Reload this Page >

RHD to LHD Vehicle Steering Conversion

RHD to LHD Vehicle Steering Conversion

Old Jun 13th 2019, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Medoly is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow RHD to LHD Vehicle Steering Conversion

Hello
I have a VW LT 46 2.5 TDI minibus and I would like to have it professionally converted from right hand drive to left hand drive.
Anyone knows a good garage or mechanic around Birmingham, Manchester, London, MK or elsewhere in the UK who can help?

Thanks
Melody
Old Jun 13th 2019, 1:07 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default Re: RHD to LHD Vehicle Steering Conversion

Originally Posted by Medoly
Hello
I have a VW LT 46 2.5 TDI minibus and I would like to have it professionally converted from right hand drive to left hand drive.
Anyone knows a good garage or mechanic around Birmingham, Manchester, London, MK or elsewhere in the UK who can help?

Thanks
Melody
Hi - just wondered why you want to have it converted? I brought my LHD Porsche from USA last year to UK and i really don't even notice that i am on the wrong side when driving, plus the insurance doesn't even register the side of the car i am on, Cheers, RB
Old Jun 13th 2019, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Short version: sell it and buy a replacement.

It is highly unlikely to be economically viable to have the steering switched, because of the considerable amount of labour required (I once paid £1,000 for work that required my car's (not a VW) dashboard to be removed, primarily for the significant amount of labour required), not to mention all the parts - it will obviously require a new dashboard and an entirely new steering system, and perhaps some new instruments and controls (if they don't the dash on the other side of the vehicle). Some of the control wires, such as to the pedals, will also need to be replaced as they will be too long or short to reach the other side of the vehicle. Then there may be other things in the engine bay that you wouldn't expect to need to be changed, for example perhaps the exhaust system might have to be rerouted.

BTW I presume that if you are moving back to the UK you are asking about converting from LHD to RHD car in the UK, as 99.9% of cars are in the UK are RHD.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 13th 2019 at 1:46 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 1:56 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Short version: sell it and buy a replacement.

It is highly unlikely to be economically viable to have the steering switched, because of the considerable amount of labour required (I once paid £1,000 for work that required my car's (not a VW) dashboard to be removed, primarily for the significant amount of labour required), not to mention all the parts - it will obviously require a new dashboard and an entirely new steering system, and perhaps some new instruments and controls (if they don't the dash on the other side of the vehicle). Some of the control wires, such as to the pedals, will also need to be replaced as they will be too long or short to reach the other side of the vehicle. Then there may be other things in the engine bay that you wouldn't expect to need to be changed, for example perhaps the exhaust system might have to be rerouted.

BTW I presume that if you are moving back to the UK you are asking about converting from LHD to RHD car in the UK, as 99.9% of cars are in the UK are RHD.
I think he wants to go from RHD to LHD which is odd, maybe moving to Europe or the states??

Last edited by movingtolakes; Jun 13th 2019 at 1:56 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 13th 2019, 2:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
I think he wants to go from RHD to LHD which is odd, maybe moving to Europe or the states??
As we only have one post by Medoly to go on, which contains very limited information, that is an utter guess! .... I find that people often confused "LHD/RHD" with "driving on the left/right", so guessed that is what Medoly meant.

If you are correct then "sell and replace" is a no-brainer as an RHD vehicle in the UK will sell for a higher price than an equivalent LHD version, so even allowing for the dealer profit margin (assuming purchase from a dealer), the cost will be substantially less than paying for a conversion.

FWIW I would expect that conversion would require about £3k-£4k of parts and cost about as much in labour.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 13th 2019 at 2:14 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
Hi - just wondered why you want to have it converted? I brought my LHD Porsche from USA last year to UK and i really don't even notice that i am on the wrong side when driving, plus the insurance doesn't even register the side of the car i am on, Cheers, RB
I'm not sure what you mean mean by "the insurance doesn't register....". If your insurers don't know that it is a lhd then you are taking a major risk.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 2:10 pm
UK spouse visa

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I'm not sure what you mean mean by "the insurance doesn't register....". If your insurers don't know that it is a lhd then you are taking a major risk.
The premium i was quoted with my insurance company did not vary if it was LHD or RHD.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 3:42 pm
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: RHD to LHD Vehicle Steering Conversion

As it is a minibus, would the passenger door need to be moved from the left to the right side and the seating rearranged accordingly