Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

School dinners, best and worst...

Wikiposts

School dinners, best and worst...

Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:37 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School dinners, best and worst...

How can you all hate the Semolina? It was wonderful comfort food.
We got the egg and bacon pie with tomatoes on top too, I pretty much loved everything We had big kitchens and everything was cooked fresh. There were big food waste bins out in the back and the pig farmer came and collected them every afternoon. I wonder if they still do that?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We got the egg and bacon pie with tomatoes on top too, I pretty much loved everything We had big kitchens and everything was cooked fresh. There were big food waste bins out in the back and the pig farmer came and collected them every afternoon. I wonder if they still do that?
I LOVE semolina.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:42 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I used to love beef cobbler. My Mum was a terrible cook, so school dinners were often a treat

I didn't like most of the puddings, I hate custard, and semolina and rice pudding made me gag, worst of all was Angel Delight. I've got throw up in my mouth just thinking about it.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I only had one or two school meals in primary school because I usually walked home for lunch. I remember the semolina - I quite liked it. It wasn't the best semolina in the world but it was ok
Old Mar 28th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Do they still get the small bottle of milk at morning break time in the primary schools?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Do they still get the small bottle of milk at morning break time in the primary schools?
No, that went out with Margaret Thatcher.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:45 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee

The very, very worst though was the compulsory gooseberry crumble for dessert. (I have mentioned this before as I am scarred deeply by it.) I HATED gooseberries and had a cruel headmistress who would stand over me in the dining hall after everyone had gone and watch me dry retch over every mouthful until it was all gone.
I had that same headmistress! She would stand over me while I gagged on my semolina.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:50 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

In infants, they called beetroot "Big chiefs" no idea why.

In high school, we too had the flan thing with a slice of tomato on top, I'd have that sometimes with the chips.

Usually I had the apple pie and ice cream and/or a scone and butter, and keep the rest of the money and save it up and buy a record.

I'd get home starving and eat a pile of Jacobs cream crackers with mixed fruit jam.

Oh yes, they had this weird coffee that always had milk skin on top.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:55 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
In infants, they called beetroot "Big chiefs" no idea why.

In high school, we too had the flan thing with a slice of tomato on top, I'd have that sometimes with the chips.

Usually I had the apple pie and ice cream and/or a scone and butter, and keep the rest of the money and save it up and buy a record.

I'd get home starving and eat a pile of Jacobs cream crackers with mixed fruit jam.

Oh yes, they had this weird coffee that always had milk skin on top.
Jacobs cream crackers, butter and blackcurrant jam was my after school snack.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

Similarly in later years after primary school, my dinner money was put to use on some less than nourishing choices. (Usually Ten No.6 and chips from the chip shop) I used to load up on stacks of cream crackers, sandwiched together with butter on too. I still like them like that!!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:12 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It is clear that Jacobs have a lot to answer for.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
No, that went out with Margaret Thatcher.
Should have known the Iron Fiend of a Lady would scrap some British heritage
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Similarly in later years after primary school, my dinner money was put to use on some less than nourishing choices. (Usually Ten No.6 and chips from the chip shop) I used to load up on stacks of cream crackers, sandwiched together with butter on too. I still like them like that!!
One of my all-time favorites - Jacob's cream crackers with lots of butter
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Jacobs cream crackers, butter and blackcurrant jam was my after school snack.
oh my...me too, craving one now!

I remember we called beans on toast, 'skinheads on a raft' for some reason.

I spent my last year of school at a private school where we had to serve the teachers lunch in their lounge. You'd go in and I kid you not, we'd serve them wine and be met by a fug of ciggy smoke. This was in the eighties.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:20 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

I never had dinner at school, Mum would always make me sandwiches and for some reason she had a thing for apples, so I'd get plain apple, or apple and cheese ! Now I can't even LOOK at an apple without remembering those days.. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.