Salaries?!

Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:22 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Salaries?!

I think £500 should be OK for food because food is supposedly much cheaper in the UK than Oz and you'll lnow what you spend in Oz. We eat a lot of ready meals so our bill is quite high. Having said that, teens eat loads so you might want to add a bit on for your teen. Also we don't eat any meat at all so that probably reduces our monthly grocery bill (though the ready meals may make up for it!)

For Mobiles, do shop around. You'll know whether you text or call much. I hardly text but call my mum several times a day so I went for a high # of minutes per month. I'm with 3 and I get 900 mins. I don't know if Oz is like the US where you have to pay for the handsets, in the UK if you take a contract you get the handset free.

We may our TV licence quarterly, it's about £37/quarter I think, so your budget is about right. But don't opt for monthly payments, as theat way they make you pay the first year's licence in 5 months, then start paying for the second year's licence. It's dumb, I'd just opt to pay quarterly in arrears. You really don't need cable either unless you watch loads of TV. Now most of the UK has gone digital, you can get loads of channels free. Of course if you are big sports fans you may want Sky for that.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've asked on my London Board and they reckon starting @ 45 to 50K for a joint income.

Croydon and The Elephant and Castle were suggested for cheap rents.... Croydon has really good transport links to the CBD... less than 20 mins on fast train.. Elephant is close in but not the best area.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I think £500 should be OK for food because food is supposedly much cheaper in the UK than Oz and you'll lnow what you spend in Oz. We eat a lot of ready meals so our bill is quite high. Having said that, teens eat loads so you might want to add a bit on for your teen. Also we don't eat any meat at all so that probably reduces our monthly grocery bill (though the ready meals may make up for it!)

For Mobiles, do shop around. You'll know whether you text or call much. I hardly text but call my mum several times a day so I went for a high # of minutes per month. I'm with 3 and I get 900 mins. I don't know if Oz is like the US where you have to pay for the handsets, in the UK if you take a contract you get the handset free.

We may our TV licence quarterly, it's about £37/quarter I think, so your budget is about right. But don't opt for monthly payments, as theat way they make you pay the first year's licence in 5 months, then start paying for the second year's licence. It's dumb, I'd just opt to pay quarterly in arrears. You really don't need cable either unless you watch loads of TV. Now most of the UK has gone digital, you can get loads of channels free. Of course if you are big sports fans you may want Sky for that.
Thanks Squirrel!

Wow, it is so much cheaper in the UK for mobiles - we get 300 free mins for about 30 quid per month in Aus (and yes we do have to pay for the handset too even when on a 2 yr contract!)

Not into sport, so not fussed about cable but hubby loves his comedy, which shouldn't be a problem as the comedy is great in the UK (not like Aus where it is virtually non-existent. We watch UK-TV for our comedy fix) and I would imagine there would be plenty on the free channels.

So I should pay the TV licence quarterly in arrears - thanks for the tip Squirrel.

Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Basil Brush

So I should pay the TV licence quarterly in arrears - thanks for the tip Squirrel.

You pay a tiny additional cost when paying quarterly (£1.25 a quarter) which you don't pay if you opt to pay monthly.

Cost details are here... http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay/pay...ocumentid=pay1
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rebs
You pay a tiny additional cost when paying quarterly (£1.25 a quarter) which you don't pay if you opt to pay monthly.

Cost details are here... http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay/pay...ocumentid=pay1
Thanks Rebs - I'm happy to pay the extra few quid for the quarterly arrangement. It will be a refreshing change to watch decent TV once we are back in the UK - the stuff in Aus is mind-numbing (although I have enjoyed the Underbelly series, which is based on true events of the underworld crimes in Melbourne over the last 10 or so years)

As with many things I think you need to spend time out of the UK to appreciate all the things that Brits take for granted - good TV, the NHS, accessibility to Europe and cheap package holidays and so much more
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Okay, so I'll average it out at 70 quid a tank - so I'm saying roughly 300 quid per month for fuel.

Can somebody tell me what a TV licence currently costs per month?

Also any ideas if my 500 quid per month is a good estimate to feed a family of 2 Adults and 1 x 17 y/o (effectively 3 x Adults). We do tend to eat chicken or meat most nights (even when we have pasta we put chicken or meat into it, which one of my Aussie friends thinks is weird as she thinks we should just have pasta with sauce on it!!) I'm intending to do a fake shop on Tesco online at some point soon, but if anyone has any ideas that would be great

This is what I am thinking so far - is there anything obvious that I'm missing?

Rent / Mortgage £800.00
Food £500.00
Council Tax £120.00
Gas / Electric £70.00
Water £36.00
Phone (Landline) £25.00
Mobile - 1 £22.00
Mobile - 2 £22.00
Ins - Contents £20.00
Ins - Building £0.00 (while renting)
Car - Finance £200.00
Car - Fuel £300.00 (Based on 1 tank per week)
Car - Servicing £50.00
TV Licence £15.00
Entertain/Dining Out £200.00

TOTAL PER MTH £2,380.00

Wow, money goes nowhere these days!!
I would personally adjust a few of these although others may disagree but for a family of four we pay £148 a month for gas and electricity. However, I am home during the day and I don't skimp. When I'm cold the heating goes on, if the weather is suspect the washing goes in the dryer. I have 2 teenagers so there is lots of washing.

My water is £51 a month but then that is at least 4 showers/baths a day and 2-3 loads of washing, plus watering the garden and washing the car, oh and I forgot the dishwasher which is on at least twice a day I am on a meter though, older homes tend to still be on water rates which are cheaper and you are not charged for usage.

The council tax is spot on for a 3 bed semi but it would be more for a detached or more bedrooms. New builds seem to attract the highest council tax IMO.

I pay £12.37 a month TV licence (I like everything monthly even if it means paying a bit more).

On a plus, I only pay £17.67 a month Buildings AND Contents insurance with Esure, but they do give you a no claims bonus so I paid more a few years ago.

Also, I try not to shop at Tesco as I find it expensive. Asda and Morrisons are better supermarkets for value I find. For 3 of you (even with a teenager) and eating meat £500 a month should be fine. I spend about 150-160 a week with 2 teenagers and a menagerie of animals and we eat very well and don't skimp. That includes all meals as we either eat lunch at home or take packed lunches/leftovers most days and includes toiletries,cleaning products etc. - oh and the odd 3 for £12 bottles of wine

You may need to add to the landline per month if you are including broadband but you could get a good deal on the mobiles for less than £22 dependant upon your usage.

All in all though you have done a good guesstimate.

Good luck!

Last edited by aries_bird; Jun 6th 2011 at 10:00 am. Reason: comment on water rates added
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:51 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aries_bird
It cost me £52 to fill up a 1.4 hatchback (petrol) at Tesco the other day. It does seem to have a big tank and it was very very VERY empty. Made it to the station on fumes I think. OH has a 2.0L 5 series (diesel) and it costs £90 to fill from fume level.

Not cheap.
it costs £90 to fill up my wifes renault laguna 1.8 petrol and £80 to fill my golf 1.8 .just a note to the op Imo try not to fill up in supermarkets in the UK the petrol is cheap and nasty Dont know if anyone else has had same probs but my little gti runs like a bag of s**t when i fill up with their petrol. on your cost of living question i take home approx £1800 pm , there is just my wife , me and our dog at home and we dont have anything left for entertaining or meals out , although i do live in Essex which is classed as fairly expensive hope this helps some
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Our broadband includes all calls (except international and 0845/0870) for £13/month. Rental is another £13 with BT. That's why I said about £25 for landline. Calling the US is about 5p/min, though we tend to let MIL call us as she does go on a bit

Last edited by Squirrel; Jun 6th 2011 at 10:11 pm. Reason: correction
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Our broadband includes all calls (except international and 0845/0870) for £13/month. Rental is another £13 with BT. That's why I said about £25 for landline. Calling the US is about 5p/min, though we tend to let MIL call us as she does go on a bit
I know what you mean - my Mum gets dirt cheap calls to Aus from the UK provided she stays on no longer than an hour - she nearly always gets to 59:59 on the phone counter!!

(Then she hangs up and calls me back )

Last edited by Basil Brush; Jun 7th 2011 at 8:09 am.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean - my Mum gets dirt cheap calls to Aus from the UK provided she stays on no longer than an hour - she nearly always gets to 59:59 on the phone counter!!

(Then she hangs up and calls me back )
Brilliant thread! Going back for good to UK in three/four months, back to Hove to our flat there after almost 3 years here in OZ.

It's good to get the cost details from folks here. I am going to start my own research soon.

I'll start with my old Sainsbury site, which I used a lot in Hove and which should have our usuals.
That should take care of the food which is a major component of any household bill.
I am going to ask my mate who is my neighbour in Hove for the council tax, water rate and her Sky rates. I know that her son is an avid Liverpool fan and gets all the skysports channel(good boy!) so I'll be doing the same!
We'll have to do without any gas guzzlers for a while what with the good bus service we have in B&H, transport shouldn't be an issue.

I am originally from London, and imo one of the cheapest areas in London (if any part of London can be called cheap!!) is Newham (East London).

However, it's not really everyone's cuppa tea as most places are rundown - well the last time I checked- but maybe things have changed what with the Olympics etc.

Try East Ham or Barking. Check online go to your move.co.uk for rent/by prices.

I am sorry that I didn't give any cost info but I hope you have now pointers on how to do the research yourself. Good luck!
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Rent / Mortgage £800.00
Food £500.00 Approx £100 p/w (family of four, plus dog and two cats to buy food for)
Council Tax £120.00
Gas / Electric £70.00 £95 per month, four bed detached house
Water £36.00 Nowhere near this amount, approx £120 every six months
Phone (Landline) £25.00 Line rental, calls package, broadband and digital tv package, £22 per month
Mobile - 1 £22.00 £15 per month, 500 call minutes and lots of texts (can't remember exactly how many!), plus internet (Blackberry phone)
Mobile - 2 £22.00
Ins - Contents £20.00
Car - Finance £200.00
Car - Servicing £50.00
TV Licence £15.00
Entertain/Dining Out £200.00 That would be eating out a lot! We tend to eat in kiddie friendly places i.e. Pizza Express, Prezzo, Cafe Rouge etc, but won't ever spend more than approx £25 for a meal for four of us.

TOTAL PER MTH £2,380.00

Don't know if it helps at all, but I've put our monthly outgoings in red above. I think you've overestimated somethings, which is good!

Some of the things I haven't given our outgoings for, as it's just not relevant i.e. our council tax - we're in Berkshire.

HTH.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:10 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to my brother last night, he has just come back from 4 weeks in the UK and was absolutely amazed how cheap things were. Everything seems to have gone through the roof here in the last 4 or 5 years which doesnt appear to have happened in the UK. The stuff we have checked on and compared certainly seems cheaper over there for sure. It was amusing to read earlier in the thread how Tesco is expensive and it's best to look at the others, when I was in England late last year I was so amazed by Tesco I didn't look anywhere else
I hate to imagine what the poster of that comment would make of our supermarket prices.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Our joint income is £45.5. We live in SE London (Crystal Palace). We are in a lot of debt so don't manage that well, but if we weren't in debt we would be fine. We have two extra mortgages and pay about £950 mortgage altogether per month. I spend £120/month on my travel card (goes up to £128 when I renew next month), this is deducted out of my salary (many employers do season ticket loans). DH gets the bus to work - he works one week (7 days)on and one week off, nights, so buys a weekly bus pass every other week at £18, he uses Oyster pay-as-you-go for any odd bus rides the week he isn't working.

We only have a one-bed flat. They are currently about £150K in our area. Our council tax is £100/month, gas/electric £70, water £36, phone (landline £25), my mobile £22, DH has pay-as-you-go mobile, £10 lasts him a year! We pay £40 ground rent, £12 contents insurance, £50 to the vets (we have an arrangement because we have small pets but for cat or dog you can get insurance for much less), food £400, the rest goes on personal loan/credit card/catalogue payments, without which we'd be much better off.

As a rought guide, after my season ticket loan is taken from my salary, I get £1561/month for a £29K salary (but I buy 10 days extra annual leave/year or it would be more, and I pay pension, charity conts and union). DH takes home £1160 on a £16.5K salary (no pension, just tax and NI).

HTH
You are in serious debt and you pay charity contributions? WTF?
Old Jun 10th 2011, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Okay, so I'll average it out at 70 quid a tank - so I'm saying roughly 300 quid per month for fuel.

Can somebody tell me what a TV licence currently costs per month?

Also any ideas if my 500 quid per month is a good estimate to feed a family of 2 Adults and 1 x 17 y/o (effectively 3 x Adults). We do tend to eat chicken or meat most nights (even when we have pasta we put chicken or meat into it, which one of my Aussie friends thinks is weird as she thinks we should just have pasta with sauce on it!!) I'm intending to do a fake shop on Tesco online at some point soon, but if anyone has any ideas that would be great

Rent / Mortgage £800.00
Food £500.00
Council Tax £120.00
Gas / Electric £70.00
Water £36.00
Phone (Landline) £25.00
Mobile - 1 £22.00
Mobile - 2 £22.00
Ins - Contents £20.00
Car - Finance £200.00
Car - Servicing £50.00
TV Licence £15.00
Entertain/Dining Out £200.00

TOTAL PER MTH £2,380.00

Don't forget you'll need to tax and insure the car.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by srefre
Don't forget you'll need to tax and insure the car.
Oooops....I certainly do....more money!!!

Thanks for the reminder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.