British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Runcorn anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/runcorn-anyone-802732/)

fulwood Jul 13th 2013 3:15 am

Runcorn anyone?

Well I will be honest and say I know nothing about Runcorn and would generalize and say don't think much of it. Does anyone know anything about the place or ever lived there? Reason - job possibility but not sure it is one I want as would time me down alot. No major decisions being made until I am back in UK.

Jerseygirl Jul 13th 2013 3:26 am

Re: Runcorn anyone?

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10797787)
Well I will be honest and say I know nothing about Runcorn and would generalize and say don't think much of it. Does anyone know anything about the place or ever lived there? Reason - job possibility but not sure it is one I want as would time me down alot. No major decisions being made until I am back in UK.

My husband was born and bred in old town Runcorn...his extended family still live there. What exactly do you want to know?

fulwood Jul 13th 2013 5:27 am

Just what is it like, city, any historical features, housing, just as a place to live. is it near countryside?

AlexInBC Jul 13th 2013 5:28 am

Download a few episodes of "Two Pints of Lager" ;)

Jerseygirl Jul 13th 2013 11:27 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10797868)
Just what is it like, city, any historical features, housing, just as a place to live. is it near countryside?

Let me put it like this...Runcorn has seen better days...much better days. A few miles south will take you to Frodsham and surrounding villages and countryside. To the west of Frodsham is Chester...to the east Northwich, Knutsford. Very nice towns and beautiful countryside but property will be more expensive than Runcorn.

holly_1948 Jul 13th 2013 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10797787)

Good general area to live if you plan to drive to work, I would not consider it otherwise. You will want to live South of the Mersey though to avoid rush hour jams on the bridge.
Nearby Wirral was voted the fourth best place in UK to raise a family and is relatively inexpensive as Britain goes.

ElizabethK Jul 13th 2013 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 10798459)
Nearby Wirral was voted the fourth best place in UK to raise a family and is relatively inexpensive as Britain goes.

OOOh I didn't know that :) It's where I'm from and heading back to next Saturday

ElizabethK Jul 13th 2013 9:57 pm

I have passed through Runcorn but don't really know a lot about it, but as Jerseygirl said, the surrounding areas are very nice and some of them verrrry expensive and exclusive to live in.

Tockalosh Jul 14th 2013 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10798174)
Let me put it like this...Runcorn has seen better days...much better days. A few miles south will take you to Frodsham and surrounding villages and countryside. To the west of Frodsham is Chester...to the east Northwich, Knutsford. Very nice towns and beautiful countryside but property will be more expensive than Runcorn.

Exceptionally good call. Runcorn is grim and the places mentioned are very nice perhaps Northwich the lesser so to be honest. One of the most toxic ex ICI sites in the world is a stones throw from Runcorn

fulwood Jul 14th 2013 4:45 pm

Yep this job opportunity would pay exceedingly well and would be the guardian of currently 18 year old girl who was abused by her mother at young age. Think shook her or threw her on the floor. She has a trust which is well funded and the person who has been caring for her is getting older and wanting to look to the future for this child. She is not expected to live beyond 30 but we all know how that goes when doctors tell us how long we have to live. The person who takes care of her has brother in US who I am friends with. He mentioned me to family and they want me to visit next year and see if I want to do it. I have lots of concerns and questions but living in Runcorn is likely the deal breaker.. We shall see..

Jerseygirl Jul 14th 2013 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10799803)
Yep this job opportunity would pay exceedingly well and would be the guardian of currently 18 year old girl who was abused by her mother at young age. Think shook her or threw her on the floor. She has a trust which is well funded and the person who has been caring for her is getting older and wanting to look to the future for this child. She is not expected to live beyond 30 but we all know how that goes when doctors tell us how long we have to live. The person who takes care of her has brother in US who I am friends with. He mentioned me to family and they want me to visit next year and see if I want to do it. I have lots of concerns and questions but living in Runcorn is likely the deal breaker.. We shall see..

Runcorn is a post industrial town. It is made up of the new town and the old town. The old town centre is run down...my husband's family have lived in the old town for generations. The new town...built in the 70's to accommodate the overspill from Liverpool. Would I live there...no. Would my husband go back to live there...certainly not...his words not mine.

Liverpool is about 20 miles away...has recently seen a rise in popularity. According to my husband it also has the greatest football team in the world. :D Widnes and Warrington are Runcorn's neighbouring towns...both have been transformed in the last 20 to 30 years. A 30 minute drive and you're in Delamere Forest...surrounded by lovely countryside, pubs, villages etc. A 10 minute drive and you're in Frodsham...a lovely market town. 30 mins from Manchester Airport...Liverpool airport is even closer.

If you PM me the road name I will be able to give you more details.

fulwood Jul 14th 2013 7:11 pm

Jerseygirl let me ask my friend's husband for address.. Thanks for all your input..

yozzernz Jul 15th 2013 12:38 pm

It's lovely, try looking at places like Palacefields and Windmill Hill.......

Jerseygirl Jul 15th 2013 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by yozzernz (Post 10800880)
It's lovely, try looking at places like Palacefields and Windmill Hill.......

:eek:

yozzernz Jul 15th 2013 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10800884)
:eek:

:thumbsup: Yeah I'm kiddin', some nearby places like Frodsham and Old Runcorn are lovely though as others have said