Returning from Where?

Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

pasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nice
Question Returning from Where?

Hello all,

Is there a place where the majority of expats return from?

Is there a particular common reason why expats return to the UK?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning from Where?

Originally Posted by pasturesnew
Hello all,

Is there a place where the majority of expats return from?

Is there a particular common reason why expats return to the UK?
Australia (more expats go there).

Family, Tesco's, and fish and chips. (only one of these is a serious answer).
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

backhomeagain will become famous soon enough

Hy
Wife and me are going back to the UK on December 1st after almost 3 years in Canada. The last 6 months will be spent in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan which has to be the most boring - uninviting - dead and crappiest place on earth. After being laid off 5 times in 2½ years, a major confrontation with a company owner and having to wait 4 months between lay offs so Service Canada can process paperwork and renew our work permits, we have just had enough.

There was a web site called Not Canada.com which was pulled recently due to the overwhelming complaints about Canada and the people and attitudes. Literally thousands of people from Europe were returning home from Canada saying the same thing. I though it was just me, but reading the blogs and threads from different sites saying the same thing proved otherwise.

Ah well, Britain - here we come
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:29 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Australia (more expats go there).

Family, Tesco's, and fish and chips. (only one of these is a serious answer).
Tescos!?

That would be my reason
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Tesco's
There's a name I havent heard in nearly three years! Must make a point of visiting the real ale section!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backhomeagain
Tesco's
There's a name I havent heard in nearly three years! Must make a point of visiting the real ale section!
Morrison's has the best selection and best deals on real ale, IMHO.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:09 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Tescos!?

That would be my reason
I didn't say the one serious reason applies to everyone. For you, Tesco's is the one (sounds like the catch phrase for a commercial).
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Cant remember the last time I went to a Morrisons store. Maybe they got good deals but do they have a mega large range of ales like Tesco?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:36 pm
Ping-ponger

Cant remember the last time I went to a Morrisons store. Maybe they got good deals but do they have a mega large range of ales like Tesco?
Oh yeah, baby.

In fact I'd say the local Morrison's has about double the selection of ales (I mean the interesting stuff, not mass-marketed stuff) that they have at the local Tesco's (both full-size stores). They have all kinds. Better deals on wine, too, IMO.

Off-hand, I'd say M's has about 30-40 different "ales", whereas Tesco's has maybe 15 ...
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Any idea what kind of Christmas ales they might have? Fiddlers Elbow for sure, Rosey Nosey, and you must try Youngs Christmas Pudding Ale!!!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hy
Wife and me are going back to the UK on December 1st after almost 3 years in Canada. The last 6 months will be spent in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan which has to be the most boring - uninviting - dead and crappiest place on earth.
Thanks to the wonders of google maps I just had a look at Lloydminster SK, and yes - that has to be a contender for crappiest place on earth. You can almost taste the boredom.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

The boredom thing is fekkin right mate - imagine, NO Indian restaurents, No Chinese restaurents, plenty of A&W, Arbies, Tony Romas, and McDonalds, (eeeww) and the cinema, (goodness, they actually have one of these), looks like it came out of the 1960s, and thats just the outside!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:33 pm
Ping-ponger

Any idea what kind of Christmas ales they might have? Fiddlers Elbow for sure, Rosey Nosey, and you must try Youngs Christmas Pudding Ale!!!!
Don't recall seeing any of those - you might be able to check online ... http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Drink/Beer/A-world-of-beer/
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that piece of info: You might want to have a look at Beers of Europe. They are near Kings Lynn. A massive warehouse full of beer and wine and its a bloody big warehouse! Check out the web site, Beersofeurope.com (Not sure if thats correct)

Last time we visited, we spent 315 pounds on ale. That lasted us about 4 months. The car was not the same after that!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The boredom thing is fekkin right mate - imagine, NO Indian restaurents, No Chinese restaurents, plenty of A&W, Arbies, Tony Romas, and McDonalds, (eeeww) and the cinema, (goodness, they actually have one of these), looks like it came out of the 1960s, and thats just the outside!
Now, if the films they show in said picture palace all came from the 1960s it might be an interesting cinema...

But, it doesn't look all boring; isn't it right on the Alta border? It must be interesting spotting the subtle cultural differences between Saskatchewan & Alberta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.