Wikiposts

Ryanair

Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ryanair

My wife and I live in California but coming home to Scotland on vacation next month.
During that time we'll be taking a break in Paris. I've already bought the tickets for Paris on Ryanair but after reading all the gotcha horror stories I wanted to check a few things.
Here's what I think I need to be most aware of.

1. Print boarding passes before I go to the airport.
2. Make sure cabin baggage is within guidelines.
3. At the airport go to their visa check desk for a stamp, before going through security, since we'll have non EU passports.

Could anyone with knowledge/experience comment on this please?
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:01 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair

http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-trav...eat-sheet-tips

My cheat sheet for avoiding Ryanair's gotchas

Rule #1
Don’t fall for the priority boarding and seating gambit (5–10 euros to board first or get a reserved seat); most of the Ryanair customers I spoke to said it’s a waste of money. You’ll always get a seat and it’s a short flight anyway.

Rule #2
You must check in online and print out your boarding pass. Don’t think you can wait to check in at the airport, you’ll incur yet another fee—60 euros!

Rule #3
Follow the bag rule. Ryanair is serious when it says its one-free-carry-on rule includes everything you’re lugging: Purse, laptop, duty free all must fit in one bag, that must meet the airline's specs (ten kilos and 21.6 X 15.7 X 7.8 inches) Most carriers let you take an additional purse or laptop bag. Not so on Ryanair—you’ll pay up to 40 euros to check a first bag. Or, if you do want to check bags, make sure they’re under 20 kilos or you’ll have to pay overweight fees.

Rule #4
If you’re holding an American passport or indeed anything other than an EU passport, you need to first present your credentials to a Ryanair agent and get your boarding pass stamped. If you don’t, you could be denied boarding at the gate, and end up paying 30 to 60 euros in change fees, plus the difference in fare.

Rule #5
Check your boarding pass for spelling; a mistake in your name can incur charges.

Rule #6
Be polite. Ryanair’s notorious for having rude service staff (although I didn’t experience that on my flight). But if you get called out on anything, just smile and comply—it won’t do any good to argue.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:51 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
My wife and I live in California but coming home to Scotland on vacation next month.
During that time we'll be taking a break in Paris. I've already bought the tickets for Paris on Ryanair but after reading all the gotcha horror stories I wanted to check a few things.

3. At the airport go to their visa check desk for a stamp, before going through security, since we'll have non EU passports.

Did Dublin to Bristol & back last week, with similar trepidation. I had measured my carryon and was nervous as it was close to the size limit (was well within the weight limit). I tried it in one of their measuring frames at an empty gate and it fit easily.

You can check in/print boarding pass up to 2 weeks ahead, which relieved my concern as I departed from US over 24 hours prior. Anyway, at Dublin, there was internet access/printer for a fee. I spotted a Dad watching his 10 year old print them for the family. Probably cost a few quid though. Actually, my home printer failed me, I ended up putting a pdf on a thumb drive and my local Staples printed it for 11 cents!

I did not have to do the visa check - UK passport, & no checked luggage. I did however get refused entry to the security area as i was too early, but that was probably airport rules, not airline. They let me in 3 hours ahead, but not 5.

As soon as the gate was called there was a mad dash to be first in line, I assume as nobody books seats (the line then did not move for 20 mins, in fact the plane was not even there). I found myself at the back of the line, the cabin crew simply opened another row of "reserved" seats as they filled up.

It was much more "normal" than I expected, and for $20 each way, and an hour flight, nothing to complain about.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot

We've used Ryan Air a few times, with no problems at all. No special visa stamps or checks (Australian passports), flights on time and friendly cabin crew. The only thing out of the ordinary was one flight departing Liverpool, the flight attendant said something about weight distribution and called for 10 volunteers to move from the front of the aircraft to the back, otherwise we couldn't take off! Gave everyone a good laugh. We always pay for priority boarding and have been happy with it, well worth the bit extra.