Reverse Culture Shock

Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: Reverse Culture Shock

Originally Posted by gazz21
HA - sorry I didn't mean it like that!

What I meant was the come kicking out time - fighting in the street, peeing in the street ect
That's not likely to affect me then, I'm all tucked up and fast asleep by kicking-out-time these days
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
I did think about that too...and doesn't Hulu have a monthly fee similar to Netflix???
Hulu plus has a fee but the basic Hulu is free and thats where I watch coronation street and sad to say also had to watch desperate scousewives
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I signed up to Hulu a while back and other than Doc Martin I couldn't find anything British on there. I was desperately trying to find QI on there and couldn't ?
you have to look under Genre and then International and it lists all the shows by country. I only have the free version so there are limited things but Hulu plus has more options for a low monthly fee.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Hulu plus has a fee but the basic Hulu is free and thats where I watch coronation street and sad to say also had to watch desperate scousewives
Hulu is great!

Unfortunately, you can only watch a few program episodes on ITV because of this new pay-per-view feature. Only a few programs offer free episodes and even then you can only watch them if they are under 7 days old. Beyond that, you have to register. I chose not to register in case they detect my foreign IP address which is in every email.

I watch NO American shows on either ITV or BBC - and I don't have American TV/cable service either because I don't watch - by choice - any of it.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

tomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Chip and Pin
Press the red button
Oyster cards
Trying to sort out change.
"Oh look at all the different types of Kit Kat/ Galaxy/ etc." - together with an odd look from the shopkeeper, because you still have a Brit accent.
Using 'American English' - 'Trash cans' for example.

press the red button?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

I can never understand why the pay at the pump petrol has not seemed to have caught on in UK. It takes forever to put it in, then go inside and queue up to pay for it. That's going to be annoying to begin with.
Oh yeah, it sure does, now I go to the one ASDA pump I have discovered takes cards.

Shops, if not in an out of town shopping centre, still close at 5:30pm.
And then the town becomes a ghost town (but then it did in my local US city also)

Supermarkets - despite a lot of them being open 24hours, don't tend to stock their shelves throughout the day, so it's quite common for them to run out of bread or other essentials if you go after work.
Chip and PIN confuses the hell out of me, I always put the card in the wrong way and pull it out too quickly.
Checkout assistants sitting down also seems odd now, I don't think they're allowed to sit in USA certainly where I live they all have to stand up.
Yep, all that is so weird
Old Mar 18th 2013, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomkent45
press the red button?
A phrase I often heard on TV on a recent UK visit. Not sure what it means, something on the remote control I assume. I was staying in a friends house so didn't want to press anything in case it messed up his TV settings.......... or I started WW3.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Oh, yes, that red button! Does it give you I player or something? It does sound like it might start WW3.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:30 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Chip and Pin
Press the red button
Oyster cards
Trying to sort out change.
"Oh look at all the different types of Kit Kat/ Galaxy/ etc." - together with an odd look from the shopkeeper, because you still have a Brit accent.
Using 'American English' - 'Trash cans' for example.
This is so amazing to me- as I've never known England without these things! Whenever I visited in the summer, Oyster cards, red buttons on the remote and all the kitkat and Galaxy were all the same as they are now, I honestly can't imagine traveling around London without an oyster card- it blew my mind the other day when a family of tourists got on the bus and started counting out change. I was staring at them like they'd lost it because I couldn't understand why they were hunting around for coins instead of getting their cards out! It took me a full minute to work it out and then I just felt a bit dim

What throws me off though, is not knowing who anyone is. I was pretty rubbish with celebrities and things in the States, but I hardly know anyone here! And it's the same with constantly bringing up shows and celebrities that are only famous in the US (like Dr. Oz) and getting blank looks as people have no idea who I'm talking about!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:36 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tel8
This is so amazing to me- as I've never known England without these things! Whenever I visited in the summer, Oyster cards, red buttons on the remote and all the kitkat and Galaxy were all the same as they are now, I honestly can't imagine traveling around London without an oyster card- it blew my mind the other day when a family of tourists got on the bus and started counting out change. I was staring at them like they'd lost it because I couldn't understand why they were hunting around for coins instead of getting their cards out! It took me a full minute to work it out and then I just felt a bit dim

What throws me off though, is not knowing who anyone is. I was pretty rubbish with celebrities and things in the States, but I hardly know anyone here! And it's the same with constantly bringing up shows and celebrities that are only famous in the US (like Dr. Oz) and getting blank looks as people have no idea who I'm talking about!

I know how you feel When I was in London last year I would have been lost without my Oyster card, although I'm used to some form of bus/train pass from my time in Australia, so even before I left the US to head to the UK I did research on the underground and the buses and found out more about it. I guess those tourists you mentioned hadn't found out more information first..lol.

I'm rubbish when it comes to celebrities too Although i guess we can always learn more from the paper and the telly so we can keep up with the rest of the UK..lol
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:49 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
I know how you feel When I was in London last year I would have been lost without my Oyster card...
Dare I ask?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:58 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Dare I ask?
What is Oyster? or how lost I would have been? LOL
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Dare I ask?
Tube card, it's all new to me too.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:28 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Tube card, it's all new to me too.
Thankfully they had something similar in Australia so I was very familiar with what they where and how they worked.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Congestion charge.

Measured distance speed traps ( not sure of the correct terminology )

Gambling adverts on TV.

'xxx' adverts on TV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.