Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Originally Posted by johull
Northern Bird, surprised at you - no - I really am. The title of this thread says it all. In my case, no matter how many people told me things had changed, I ignored them and found they were right. It probably wouldn't have stopped me coming home, but at least I was prepared.

I am simply stating what happened in our case and with our sons - as in the original post, our first trip to the swimming baths and my son was attacked in the changing room. This was not a one off incident and the leisure centre has had to take measures to tackle this problem. Scary thing is the 'gang' are about 13 years old.

I rush to look on BE while I am on lunch or have a quiet moment, I dont always check my grammar and spelling (sadly) I think people can get the gyst of what I am saying, I think its quite sad to start name calling and being over picky. This has just been my experience of working in Bradford and the problems we have here on a day to day basis.

I certainly arent stupid.
I was actually taking the piss out of maka paka!! He said it was your spelling and then your vocab when in fact it was neither. I don't care how people type and haven't ever pulled anyone up on bad spelling or grammar because this is an informal forum not an bloody English lesson.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I thought they had fines here in Aus for the same thing? If you didn't recycle. I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've heard this before in Qld.
The Bloke regularly has a go at me, telling me I will get fined for the bit of cardboard I've put in the wrong bin. Never seen any real evidence of it though...I suspect urban myth spread by Qlders who are scared of Nanny State.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
I was actually taking the piss out of maka paka!! He said it was your spelling and then your vocab when in fact it was neither. I don't care how people type and haven't ever pulled anyone up on bad spelling or grammar because this is an informal forum not an bloody English lesson.

Whoops - so sorry!!! I have read alot of your posts and you seem very normal!!!! I thought you were joining in with Paka Maka!! I hate it when people start giving sly digs - it sort of defeats the object.

I think the idea of the post was to ask people who have returned if they regret it or if its lived up to its expectations - I know quite a few people who have returned, realised they regret it and gone back, some have then returned to UK or wherever else they are from. One lady I know who returned to Reading is heading back to the Gold Coast in September - I have my fingers crossed for her, and hope she settles this time - I will also be emailing her to see if the rose tinted specs work both ways!!!!! That is my fear - I dont ever want to feel as homesick and unhappy as I did last time, just feel more prepared this time!

Sorry for being defensive, just hate smart alecs like paka whatever !
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I have read most of this thread and some people are taking their own personal experience and the generalising it for a whole nation. I ask you, what country hasn't changed in the last 10 years? The US was a more innocent place in 1992 when I arrived and so was the UK, when I left. The UK, in my experience, has changed a lot since I left and I think it's changed for the better. Coffee shops, plenty of decent restaurants, good infrastructure, lots to do, yet still has that English feel about it. It's Great!
In Baltimore, USA, where I live, they are still trying to decide whether public transport is a good idea or not (they have some mass transit, but it's shite). We have a terrible crime, 5 people were shot in one night the other day! Poverty is considered to be your own fault and you should just pull yourself up and get a job. People don't go anywhere except to Ocean City for a week in the summer. I ask my friends why they don't go to Mexico or California and they answer, 'why should I? Just to sit on a beach there'. There's no sense of adventure or exploration (I am getting off track, and I am generalising, but if you contrast that with the mentality of the UK, you can see how frustrating it is). In the US they are still trying to work out whether gay people exist or not and whether they should have rights like everyone else.
I have rambled a bit, but my point is that there are issues everywhere you go. You have to decide whether the good points outweigh the bad ones. Personally, I am getting tired of going round and round and round with these debates that go nowhere. If you want to stay in the UK, stay. If you want to leave, leave. I know where I am heading and I know where I will stay and, if you've read my post, I think you can guess where that will be.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:58 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops - so sorry!!! I have read alot of your posts and you seem very normal!!!! I thought you were joining in with Paka Maka!! I hate it when people start giving sly digs - it sort of defeats the object.

I think the idea of the post was to ask people who have returned if they regret it or if its lived up to its expectations - I know quite a few people who have returned, realised they regret it and gone back, some have then returned to UK or wherever else they are from. One lady I know who returned to Reading is heading back to the Gold Coast in September - I have my fingers crossed for her, and hope she settles this time - I will also be emailing her to see if the rose tinted specs work both ways!!!!! That is my fear - I dont ever want to feel as homesick and unhappy as I did last time, just feel more prepared this time!

Well I am not sure I have ever been called normal, particularly down these parts so thanks for the compliment.

Will reply to your PM later xx
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think you will find it was actually her grammar that wasn't great
Arn't I the Doofus now.......DOH!!!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Johull,
Sorry for being a smart Alec.

I hope you can accept my apology and we will move on.