Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

School/College Advice needed - college trying to charge fee

School/College Advice needed - college trying to charge fee

Old Jul 17th 2015, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School/College Advice needed - college trying to charge fee

Originally Posted by luvmykids
The education act has changed and he has to be in school until he is 17. The college has just contacted me and they are adamant about the fee. There is another college in the area, we will apply to them too. This now has me wondering about my daughter who is 14, will she be charged for public school?
My son moved back at 18 alone and enrolled in sixth form college to sit English A levels even though he had done year 12 and 13 overseas.
He was not charged any fees for his course.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 1:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Education is free to under age 19 residents. (Thats what the local college told us)
My oldest has to pay for his first year on a BTEC at local college as he's only been here two years (over 19), his second year there will be free as he'll meet the 3 year rule and didn't just come to UK for an education the whole family moved.
I'd try again once you actually move, then you will all be residents and he should be eligible for free to under 19's education.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of

Thanks Pistolpete2, Spacecake799 and Mummy in the foothills. It's helpful to hear from people who have walked this out. I spoke with the LEA yesterday and they said he is indeed entitled to free education. They are looking into some bits for me and will get back to me on Monday.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I have the solution for you re the funding question. We've been back almost 2 years with my daughter just completing her GCSE's. She applied to 3 6th form centres all of which accepted her. Anyway we received what I thought was a very off email questioning her funding eligibility as she had stated on her UCAS app for 6th form that she has lived outside of the EU in the last 3 years. Essentially the criteria this one 6th form center used appeared to be the same as how a uni would determine fees eligibility which took me aback as 16 - 19 education should be free for all in the UK.

It appears that that is not strictly the case in some cases but in your case you will be fine. If you get any more trouble refer them to the current EFA guidelines https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._2015_2016.pdf
According to the EFA funding eligibility guidelines for 16-19 year olds, there are several scenarios whereby students are eligible for EFA funding.

The following section is how your child qualifies for funding and therefore free education in the EFA guidelines:
3. 28. In addition to the groups above, the EFA will also consider the following groups of students (including those who may not have lived in the UK for the last three years) aged up to and including the age of 18 as eligible for funding. a. those who are accompanying or joining parents or spouses or civil partners who have the right of abode or leave to enter or remain in the UK (or accompanying or joining relevant family members, usually parents, who are EEA nationals), or those who are children of diplomats.

It scared me at first when we received the initial e-mail but once I quoted the EFA guidelines to them they backed off.

Last edited by bromleygirl; Jul 18th 2015 at 9:47 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of

EFA - my sister mentioned that. She is a teacher and she is looking into that for me, awesome! Feeling hopeful now :-)
Old Jul 24th 2015, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you once again Bromleygirl. We mentioned EFA guideline 3:28 to college and yesterday heard the good news that my son has full funding
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We moved back to the UK after over 12 years living Australia, when we arrived back in the UK we visited a few colleges in the areas we were interested in living, our son choose the college and then the courses which were and Advanced BTEC, GCSE English, Maths & Science and we did not (nor were we asked) have to pay anything, the colleges knew of our Sons education and where he/we had lived previously (Australia) this was in 2010 things might have changed since then though. Good luck
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvmykids
Thank you once again Bromleygirl. We mentioned EFA guideline 3:28 to college and yesterday heard the good news that my son has full funding
Glad to hear you got a good result. The college had its wires crossed on this one, which isn't surprising as the rules are a little complex. Children resident in the UK are entitled to free education regardless of the three year EU residency rule. The rule comes into play for older students, such as uni students. FE colleges offer courses for children and adults, so they must apply the rule according to the many varied students they have, resulting in confusion sometimes.