Rose Tinted Spectacles...

Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:56 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rose Tinted Spectacles...

Well, I'm sorry I haven't been enjoying the boards like I used too. It's all been a bit mad since arriving in the UK. For anybody who gives half a toss, I thought I'd give a quick update on thoughts, feelings etc. about living in the US, considering that I was renowned for my rose tinted specs before I arrived!

It's been about six weeks since we landed and things have gone SLOW. I mean, I thought everything in America was WHAM, BAM and THANK YOU MA'AM, but it actually seems just as slow and difficult to get things done here in the US as it was in Europe.

About a day after I arrived, I had an interview with Sirius Radio... I had my SECOND interview yesterday - more than a month later. And even though they'd whittled it down to two candidates (of which I was one, obviously) it's still expected that there'll be two more interviews before they decide.

Totally not what I'd expected. I thought it was a case of walking through the door and being told 'start on Monday.'

But it's an amazing job, so hopefully it's worth the wait.

In the mean time, I've been working in pharmaceuticals and MAN is that a head trip. The whole medical insurance / pharma / doctor thing is pretty crazy. But it's nice to get a paycheque and the guys I work with are nice. The girls get me to read their steamy romance novels out loud during the lunch break because of my accent.

I have bought a car! My wife wanted a sensible Camry or something, but I thought: Bugger that. I didn't move to the USA to drive some Jap piece of crap. So we bought a 21 yr old Lincoln instead, that's literally wider than our house in the UK.

The crazy thing is that it does the same MPG as the 'economic' american car we've been driving. What is up with that? The TV adverts promote cars with great gas mileage and they're boasting about 28mpg. That's not good! My Renault in the UK did 50mpg!!!!

My wife's beloved cat got run over, which was horrible. That kind of ruined the mood for her. She still misses the UK.

But it's early days. I'm still in the running for this great job. We have an income. All good really.

Right now I'm typing this with a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale because that's the only decent beer the local liquor store sells. And the wife is cooking pork chops.

Cheers!

Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:04 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rose Tinted Spectacles...

Welcome to reality, Roland! Some good, some bad and some in the middle!

And welcome back!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about you about an hour ago. Think of the devil and he's bound to appear.

You can't say we didn't try to warn you Roland.

Good luck with Sirius...I'll keep everything crossed for you.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

miss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to behold

aawww.....sorry to hear about your wifes cat. Good luck with the job, hope you get it!. Ive only been here permanently for less than a year and I am still 'settling' in.

Do you put on a sexy accent when you read the romance novels?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl
aawww.....sorry to hear about your wifes cat. Good luck with the job, hope you get it!. Ive only been here permanently for less than a year and I am still 'settling' in.

I've only been here for 11 years and I'm still settling in.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:10 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see you back on BE Roland!
Sorry to hear about your wife's cat though........
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:14 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly I do! Think of that weather announcer Fran had a crush on in Black Books!

Actually I have to speak kind of slowly so people understand me. I'm calling all over the US. So far I've decided all people from Georgia are nice and polite. The southern states are really nice. Long Island people are just as ratty as they always were. But they all got flooded yesterday so, hey, karma.

Hello Jersey Girl! I guess we're kind of neighbours now!

I have to admit my eyes have been widened a lot. The thing that's really hit me is the beaurocracy. America's not meant to be beaurocratic, but once you deal with Federal, State and Town laws, rules, taxes, regulations etc. it makes 'red tape' France look like a breeze.

I took my driving test. I love the way the New Jersey Driver's Handbook states: "Regarding traffic circles (roundabouts) there are NO set rules."

Yay! Traffic anarchy!

The cat thing really upset both of us. She had the cat as a kitten and it stayed with the MIL while wifey lived with me in the UK. She was SO happy to be reunited with the pussy and three weeks later... Whomp.

So sad. She was in floods of tears.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back, you w@nker!

Sorry to hear about the cat -- always distressing to lose a pet.

Your new observations are...........what we told you all along! But I'm sure we're happy to hear them!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hiya, good to hear your update and nope nothing surprises me in your post except to say how sorry i am to hear about your wife's cat...aww shame....hope all goes well with the job
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

miss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've only been here for 11 years and I'm still settling in.
Tellin ya IF I make it to being here 11+ years Ill still be settling in then too
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Tellin ya IF I make it to being here 11+ years Ill still be settling in then too
omg 11 yrs... pleezzee nooooo
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:43 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Was it a ginger cat?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mallory
Was it a ginger cat?
a cat that's ginger.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:40 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

How sad about the cat...but fingers crossed for the job...unless you go for a job in K-Mart...it can take forever to go through all the interviews...
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:02 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Well, I'm sorry I haven't been enjoying the boards like I used too............
Well, thanks for checking in again!

So sorry to hear about your wife's cat. That must be really tough, especially coming so soon after the big move.

BTW, what does your missus miss about the UK? Any likelihood of her posting here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.