This Sceptred Isle

Old Mar 26th 2003, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Amazonman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This Sceptred Isle

This sceptred Isle(I said sceptred not septic),

For those of you returning and to those leaving with all those nasty thoughts of what they have left behind.

Do you hanker for Bali, Hawaii, Majorca, St Lucia or Mustique I suppose you could add Sydney etc? Forget them all. you are already privileged to be living on quite simply the most beautiful Island on Earth, according to the 2003 edition of Lonely Planet.

Lonely Planet vouching for Britains astounding variety describes London as one of the truly great capitals. Tourists and Brits should get off the beaten track to discover newly rejuvenated cities beautiful countryside and magnificent coastlines. You can immerse yourself in history, marvel at majestic cathedrals, eat in world class restaurants or friendly local cafes, down a pint in a traditional pub, stroll through chocolate box villages, hike over wild moors, or dance all night in an ultra trendy club. And all in a country that takes about 12 hours to drive end to end.

Robin Young
The Times
March 26 2003

Ah I feel better already.

Just get a little fed up with peoples negative view of the UK.

We may be a small country and don't have cuddly looking marsupials roaming around our countryside but nevertheless we're an important part of the planet and although its probably not pc to say it I am proud to be British.

Welcome back to all those returning and good luck.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: This Sceptred Isle

Originally posted by Amazonman

For those of you returning and to those leaving with all those nasty thoughts of what they have left behind.

Do you hanker for Bali, Hawaii, Majorca, St Lucia or Mustique I suppose you could add Sydney etc? Forget them all. you are already privileged to be living on quite simply the most beautiful Island on Earth, according to the 2003 edition of Lonely Planet.

Lonely Planet vouching for Britains astounding variety describes London as one of the truly great capitals. Tourists and Brits should get off the beaten track to discover newly rejuvenated cities beautiful countryside and magnificent coastlines. You can immerse yourself in history, marvel at majestic cathedrals, eat in world class restaurants or friendly local cafes, down a pint in a traditional pub, stroll through chocolate box villages, hike over wild moors, or dance all night in an ultra trendy club. And all in a country that takes about 12 hours to drive end to end.

Robin Young
The Times
March 26 2003

We may be a small country and don't have cuddly looking marsupials roaming around our countryside but nevertheless we're an important part of the planet and although its probably not pc to say it I am proud to be British.

Good for you! Its good to have a few positive messages about the UK around, and expressing pride in ones country is never a bad thing. we should remember though....for all of the few whiners who are on this site, moaning about the UK there are sixty million who live there quite happily.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 11:32 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

I completely agree. Luckily we have 'been there and done that' so can view the 'negative Britain' brigade from up here in our towers of knowledge.
Always good for a chuckle though these forums!
Old Mar 27th 2003, 4:46 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Robin Young
The Times
March 26 2003

Here, here.

I too am fed up people being so negative about Britain, because of course I know it's not true as I come from an area next to beautiful beaches and beautiful countryside, I’ve seen a tiny bit of the world too, and I am absolutely fed up of people saying everything is congested in the Uk, this and that - too cold, etc etc. What rot!! Yes maybe if you're in a big city like London with 7 million people - but if you don't like London ,get out of there, not everywhere is like that. Wales has only 2.9 million compared to London's 7 million, and you could fit London in a good few times into Wales (I haven't got the actual size/figure of London - just know you can fit it into Wales a good few times) And what about beautiful Cornwall and Devon

Do you know I've travelled to more places outside the UK than within it? Which is a shame. There's a few things what I want do when I come home - I've never been to Scotland - so I wouldn't mind going on a touring holiday there, and the other one which I want to do is go to Ireland and see my mum's hometown etc. Take off with a small tent, a fishing rod and some money of course for a couple of months - and for any negative bee's who say's it's too cold to do that - you don't get so cold if you move your body around a bit and not sit on your butt in the house, watching TV and moaning it’s too cold to go out - try it sometime

Anyway, I totally agree with you - good post.

cheers
Old Mar 28th 2003, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ceri
Here, here.

I too am fed up people being so negative about Britain, because of course I know it's not true as I come from an area next to beautiful beaches and beautiful countryside, I’ve seen a tiny bit of the world too, and I am absolutely fed up of people saying everything is congested in the Uk, this and that - too cold, etc etc. What rot!! Yes maybe if you're in a big city like London with 7 million people - but if you don't like London ,get out of there, not everywhere is like that. Wales has only 2.9 million compared to London's 7 million, and you could fit London in a good few times into Wales (I haven't got the actual size/figure of London - just know you can fit it into Wales a good few times) And what about beautiful Cornwall and Devon

Do you know I've travelled to more places outside the UK than within it? Which is a shame. There's a few things what I want do when I come home - I've never been to Scotland - so I wouldn't mind going on a touring holiday there, and the other one which I want to do is go to Ireland and see my mum's hometown etc. Take off with a small tent, a fishing rod and some money of course for a couple of months - and for any negative bee's who say's it's too cold to do that - you don't get so cold if you move your body around a bit and not sit on your butt in the house, watching TV and moaning it’s too cold to go out - try it sometime

Anyway, I totally agree with you - good post.

cheers

"Hey" I'm off to Scotland (and other places) in May. my Sister said it's a really great place..................
Old Mar 28th 2003, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Most people do seem to moan about London, Ceri I shall be with you again, S

Scotland and Perthshire, where we live is stunning, possibly the most beautiful places I have seen the scenery and landscape never ceases to amaze me, I may be moving away, but I came back from Oz appreciating the history and culture that Scotland has. You know just down the road was the castle where Mary Queen of Scots was held prisoner all those years (you just don't get somethign like that over there) My husband and I intend to see all of this country before we leave we went to Oban not long ago to the birth place of my husbands clan Mcdougall and hope to head over th Islands and Sutherlands soon. We have filmed most of it so it will be close at heart.

have a good time here in Sotladn if you need any tips send me a PM
Carrianne x
Old Mar 29th 2003, 7:59 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Robin Young
The Times
March 26 2003

I totally agree and having lived in Sweden for 3 years appreciate my 'home' of Britain more than ever.

I do miss home and am sure that one day me and my family will return. I think the countryside of Britain some of the most beautiful in the world, whenever I go home it makes my heart sing to see those green fields, so many bright colours it makes Sweden look drab in comparison.

Also, I am very proud to be British. Even with all the bad press that we get I feel that we have a lot to be proud of, our history, our culture and yes even our food ( not just fish and chips and steak and kidney pud - although it beats the hell out of meatballs and falukorv stroganof!). I also think we have a brilliant sense of humour and, unlike a lot of countries, enjoy that we can laugh at ourselves.

Sometimes people become too insular and can only see the bad in things; a different perspective really opens your eyes to the fact that every country has its good and bad points. There probably is no such thing as 'paradise' but being happy where you are is a start.
Old Mar 29th 2003, 8:18 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Emm
I totally agree and having lived in Sweden for 3 years appreciate my 'home' of Britain more than ever.

I do miss home and am sure that one day me and my family will return. I think the countryside of Britain some of the most beautiful in the world, whenever I go home it makes my heart sing to see those green fields, so many bright colours it makes Sweden look drab in comparison.

Also, I am very proud to be British. Even with all the bad press that we get I feel that we have a lot to be proud of, our history, our culture and yes even our food ( not just fish and chips and steak and kidney pud - although it beats the hell out of meatballs and falukorv stroganof!). I also think we have a brilliant sense of humour and, unlike a lot of countries, enjoy that we can laugh at ourselves.

Sometimes people become too insular and can only see the bad in things; a different perspective really opens your eyes to the fact that every country has its good and bad points. There probably is no such thing as 'paradise' but being happy where you are is a start.

Know exactly what you mean. I've enjoyed my four years in Canada, but it sure has given me a greater appreciation of Britain. I've said this in another post, but whenever I go back to see my parents I think how lucky they are to have so many great things all around, whether its beautiful countryside, great pubs, so much cultural activity (theatre, museums art galleries) sporting events, opportunities for travel etc etc. Also completely miss the sense of humour...loads of other little things you may not miss 'till they're gone. For all its grumbles, the UK is still a great place to live.
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a newbie poster here, although not new to living abroad- we lived in Zambia for 2 years and currently in USA for 11 years and counting. Born and bred in my beloved Wales, I've lived in Scotland and England for years too. My Hubby has travelled the world several times over with his career and - East or West Britain is best as far as he is concerned now, and it always has been for me- we're thinking of retiring in about 10 years or so, and I'm starting to look out for that little cottage in Wales to spend at least 8 months of the year. Wales is a great place to live- low cost of living, high quality of life- uncluttered, wonderful beaches, mountains and freedom.

This thread is music to my ears, I'm fed up with the moans coming out of Britain too, they don't know they're born really- we lived near London for 8 years and although I love the city, I would never live there- the same as I would never live in New York or Miami or any major US city. I must admit most of our old London friends are enjoying a very good life thank you very much, as are most of our old brit friends in general- but reading some ex-pat sites - you'd think Britain was ruled by Pol Pot! I can hear moans like that from my American co-workers every day- they'd move to UK in a heartbeat if they could. So its a joy to read these posts.

Yes there are immigrants in UK but getting so fed up about that fact by becoming an immigrant and heading for a country with worse immigration problems for a bit of sunshine and a big house, doesn't make much sense to me. My brother was one of those who "had to get out of the country" - two years in Brazil has changed his view somewhat- he's heading home soon.

James Joyce said he had to leave Ireland to really love it, maybe that's the case for a lot of people.

I'm proud to be British- and with all the travelling my family members have done, there is no flag I'd feel safer under abroad than the Union flag. and there is no feeling like it when you get off the plane at Heathrow And yes the grass is definitely greener in UK (grin), the green hits you in the face when you go home for a visit, its so vivid!
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 3:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Taffyles
I'm a newbie poster here, although not new to living abroad- we lived in Zambia for 2 years and currently in USA for 11 years and counting. Born and bred in my beloved Wales, I've lived in Scotland and England for years too. My Hubby has travelled the world several times over with his career and - East or West Britain is best as far as he is concerned now, and it always has been for me- we're thinking of retiring in about 10 years or so, and I'm starting to look out for that little cottage in Wales to spend at least 8 months of the year. Wales is a great place to live- low cost of living, high quality of life- uncluttered, wonderful beaches, mountains and freedom.

This thread is music to my ears, I'm fed up with the moans coming out of Britain too, they don't know they're born really- we lived near London for 8 years and although I love the city, I would never live there- the same as I would never live in New York or Miami or any major US city. I must admit most of our old London friends are enjoying a very good life thank you very much, as are most of our old brit friends in general- but reading some ex-pat sites - you'd think Britain was ruled by Pol Pot! I can hear moans like that from my American co-workers every day- they'd move to UK in a heartbeat if they could. So its a joy to read these posts.

Yes there are immigrants in UK but getting so fed up about that fact by becoming an immigrant and heading for a country with worse immigration problems for a bit of sunshine and a big house, doesn't make much sense to me. My brother was one of those who "had to get out of the country" - two years in Brazil has changed his view somewhat- he's heading home soon.

James Joyce said he had to leave Ireland to really love it, maybe that's the case for a lot of people.

I'm proud to be British- and with all the travelling my family members have done, there is no flag I'd feel safer under abroad than the Union flag. and there is no feeling like it when you get off the plane at Heathrow And yes the grass is definitely greener in UK (grin), the green hits you in the face when you go home for a visit, its so vivid!

- well said! - From another Welsh person, I'm fed up to the back teeth of people saying Britain is this and that, when they are comparing a few cities in England and saying this is Britain, get real, there are beautiful parts of Britain - I always defend Wales , because that's what I know, I can't defend England, because I've never lived there , but I will defend Cornwall - spent many a holiday there - beautiful. To hear some of the ridiculous statements coming from Brit's themselves is unbelievable, they’ve obviously never gone out and explored the UK. You know yourself coming from Wales that the beaches and countryside in parts is breathtaking especially Gower (where I'm from) and to be honest I've never seen one beach here where I am (Brisbane) which in my opinion is as beautiful as Rhossili and the surrounding beaches - Noosa national park comes very close.

I’ve been out of Wales/Britain for 11 years (Singapore 5, Aus 6) , travelling back for the occasional holiday. And one thing I can honestly say – is you don’t realise what you have in Britain until living in another country for years.

This should make you homesick – it’s not my web page, I just came across it on the net. http://community.webshots.com/album/51158495PMLGLH

And how about this cottage for you in Gower http://www.latelet.com/rentals/4437.html - That’s enough to make you homesick isn’t it?

Cheers
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Taffyles

This is a really good thread. As a proud scot (and a proud brit too I should say...the Black watch are doing us proud!!!) I always stick up for my homeland. Since moving back to scotland we've noticed just how much more there is to do here...walks in the countryside, museums, art gallerys, beautiful architecture, history galore, great pubs, music events, the highlands on our doorstep etc etc etc... In my heart there's only one place I want to be, and its here. Despite all the hassles (most of which you find everywhere else) its still a fantastic country.
As for all the knockers..well as someone else said, just remember the sixty million people who live here quite happily....

Last edited by joebloggs; Apr 2nd 2003 at 5:59 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2003, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Taffyles

I know what you mean, but we should remember that this is an expat site, so by its very nature its going to attract people who want to move abroad. There are lots of people who still live very happily in UK, but who we never hear from. Don't judge everybody in UK on the basis of the same few whingers on this site...
Good post by the way...
Old Apr 7th 2003, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
- well said! - From another Welsh person, I'm fed up to the back teeth of people saying Britain is this and that, when they are comparing a few cities in England and saying this is Britain, get real, there are beautiful parts of Britain - I always defend Wales , because that's what I know, I can't defend England, because I've never lived there , but I will defend Cornwall - spent many a holiday there - beautiful. To hear some of the ridiculous statements coming from Brit's themselves is unbelievable, they’ve obviously never gone out and explored the UK. You know yourself coming from Wales that the beaches and countryside in parts is breathtaking especially Gower (where I'm from) and to be honest I've never seen one beach here where I am (Brisbane) which in my opinion is as beautiful as Rhossili and the surrounding beaches - Noosa national park comes very close.

I’ve been out of Wales/Britain for 11 years (Singapore 5, Aus 6) , travelling back for the occasional holiday. And one thing I can honestly say – is you don’t realise what you have in Britain until living in another country for years.

This should make you homesick – it’s not my web page, I just came across it on the net. http://community.webshots.com/album/51158495PMLGLH

And how about this cottage for you in Gower http://www.latelet.com/rentals/4437.html - That’s enough to make you homesick isn’t it?

Cheers
You're mad! Those pictures send a chill down my spine. The weather is typically British - miserable, grey and damn cold. Just look at the faces on the miserable sods in the pictures. You've been away too long, and youve got a distorted memory of what its like. The last time I went to Cardiff on business, I asked two old ladies at a bus stop where Debenhams was, and one of them replied "Why don't you f*@k off back to your own country?" Nice eh?
Old Apr 7th 2003, 4:22 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sundarize
You're mad! Those pictures send a chill down my spine. The weather is typically British - miserable, grey and damn cold. Just look at the faces on the miserable sods in the pictures. You've been away too long, and youve got a distorted memory of what its like.

I'm one of the people who has been posting here about moving back to the UK...I've been fortunate enough to be able to get back home three times within the last 15 months so I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm getting into here...I don't have a distorted memory of what its like. I was there (uk) last at Christmas, and as always I was struck by how much there is to do there, the beauty of the countryside, how great it was to be back with family and close friends. Said it before and I'll say it again...despite some of the moans, its still a really good place to live

ps Ceri...thought the pictures of Gower were great...thats one area I will definetely try and get to when I'm back
Old Apr 7th 2003, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally posted by sundarize
You're mad! Those pictures send a chill down my spine. The weather is typically British - miserable, grey and damn cold. Just look at the faces on the miserable sods in the pictures. You've been away too long, and youve got a distorted memory of what its like. The last time I went to Cardiff on business, I asked two old ladies at a bus stop where Debenhams was, and one of them replied "Why don't you f*@k off back to your own country?" Nice eh?
Its hard to make people from the UK Understand that having snow in six months of the year as we have had this year in Nova Scotia is a bad thing. Personally I cannot stand the thought of another winter here. I wouldn't mind it if it only went on for a few months but that simply doesn't seem to be the case. It gets a bit tiring after a while when I have to keep putting skiing trousers on just to walk the dogs. It is just too cold and all I keep hearing about the UK is that they are having lovely weather this year!!! Personally I would swop the mild UK weather for this any day of the week!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.