British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   it saddens me ..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/saddens-me-235090/)

Pants Jun 8th 2004 5:57 am

It saddens me....

You know I have to say this forum is getting more and more political each day and sadly more and more abusive towards one another...discussion is one thing !!

And I will say it even though I am bound to be called names etc..there are far too may people who use this forum just as an opportunity to slag off one anothers countries. I feel that the proper use of this "MOVING BACK TO UK" has got lost..

Please go use the OZ/NZ forum or the Canada/ USA forums if all you wish to do is argue about that.They are there for a reason the same as this one.

There seems to be very few people willing to post views in here nowadays in case they get bombarded by certain posters who just love to argue the toss no matter what.!!

So am I the only one who feels this?

I'm ducking now......eeekkkkk:)

I know this doesn't have to be just about moving back to the UK but when I look at the NZ/OZ forum they do have a bit of light heartedness going on sometimes...so come on all the funny ones out there..stop hiding behind the curtains and lets hear your voices..I'm crap at jokes but I do have some funny stories..I am saving those for when we all meet..bound to have some more by then !! and hopefully my sense of humour will come back once I hit the UK !!

sorry I hope I have not offended anyone..!!!:) :) :beer:

Pants Jun 8th 2004 6:30 am

derrrrrr I did the wrong heading....what a wally...bet anyone reading this is wondering what I am on !!eeekkkkkk..!!!!

sorry I am off to plonker planet !!!

I have asked JAJ to change the header...:rolleyes:

gedge Jun 8th 2004 6:41 am

You certainly had me confused. (Doesn't take much I know).
Think I know what you're on about though.
I used to enjoy reading some posts when people give a real perspective on where they are and where they're going.
There's less and less of that or so it seems. Lots of one sided arguments - it's crap there and great here.

This area of the forum seems worst.
It needs more balance, reason and thought IMHO.
And a bit of lightheartedness too.

dotty Jun 8th 2004 6:51 am

I hated the way the living in OZ forum went, its just a silly question board now, questions that can easily be answered by a quick search and most of them should be on the immigration board. Hardly anybody who actually lives in OZ bothers posting :eek: That I think is why all the trolls have to get their monies worth on this forum they dont offer any advice or useful bits just come in for an argument, simple other forum is too boring for words.

Cant say if I have a browse I find many funny posts in there, although one guy was looking forward to sitting outside having a nice cold beer in Melbourne in JULY :scared: had to laugh hope hes taking his thermal undies :D :D

Pants Jun 8th 2004 7:26 am

here we go then..change of subject. I watched Parkinson the other night with Jeremy Clarkson..what a funny bloke he is...I used to watch him on Top Gear but have never seen him interviewed...well he made me laugh and watching the show made me more homesick.....I saw Jack Dee on it the other day too..I miss the British Humour/Comedians..now I am looking forward to that when I get home..!! Good old belly laughs and tears streaming......!!excellent stuff.!!!

whisky Jun 8th 2004 5:05 pm

I know I shouldn't be in here as I am not returning to the other side, but I do like to take a look to see how those that have returned are getting on, especially the oldies of the other side.
To be honest, I also keep waiting for a post from Janeyray as i am not sure when she arrives back in the UK.

I saw this post yesterday from one of the other sites on here, and it made me laugh. It was posted by a Ray6.

Here goes

Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D. - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.
This is how it manifests itself.

I decide to wash my car.

As I start toward the garage, I notive that their is mail on th hall table. I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car. I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the trashcan under the table, and notice the trashcan is full. So I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the trash first.

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the trash anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my cheque book off the table, and see that there is oly one cheque left, my extra chequea are in my desk in the study, so I go to my desk where I find a can of coke that I had been drinking.

I'm going to look for my cheques, but first I need to push the coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the coke is getting warm, and decide that I should put it in the refridgerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the coke, the vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye - they need to be watered.

I set the coke down on the counter, and i discover my reading glasses that I have been searching for all morning.

I decide i had better put them back on my desk, but first I am going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses down on the counter, fill a container with water, and suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realise that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that its on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I splash some water on the flowers, but most of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then i head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: The car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there is a warm can of coke sitting on the counter, the flowers aren't watered, there is still only one chwque in the cheque book, I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses, and i don't remember what I did with the car keys.
Then when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long - and I am really tired.

I realise this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first i'll check my e-mail.

Do me a favour will you? Forward this message to everyone you know, because i don't remember to whom it has been sent.

Don't laugh - if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY

GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC.

:D :D

Whisky

callé Jun 8th 2004 6:01 pm

LOL whisky. that was funny. I think I was amused because it's typical of my normal day!

pants, I'm going to Oz, but I read this as well because part of me would like to be going back to UK. I haven't been back since I was a child and all my rellies say it's changed so and that I wouldnt want to come back. But yet my heart is still there so I read others thoughts on it to catch a glimpse of the England I love. I live in the US and really want to leave here so I started looking into other countries and next to UK , I think I will be happier in Oz. I also dont know why all the slagging. We should all be friendlier and more helpful to each other instead of competing about what's wrong with everything.

calle

Pants Jun 9th 2004 4:10 am

yep very true Calle....you know I think most of us either moving to Uk or to Oz or wherever should realise what gutsy people we are and not critize one another's choice of country ! I know many people who would never consider moving away from family etc !!

I hope you will be happy in OZ and I am sure I will be happier back home amongst loved ones.

Whisky..I met up with Janeyray on her way through Sydney. We had a good chat and lots of laughs. Lovely family.!

I reckon I have A.A.A.D.D...or is it just the fact that having kids kills the brain cells !!!:eek: :lecture: :)

HiddenPaw Jun 9th 2004 7:54 am

Hi PAnts
Yes it can get to be rather political at times.
I found this part of the site very supportive a few months ago and it helped to talk about things like "why Australia isn't right for us". Today, it seems that too many people are jumping on the back of our comments, challenging everything we have to say about why we are moving or what we think about the country we are leaving.

I don't really understand why people who aren't moving back to the UK come here and gives us crap. They probably don't understand the complexities and emotions associated with moving back, something I found more difficult than going overseas in the first place. But there seems to be a clan of people - certain Aussies, certain Brits in Australia who aren't going back to UK or certain Brits who haven't even been anywhere yet - who are intent on knocking back our every comment and viewpoint. (This is aside from genuine discussions about what different countries may offer over other countries.)

There are certain people who you can gurantee will jump on other people's posts, looking to pick an argument, etc.

Anyway, my thoughts....I will try and add humour to my next post!!

HP
p.s. cant stand Jeremy Clarkson!!

Pants Jun 9th 2004 10:29 am

Hi HP...

Jeremy Clarkson..poor bugger..no well have to say on Top Gear he never came across as funny and that other show he did were he did daredevil stuff was pretty pooh but the Parky Interview made me laugh..maybe thats it I have no sense of hunour and truly find total twats funny !!!..ekkkkkkkkkkhellpppppppppp

Im sorry I hope I haven't come across as " WHY NOTHING FUNNY TO SAY "..I know we all have pretty serious busy lives, decisions to make etc I was just trying to say exactly what you said HP about how so many people are ready to jump on the "lets slag you lot off bandwagon.!!! "

I also found the forum excellent a few months back ..to be able to share views, experiences etc about OZ good and bad, feelings about going back to the UK but sadly trolls exist and they don't want to hear the bad points as that is called whinging but you know people all around the world whinge..about whatever. WBB came on and called everyone on this forum a bunch of tossers but sadly when you stand up for the forum even in the OZ/NZ forum it all goes quiet..like you don't exist but can you imagine if now and again one of us posted a thread calling everyone in there the same..yep there would be bloody uproar but it seems that its ' acceptable " for it to happen in this forum...this is just my point of view ok.

I do feel that I have to be on my guard more than I used to..not that I am going to slag of OZ because for me I will miss it but I can see why so many dislike it...and it's not been all rosey by any stretch of the imagination but thats my PERSONAL experience but dare I say the things I have found hard no doubt someone will jump on that one thing and make a meal out of it....and then it just escalates.

Anyway I hope future returnees do benefit from this forum and don't get scared off by the likes of anyone who has no experience of a country except a holiday !!.!!

So HP what comedians do you like??did you miss the british humour when you were here??:D :D

angelica Jun 9th 2004 1:33 pm

Hi Pants, must admit it put me off posting a couple of weeks back & noticed fewer & fewer genuine 'moving backers' on this forum. Each to their own I suppose.

Ive not been on so much cos Ive settled back into the old routine & find it hard to believe Ive actually been away sometimes. I like being back & when certain things remind me of my short time in Oz it makes me feel so appreciative of my lifestyle here. Still no regrets whatsoever!

Anyway BRITISH HUMOUR! :D You reminded me of Christmas in Oz last year, friends of ours got Peter Kays Phoenix Nights dvd & we all sat round the telly. I realised later that it was the only time I roared with laughter (the kind that gives you belly ache!) all the time we had been there. He is so funny! Dont know if its just northern humour or if he appeals to everyone but he makes me laugh!:D

heading downunder 2002 Jun 9th 2004 3:24 pm

I totally agree, I don't know what is happening to this site but it drives me mad. I first registered in Sept 2001, coming up to 3 years, so I have been around this site for a long time, I have always found it very helpful and like to see what people are up to, I have no interest what so ever in people abusing others, especially when they have no concept of what that person is feeling or experiencing. There was never any abuse of other posters and I think that it is getting out of hand.

So come on folks less of abusing each other and more support and information, it is so helpful to people, after all you are waisting your time with all that typing as I for one tend to scroll right on past the abusive posts.

As for Peter Kay, he is so funny, the British sense of humour was one big things we missed in Oz.

Be happy everyone, life is really too short to have regrets

Susan:D

whisky Jun 9th 2004 5:01 pm

Originally posted by Pants
yep very true Calle....you know I think most of us either moving to Uk or to Oz or wherever should realise what gutsy people we are and not critize one another's choice of country ! I know many people who would never consider moving away from family etc !!

I hope you will be happy in OZ and I am sure I will be happier back home amongst loved ones.

Whisky..I met up with Janeyray on her way through Sydney. We had a good chat and lots of laughs. Lovely family.!

I reckon I have A.A.A.D.D...or is it just the fact that having kids kills the brain cells !!!:eek: :lecture: :)
Pants, pleased to hear that you had met up with Janeyray.
She came to my restaurant in the Summer.
I do hope all turns out well for her, she has seemed so unhappy here of recent times after being so positive when she first arrived. It must be very difficult when you are so unhappy and waiting for the time to move back to where you want to be.
If you are in touch with her before any posts, please give her my regards. Infact, that goes for all of you.

Whisky

Pants Jun 9th 2004 9:58 pm

Originally posted by whisky
Pants, pleased to hear that you had met up with Janeyray.
She came to my restaurant in the Summer.
I do hope all turns out well for her, she has seemed so unhappy here of recent times after being so positive when she first arrived. It must be very difficult when you are so unhappy and waiting for the time to move back to where you want to be.
If you are in touch with her before any posts, please give her my regards. Infact, that goes for all of you.

Whisky

Thanks Whisky will do.......:) :)

Essex Girl Jun 10th 2004 10:10 am

Originally posted by whisky
I know I shouldn't be in here as I am not returning to the other side, but I do like to take a look to see how those that have returned are getting on, especially the oldies of the other side.
To be honest, I also keep waiting for a post from Janeyray as i am not sure when she arrives back in the UK.

I saw this post yesterday from one of the other sites on here, and it made me laugh. It was posted by a Ray6.

Here goes

Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D. - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.
This is how it manifests itself.

I decide to wash my car.

As I start toward the garage, I notive that their is mail on th hall table. I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car. I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the trashcan under the table, and notice the trashcan is full. So I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the trash first.

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the trash anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my cheque book off the table, and see that there is oly one cheque left, my extra chequea are in my desk in the study, so I go to my desk where I find a can of coke that I had been drinking.

I'm going to look for my cheques, but first I need to push the coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the coke is getting warm, and decide that I should put it in the refridgerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the coke, the vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye - they need to be watered.

I set the coke down on the counter, and i discover my reading glasses that I have been searching for all morning.

I decide i had better put them back on my desk, but first I am going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses down on the counter, fill a container with water, and suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realise that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that its on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I splash some water on the flowers, but most of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then i head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: The car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there is a warm can of coke sitting on the counter, the flowers aren't watered, there is still only one chwque in the cheque book, I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses, and i don't remember what I did with the car keys.
Then when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long - and I am really tired.

I realise this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first i'll check my e-mail.

Do me a favour will you? Forward this message to everyone you know, because i don't remember to whom it has been sent.

Don't laugh - if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY

GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC.

:D :D

Whisky

That is just so funny - tell me how long have you been in the Peel Region and what is it like there - I am thinking of coming out that way when I arrive in WA

What are the schools like - I have 2 kids.

Hubbies an electrician do you think he would be able to get a job

Any hints and tips would help - also how much are 4 bed houses.