a whole plethora of information came up.....

- there are private 6th Form colleges which certainly charge fees; there are local authority 6th Form colleges which charge fees to overseas student; there are 6th forms in local schools, which do not charge fees; and there was this statement in Quora

UK and EU students in the UK attend sixth form (sixth form college or Years 12 and 13 in a school with a sixth form) free of charge, normally for two or three years after GCSEs. ... Students from outside the UK and on a Tier 4 visa are not entitled to free tuition at this level, and are charged tuition fees.Feb 7, 2018

So it looks as thought, depending on what sort of 6th form college you are looking at, there could certainly be fees for a new student from overseas, British citizen or not.

BritInParis Aug 4th 2019 8:24 am

Take a look at a local comprehensive’s sixth form - those will be free.

HartleyHare Aug 4th 2019 11:55 am

We are British Citizens that returned to the U.K. in 2015 with our then 14 year old. We had spent 2 years in the US. When our daughter joined the school 6th form in 2017 we also had to complete paperwork which included the 3 year question. This is because post 16 education is funded differently, but is still free if you qualify. We were eligible as per section 40a in the document that you have attached in your opening post. This is not the first time that a college has got this wrong and has tried to apply the 3 year rule. Check if you meet the criteria in section 40a and if so point it out to the college. If you are still having problems then contact your LA. This is of course assuming that it is a public and not private college.

Honey246 Aug 4th 2019 3:52 pm

My son has just completed yr11 and will be going into yr12/6form at his school. We haven't been asked to fill in any paperwork don't know if because school is a state school.

HartleyHare Aug 4th 2019 4:38 pm

My daughter was also at a state school and attended the school’s 6th form. Every child in my London borough has to apply for a 6th form place - whether they are attending their current school’s 6th form or the local college. There is one application form that is used by all of the local schools. Schools in other London boroughs or other parts of the U.K. may well do things differently.

petrichor Aug 4th 2019 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by HartleyHare (Post 12718678)
We are British Citizens that returned to the U.K. in 2015 with our then 14 year old. We had spent 2 years in the US. When our daughter joined the school 6th form in 2017 we also had to complete paperwork which included the 3 year question. This is because post 16 education is funded differently, but is still free if you qualify. We were eligible as per section 40a in the document that you have attached in your opening post. This is not the first time that a college has got this wrong and has tried to apply the 3 year rule. Check if you meet the criteria in section 40a and if so point it out to the college. If you are still having problems then contact your LA. This is of course assuming that it is a public and not private college.

Yes it is a state school, not private. Thank you so much for your answer. That's very helpful.