Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rural(ish) affordable lifestyle commuting distance to London...any ideas?

Wikiposts

Rural(ish) affordable lifestyle commuting distance to London...any ideas?

Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice
Default Re: Rural(ish) affordable lifestyle commuting distance to London...any ideas?

This is a great site for looking at the price of flats and house all over the UK for rent or for sale.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rural(ish) affordable lifestyle commuting distance to London...any ideas?

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
We've just moved back to the UK from Canada, and have rented a house in an Oxfordshire Village on the edge of the Cotswolds. It's very quite and crime free. You can rent a nice big house for the price of a 2 bedroom flat over a kebab shop in North London.

Despite being a village I am a minute's walk away from the bank, post office, mini supermarket, newsagent etc and have a big Sainbury's and Waitrose a 10minute drive away.

You would however, need to be a little creative with your London Commute. Your options would be to drive to Uxbridge on the A40, park your car there and take the Picadilly line into Central London. Or take the bus into Oxford, then the Oxford Tube bus into London. Maybe it is pushing it a bit, doing this everyday, I will only be doing it every week or so.

Still worth looking at I think
sorry to hijack your post...
Jonfrank, We are in Canada and moving back to UK...
so how did you find such a lovely place to live in?? we are researching areas but all seems to be going around in circles..
our timeline mid aug/09, 3kids/schools. any advice?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:31 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ispoki
You could always try Hitchin, about 30mins commute to London even quicker as there are some direct runs. Also Hitchin is the last stop station to get to Peterborough or Cambridge as Hitchin is where the line splits to Letchworth or Baldock iirc (could be wrong) so is a good hub for commuters. I lived there for a fair few years and found it a nice place, not sure what the renting market is like though.
I would also suggest Flitwick, Biggleswade, Royston off the top of my head, all direct links into London. But wether the commute would counter the living/travel expenses I don't know.