Router Help

Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:00 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Router Help

Originally Posted by Michael
You will have to register your new MAC address of your modem with TWC. The following is how it is done.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12117486_reg...me-warner.html
This is probably what is happening.

Just to be clear, the modem is the device that plugs into the cable coming from the wall. Some modems also have a router / wifi functionality built into them. If the back of the device attached to the wall has a number of 'ports'--i.e. places where you can plug in 1-2-3-4-5 ethernet plugs (think giant USA telephone plug) than your device is probably a modem / router. If there is just one plug out the back, you probably have a simple modem.

Many ISPs have a system like this in which only 1 device (i.e. one MAC address) can be 'attached' to the modem on their system. This can be extremely annoying when you have two computers, or when you replace a machine and the new computers MAC address doesn't match what is on file.

The easiest way around this is to attach a true wifi / router device to the modem so that the MAC address of the router is the one identified with your ISP, and on your end you can have upto 200+ devices attached to your network. Walmart will have several options and you can probably pay around $35-$70 for a decent one.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Thought i'd replied to this this morning.

I thought it'd be better to have a combined unit, doing the job instead of two. If thats not that case then i'll probably go with the Netgear modem and a wireless router to go with it.

Thanks for your help one and all
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Thought i'd replied to this this morning.

I thought it'd be better to have a combined unit, doing the job instead of two. If thats not that case then i'll probably go with the Netgear modem and a wireless router to go with it.

Thanks for your help one and all
Personally I'd buy them locally just in case there is a problem making them work and it will be easier to return. Although NETGEAR is probably the biggest sellers of routers, I had a problem several years ago when I upgraded to a NETGEAR n type router (I couldn't get to the BE site). It appeared that the NETGEAR router was creating packets that wouldn't pass through certain manufacturer's routers on the internet since my old router worked and any router in my complex that wasn't password protected also worked. I tried to work out the problem with NETGEAR and even pointed out the internet router that I was having problem with but they were not interested (typical for first line support) so I exchanged it for a Linksys router.

Also about a year ago, Comcast started supporting Ipv6 and a specific NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 modem quit working. Eventually after several months, the problem was resolved (I'm not sure if it was a Comcast or NETGEAR problem).

I think NETGEAR produces good products but there are so many variations with the way manufacturers create or pass packets that there is always a potential for problems. Some follow specifications exactly while others tolerate inconsistencies in packet formation.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 25th 2013 at 5:22 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Sky and Plusnet (I think) always supplied Netgear routers when I was in England and I always found them good enough and easy to install and mess around with so I'll stick to what I know
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Sky and Plusnet (I think) always supplied Netgear routers when I was in England and I always found them good enough and easy to install and mess around with so I'll stick to what I know
The new NETGEAR routers are extremely easy to setup (easier than the Linksys routers) and are usually reliable but there is always a possibility of problems.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For Modem, I've had the Motorola Surf jobbies, they do the job, but a fair few have died on me.

Routers, Netgear has been solid for me, some regular firmware updates when N first came about and it's been pretty solid since then. Has a power button on it too, which is nice as you don't have to pull the pull to reset it if you need to.

Linksys, really rock solid too, haven't had issues with those that I've used.

D-Link, bit hit or miss, had a few fail in the past but when it works, it's pretty decent and easy to set up.

Not used Buffalo, but a lot of friends like it, decent to mod and set up.

Belkin has been consistently shit though, every bloody time.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Linksys, really rock solid too, haven't had issues with those that I've used.
Belkin has been consistently shit though, every bloody time.
You know that Cisco are selling Linksys to Belkin?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You know that Cisco are selling Linksys to Belkin?
I'd read something about it, but didn't know if it was going ahead or not.

Bad news that
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd buy a cable modem over renting it. In the long run it works out cheaper. The Motarola's seem to be very good. Just check first with TWC to see if it's on their approved list.

I had a TWC supplied SB4100 in 2004. It lasted 6 years until one too many lightning strikes took it out. Replaced by TWC with a 5100. When I moved here to FL almost 2yrs ago, I decided to buy an SB6120 and that's been running ever since. Saves $7 or so on the monthly rental.

For routers, I've had a few. Most seem to work for a while then pack up. Currently using a D-Link, bought for $30 in 2010.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

At the time we signed up to TWC we assumed we'd have sold our house by the time that renting a router would stop making sense financially. About a year later we're still there and now its not making as much sense.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:27 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

For routers, see what The Wirecutter has to say here:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...-asus-rt-n66u/

And click on the "top 5 wireless routers" link in the article to go to CNet reviews of routers.

Regards, JEff
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Your problem sounds like a dynamic IP problem which will happen again even if you buy a new router and modem. The problem is that because you have a lot of devices they can often come into conflict with each other by using the same IP address with the wireless router. The problem can be fixed by forcing each of your laptops to a static IP.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:11 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bootle
Your problem sounds like a dynamic IP problem which will happen again even if you buy a new router and modem. The problem is that because you have a lot of devices they can often come into conflict with each other by using the same IP address with the wireless router. The problem can be fixed by forcing each of your laptops to a static IP.
This is a good suggestion. Before the OP runs out and buys new gear, this sort of troubleshooting should be tried first. There may not be anything wrong with either the modem or the router.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bootle
Either that, or to get the DNS server on the router to flush the numbers quicker.

Static IP per device would be better, but not quite so good if you went out and about with it and then using free wifi at various places.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

I never use the laptop anywhere else so I'm all for giving it a go. Now then, where do I start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.