Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Roll Call: Who is definitley moving back to UK in 2004

Roll Call: Who is definitley moving back to UK in 2004

Old Feb 7th 2004, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

hi every one
we are returing on 3rd april carnt wait we have five children all are very home sick the two eldest girls carnt get jobs and dont have a social life any more perth is a loverly place but it is not for my self or my kids
good luck to those returning to uk we are going back to good old birkenhead

Rowena Chris's wife

Last edited by chris hogan; Feb 7th 2004 at 6:26 am.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Redlichtie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope to be back in North East Scotland by May 2004. We're building a house in Mandurah and it's taking forever. We're hoping the house will be finished by the end of March and it'll sell quickly - fingers crossed.....!!!
Old Feb 7th 2004, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Klara is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

We are coming back in May. We have been living in Florida for the last 3 years and are planning to settle in London. Finally back to civilisation!

Klara

Last edited by Klara; Feb 7th 2004 at 1:59 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Klara
Hi everyone,

We are coming back in May. We have been living in Florida for the last 3 years and are planning to settle in London. Finally back to civilization!

Klara
What is it about Florida that you don't like? the reason I ask is that my parents have been on several vacations to Orlando, St Petersburg etc and were thinking about buying a place over there
Old Feb 7th 2004, 1:40 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

We go back as soon as the animals can fly which is 5th May and when we've sold the house!!

YIIIIIPPPPPPEEEEEEE I can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old Feb 7th 2004, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

Klara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JayJay
What is it about Florida that you don't like? the reason I ask is that my parents have been on several vacations to Orlando, St Petersburg etc and were thinking about buying a place over there
We live in Port St Lucie, which is on the east coast, halfway between Miami and Orlando. There is no public transportation anywhere in this area; you have to drive everywhere. There is no culture here to speak of, no tall buildings or the city lifestyle we are used to. Maybe it will suit your parents if they are looking for a quiet life among their peers: all you see is old people.... everywhere! Perhaps Orlando is different - I have only visited it once, on a training course, and while there was a bigger buzz about the place, the theme park atmosphere definitely put me off.

The weather is also a factor - you may think sunshine every day is great, but wait until you have been here for a while. It gets very boring very quickly. And what is worse - Floridians just love their air conditioning! I have never been so cold in my life. Every day at work, although I wear jumpers and long trousers, sometimes even a jacket, I get very cold from the constant blow of cold air. By the end of the day my fingers are purple. The company won't turn it down because there are plenty of people who are very hot and wear shorts and t-shirt every day (<whispering> they are fat). It is the same when you go to the cinema or shopping: wear several layers and a coat and you should be fine.

Last edited by Klara; Feb 7th 2004 at 4:36 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 2:50 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JayJay
Having a vacation in Florida and living here 24/7/365 are worlds apart.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Having a vacation in Florida and living here 24/7/365 are worlds apart.
Couldn't agree more. Not being supercilious, but I can't help a wry smile coming over me when I read this kind of post (and they seem to appear with alarming regularity). Sometimes it all ends up working out fine, but I can't help worrying when someone plans a huge life change based on a vacation.

Or maybe I'm just not adventurous enough.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Jealous!

Originally posted by melaniee
All you lucky people returning-for the first time today we have sat down and wondered if it is worth the misery and whether we should give in now (after 3 months). We have never been so miserable and stressed.

Good luck to you all.

I am so jealous!
You do sound stressed..... What is the problem- is it the place do you miss family, Have you made friends, do the family like it there? just being nosey dear.....three months is not very long.....
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:23 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thanks Everyone

Originally posted by missionuk

<snip>

http://www.jdbintl.com/index.htm

To export my VW Beetle to S/hampton = $1200.00

For 2 cubic meter space (64"Hx40"Wx48D) palleted and shrink wrapped, I have been quoted a price of = $441.00 - weight is not an issue. Items will arrive approx. two weeks later.

I thought this was a good deal. If anybody knows a better option please let me know.
Thank you! I didn't have to pay for my move to the US from the UK, but likely will the move back, and finding somewhere that can give me a price, even vaguely, is a huge help

Thank you

smeg
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:08 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Roll Call: Who is definitley moving back to UK in 2004

Originally posted by bromleygirl
There appears to be many of us looking at moving back to the UK this year. After 2 years of planning my move I know this summer I will definitley be moving back in May/June to either the Bromley or Cambridge areas.

Who else is definitley moving back this year? Maybe we can help one another with answers to questions concerning our relocation back "home" and form a repat club once we are back??
hi

im heading back in april - may stop off and have holiday on way back, visit friends in perth, do a few things on way - but selling stuff (rent house out so dont have selling home problem) and should be gone by end april! not sure where im heading - edinburgh or london - depends on jobs etc etc.. europe maybe - not sure....

this maybe stupid question but why did it take you 2 years to move back - waiting on passport?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Hi there,

I tried to send you a PM but your box is full!

I just wanted to say thanks for your kind words-was there anything that cuased you to start being happier or was it just time?

There are a lot of issues that we are not happy with (see below) and so only time will tell-thanks once again,

Melanie.

Originally posted by abergas
Don't give in after 3 months, I know how you feel, we have been here just over 8 months, and have had some pretty bad luck, but things are just starting to pick up, we have had days when we could just pack up and go now, but sat it out, things will get better for you im sure, stay positive

Yve
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Ok-where do I start withour being a whinger!

1. Lack of ability to get jobs
2. Low wages
3. High cost of living
4. The way house prices have gone up
5. Unfriendly, unhelpful, anti-british people (a generalisation but the case with a lot of the ones we have met!)
5. High crime
6. High violence
7. No less amount of people day by day
8. No less traffic day by day

I could go on but do not want to be slated-these are our opinions and am sure that there are many happy people here!

Originally posted by jeannie
You do sound stressed..... What is the problem- is it the place do you miss family, Have you made friends, do the family like it there? just being nosey dear.....three months is not very long.....
Old Feb 11th 2004, 4:17 am
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by melaniee
Ok-where do I start withour being a whinger!

1. Lack of ability to get jobs
2. Low wages
3. High cost of living
4. The way house prices have gone up
5. Unfriendly, unhelpful, anti-british people (a generalisation but the case with a lot of the ones we have met!)
5. High crime
6. High violence
7. No less amount of people day by day
8. No less traffic day by day

I could go on but do not want to be slated-these are our opinions and am sure that there are many happy people here!

Don't worry about other people putting you down - we are all entitled to our opinions and our experiences in other countries is one of the main things that British Expats is about.

Old Feb 11th 2004, 4:52 am
Just Joined

George Lost is an unknown quantity at this point

Me, me! I am moving back to good old England (said "tongue-in-cheek", of course) after a 33-year absence. Am leaving Canada on Feb 18, in 8 days time. Have no idea where I am going to stay... have no job lined up... lost touch with all the relatives. But, what an adventure. Blimey.
Hope that some of the ex-pats on this board can meet up somewhere England in November to exchange stories and pat each other on the back.
Bye... and good luck, all.
Cheers. George.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.