That Saturday Feeling

Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:30 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default That Saturday Feeling

Does anyone else miss this?

When I lived in UK I always knew it was Saturday or Sunday. Certain things ALWAYS happened on those days and were set in stone. I liked that!!

Saturdays

Car boot sales
Kids always watched the TV morning shows.
Shops were packed to the rafters
Men went off to the football
Horse racing on TV
Match of the day was on at night
Saturday night out was special. You all got dressed up to the nines and out on the town.

Sundays

Late rising
Bacon and eggs for brekkie
The sound of the church bell ringing at 11am
Wembley Market at the stadium
The world and its wife were out into the country lanes for an afternoon out.

There were so many little things that made you feel it was different to the rest of the week. Somehow i have never felt that since i left UK.

What things made you know it was Staurday or Sunday?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:04 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: That Saturday Feeling

friday night was always a curry out with our friends...we all loved our friday nights, chatting about our past week and what was in our plans the following week.

sat was a lazy relaxing day. we'd meet up with some friends/locals in the pub during lunch time. in the evenings we'd be out for dinner or have friends over for dinner, something was always going on. sat afternoons we'd go walking, usually over the surrey hills and then back and shower and get dolled up for the night out, usually meeting up about 8/9pm.

sunday was always a lie in reading the sunday papers and then out for 1pm sunday lunch in 'the toby cottage' our local 16th century restaurant. back home to relax and watch the tv, pref formula 1 during the racing season. some sundays we'd skip lunch out and go down the M3 to blackbushe market for a good old rummage round and a huge tasty ham hock baguette

do i miss it...you bet!!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

I totally agree with the last two postings.

Friday night was curry night, Saturday was shopping in the city centre, going to furniture stores, football games etc etc and then get together with family over a few drinks.

Sunday, oh my god do I miss the Sunday papers . Late brekkie, up to mums for Sunday late lunch, home for supper and get ready for the rest of the week.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:23 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Saturday....up early, took kids to their footy clubs for training...dropped them off, went to the bank every Saturday to put wage in. Picked kids up, had lunch...OH went to 5 a side football, i went to pub with friends with kids, we all met back up later, had a curry. One Saturday in every month we went clubbing in Leeds so on those occasions it was a little shopping in Leeds to get the gear.

Sunday...up early to watch kids play in their footy matches. (in all weather).back home to clean up, then off for a sunday lunch in many of the great pubs/restaurants. Evening was time to stick on a DVD and eat chocolate...that we deserved

I want to go home
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Saturday:
Horse racing
The footy results at 4.40
Lousy television on Saturday night
Pie and chips from the chippy down the road.

Sunday
That lovely big Sunday paper
quiet streets
roast dinner
just a peaceful feeling
Old Mar 29th 2008, 5:10 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh yes i forgot Friday night beer and curry!!

Thick Sunday newspapers too.

I have been thinking a lot about all the old markets i used to go to in London. There was always some middle aged bloke on a fruit and veg stall yelling his wares at the top of his voice flirting with all the housewives.

And how come every time you went out on the Sunday afternoon drive, you got stuck behind some old bloke wearing a hat driving at 10 miles an hour!!

Last edited by Fleaflyfloflum; Mar 29th 2008 at 5:12 am.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:25 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the weekend smells in the UK then?

There was always the smell of freshly cut grass in the summer months wasn't there? It doesn't smell the same over here.

Then there was the smell of bonfires in peoples gardens, or the occasional smell of a b-b-q.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

It was always Sundays that I enjoyed back home. Wake up late, cup of tea in bed reading the papers and listening to Radio 4.

Oh how I miss Radio 4. It's just not the same listening to it on the internet.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Does anyone else miss this?

When I lived in UK I always knew it was Saturday or Sunday. Certain things ALWAYS happened on those days and were set in stone. I liked that!!

Saturdays

Car boot sales
Kids always watched the TV morning shows.
Shops were packed to the rafters
Men went off to the football
Horse racing on TV
Match of the day was on at night
Saturday night out was special. You all got dressed up to the nines and out on the town.

Sundays

Late rising
Bacon and eggs for brekkie
The sound of the church bell ringing at 11am
Wembley Market at the stadium
The world and its wife were out into the country lanes for an afternoon out.

There were so many little things that made you feel it was different to the rest of the week. Somehow i have never felt that since i left UK.

What things made you know it was Staurday or Sunday?
I used to love Saturday shopping in New Look, Dorothy Perkins and other assorted shops in town, then jumping on the bus to go home, seeing my mum for a while and ordering a take away, then sitting watching Only Fools And Horses on UKTV Gold, or some other comedy that was on. Some Saturday nights I would get dressed up and go out clubbing with my friends. If not then Friday nights.

Sundays (when I wasn't working) it was get up, (aaah.... church bells... thanks for the reminder!) have a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea, go to a boot fair if there was one on, go home, cook lunch, have lunch and catch up with Eastenders, watch football for a while.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

One of the things I've missed most is a decent bacon sandwich.

We lived near Manchester for a while and there was one of those caravans in the carpark of the local retail park that did the most wonderful bacon barms. We'd go there on a weekend morning and sit in the car with a bacon barm with loads of brown sauce, and cup of tea.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AHamm
a bacon barm with loads of brown sauce, and cup of tea.
ohhh yes please, love daddies sauce on it
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBrit
I'll have one for you when I get home
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AHamm
I'll have one for you when I get home
ohh tks, and make that a large mug of tea without
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
All this talk of bacon butties on a Saturday morning!! Flippin' eck..I had to get my crappy streaky stuff out to satisfy the craving and a drooling
No brown sauce on mine though...I like my bacon butties with either yolky fried egg or cheddar cheese mmmmmmmmm Oh and plenty of black pepper and sprinkle of salt!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:24 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Saturdays (and Sundays) were usually a bit different for me. I used to race motorbikes so Saturday was qualifying (if it was a big race) and Sunday was race day. (like my triathlon efforts, I was never fast, but always there )

If there was no racing, then usually, just give the bikes a clean on Saturday, see my Nan on Sun mornings, pub at lunchtime (I didn't drink at all then, and rarely now). Then Sunday afternoon a few of us would ride somewhere like Weston Super Mare, Cheddar, Bath or somewhere. Sun evening was usually at home or pub.

The only nightclubs I went to were in Bristol, one was called Roxy's and the other was called The Granary. Granary was for your Led Zep, Black Sabbath custom bike riding types (like my sister and her friends), Roxy's was more for your sportbikes and Van Halen types (like me). Both lots tolerated each other though in both clubs. T'was tres cool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.