Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rules for Aussie spouse employment in UK?

Wikiposts

Rules for Aussie spouse employment in UK?

Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:08 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rules for Aussie spouse employment in UK?

Can anyone please tell me the required proceedure for an Australian spouse to obtain the right to work on returning to the UK with a British citizen?

I expect this may have been covered somewhere before... so apologies for any repeat.

All advice appreciated.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:52 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rules for Aussie spouse employment in UK?

" on returning " means what do you have ILR. Need to be a bit clearer what this means
If you have never settled in the UK then you need to apply for a settlement visa and when granted you can work immediately
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:27 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

This would be our situation.

I am a UK Citizen, but my Aussie husband has never lived in UK but is more "employable" than me to meet the new financial requirements of us moving back.

Would we simply arrive in the UK and then husband would apply for a settlement visa to enable him to look for and take work?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
This would be our situation.

I am a UK Citizen, but my Aussie husband has never lived in UK but is more "employable" than me to meet the new financial requirements of us moving back.

Would we simply arrive in the UK and then husband would apply for a settlement visa to enable him to look for and take work?
Absolutely not. He needs a spouse visa before arriving in the United Kingdom. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

And it would be advisable to apply now, if interested - as rules are changing on July 9th.
Make sure you have resolved your own Australian permanent residence/citizenship status before leaving Australia, in case you wish to return.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:57 pm
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by JAJ
Absolutely not. He needs a spouse visa before arriving in the United Kingdom. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

And it would be advisable to apply now, if interested - as rules are changing on July 9th.
Make sure you have resolved your own Australian permanent residence/citizenship status before leaving Australia, in case you wish to return.
My residency/citizenship is long sorted in Australia, thanks anyway.

Our plans for the UK have been for around the start of 2014. Could my husband apply for a spouse visa that far in advance? I'm assuming probably not but will check out your link, thank-you.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Its the discussion around the fact the rules are changing which is prompting the questions

Main problem seems to be that it looks like to get a Spouse Visa in future the couple have to have a reasonable income. For many couples the non-UK Spouse is the one capable of earning that figure - but they can't show the income cos they can't get a job cos they can't get a visa - cos they don't have the income.
One big vicious circle.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:02 pm
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its the discussion around the fact the rules are changing which is prompting the questions

Main problem seems to be that it looks like to get a Spouse Visa in future the couple have to have a reasonable income. For many couples the non-UK Spouse is the one capable of earning that figure - but they can't show the income cos they can't get a job cos they can't get a visa - cos they don't have the income.
One big vicious circle.
Yes Polly, that's exactly right. It's terrible.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

You've been both married & living outside the UK for more than 4 years haven't you? If so, your husband could apply for a visa now with the request of KOL Req to be endorsed and then spend some time in the UK and take the Life in the UK test.

For that test you have to now prove the UK postcode with a document such as a bank statement. Once the test is passed then ILR can be applied for immediately with that visa endorsement (ILR currently costs £991 by post, or £1,377 in person (but likely to get ILR on that day if approved)).

With ILR it is currently possible to be outside the UK for no more than 2 years and still return with that status - however the risk you run is your husband won't have spent much time in the UK, and the border official on return may question whether or not he was actually "settled" (term settled means you are normally resident in the UK with no immigration restriction on the length of stay (i.e. ILR)).

You may want to talk to an OISC registered immigration solicitor about this though, as it could be a costly failure! I wouldn't suggest you try this without advice, as I'm not convinced it would work!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

To add to roaringmouse comments re being away for more than 2 years. They don't know when you left, passports are only registered when you arrive so the border guard has no idea how long you have been away ...
Old Jun 15th 2012, 7:21 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
To add to roaringmouse comments re being away for more than 2 years. They don't know when you left, passports are only registered when you arrive so the border guard has no idea how long you have been away ...
I think you will find this is not entirely true now with data supplied by the airline.
Are you suggesting being in breach of the conditions of a visa?? not a good idea