Wikiposts

Router Help

Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Router Help

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I never use the laptop anywhere else so I'm all for giving it a go. Now then, where do I start
I am not sure what you want to do but if you just want to connect to the internet through another router, just drive around your neighborhood and bring up the "connect to network" screen and look for an "unsecured network". If you find one, connect to that network and you'll be on the internet. Many people forget to secure their network so you should be able to easily find one.

The information given by the last couple of posts are confusing. All routers assign dynamic IP addresses to the devices when communicating via wi-fi which are internal to the router. The IP address assigned to the router for communications across the internet is usually dynamic (can possibly be changed every so often by the internet service provider if you power down you computer) but will be static (always the same) if you pay enough money and use your computer as a server that anyone can get to. A dynamic or static IP address assigned to your router by the internet service provider doesn't make any difference when used for normal pc communications across the internet and it is always the same address unless you power down your computer.

Dynamic addresses assigned by a router for internal use to a device (eg. your laptop) are usually 192.168.x.x and the dynamic address assigned to your router by the internet service provider is one address from many thousands assigned to that internet service provider. The reason that most routers use internal IP addresses of 192.168.x.x is that those addresses will never be assigned to someone on the internet.

This is how everything works. The router assigns an internal IP address to the device. The device transmits via Wi-Fi to the router on that address. The information received by the router is reformatted for the internet and the packet is transmitted to the internet using the IP address assigned by the internet service provider. When the web site receives that IP address, it will respond with data (likely a screen shot) using that IP address which routes it back to the internet service provider which knows which user is using that IP address and transmits that packet to the correct router. Your router then receives that packet and reformats it for WI-FI and puts the correct internal address and transmits it and it gets to the correct device since that device is waiting for a response using the assigned IP address.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 26th 2013 at 2:25 pm.