Roast tatties

Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roast tatties

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
parboil the bloody things ....toss them to roughen and allow to cool ...In a large tin sprinkle a light mixture of flour and salt ...toss in the cool spuds ....shake ..till the spuds are covered ...stick them in the oven next to the sizzling roast .....baste every 30 minutes ....its not rocket science ....sheesh 6 pages

Btw ....most Americans hate them ...they taste too much like real food
Everyone I know loves the things.

But I've never used the flour, and don't let them cool inbetween steps. Sure they're probably about as good both ways though.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

parboil the bloody things ....toss them to roughen and allow to cool ...In a large tin sprinkle a light mixture of flour and salt ...toss in the cool spuds ....shake ..till the spuds are covered ...stick them in the oven next to the sizzling roast .....baste every 30 minutes ....its not rocket science ....sheesh 6 pages

Btw ....most Americans hate them ...they taste too much like real food
Don't be ridiculous. They're practically deep fried. What's not to like?

Never had them done in the flour & salt; that sounds like some yummy extra calories!
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Don't be ridiculous. They're practically deep fried. What's not to like?

Never had them done in the flour & salt; that sounds like some yummy extra calories!
I add on coarse salt when they come out of the oven. No calories there (just blood pressure lol)

I don't do any flour etc.... I've seen using semolina mentioned also (instead of the flour).
Old Dec 9th 2007, 1:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I add on coarse salt when they come out of the oven. No calories there (just blood pressure lol)

I don't do any flour etc.... I've seen using semolina mentioned also (instead of the flour).

Never used flour either. Don't use salt since the juices from the roast which has been coated with garlic and other seasonings will season the potatoes as well.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 4:11 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

I've done the roasts the same way for the last two Christmas dinners ...the kids and wife (all USC's ) love them ...but throw in one or two relatives from her side and ..they prod ..poke ...then move on to the mash and green beans

Perfection is the crispy outside and fluffy white interior ... the kids actually fight over the burnt stuck bits on the bottom of the roasting tin ...
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've done the roasts the same way for the last two Christmas dinners ...the kids and wife (all USC's ) love them ...but throw in one or two relatives from her side and ..they prod ..poke ...then move on to the mash and green beans

Perfection is the crispy outside and fluffy white interior ... the kids actually fight over the burnt stuck bits on the bottom of the roasting tin ...
Have to admit, although I think roast potatoes are LOVELY - if I was having turkey, I'd want the mashed potatoes and gravy. They just go together.... It's really about the only time I eat mashed potatoes, but a turkey dinner wouldn't seem complete without.

With a roast or something, I'd always make the roast tatties now though.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 3:10 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Help!!
I agreed to take roast tatties to a christmas lunch tommorow.

it is for over twenty people, having just got through peeling 15 pounds! I am now concerned how to reheat them. I made some other day and they did not taste so good when reheated. Any ideas?
Old Dec 25th 2007, 5:01 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Eat them all before you leave ....and tell everybody how good they were ...

Tricky question ..as they don't reheat well and they look shite after a few revolutions in a microwave ...to be honest the only answer is to part cook them and see if you can finish them with a 45 minute blast in a hot oven when you get there ...make sure you baste well to sizzle the outside
Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Help!!
I agreed to take roast tatties to a christmas lunch tommorow.

it is for over twenty people, having just got through peeling 15 pounds! I am now concerned how to reheat them. I made some other day and they did not taste so good when reheated. Any ideas?
IF I were going to reheat them (and I'm afraid I agree with Circus-of-Power) I would try wrapping them in foil, and reheating them in the oven - opening the foil for the last part of it.

But your odds of success aren't great.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:49 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Poxy mash with Christmas dinner
'what a load of old shit' as Nan would say.
Roast spuds loved mine today.
Nice leeks as well.
M&S Chrimbo pud top notch.

Still probably the one christmas we will spend here we had 3 inches of snow and loved that bit.