Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK for postgrad studies

Returning to the UK for postgrad studies

Old Sep 8th 2019, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

jenmegal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK for postgrad studies

Hello everyone! We are dual Canada/UK citizens and have been living in Canada for the past 20 years. My son has been accepted to a postgrad Physiotherapy program
at the University of East Anglia next year. We do understand that he will be paying International tuition fees because of the 3-year residency rule. However, I am a little
unclear about his status regarding access to NHS services, and would really appreciate if anyone has any information about this. I have so far been given conflicting information...

An advisor at the Citizens Advice Bureau said that any British citizen returning to the UK would be eligible for free healthcare under the NHS. My son's program is for two years, so I guess his move to the UK can be considered as him returning to settle, and who knows, he might want to stay in the UK if he is lucky enough to find work. On the other hand, the University's international advisory team seems to think he would not be entitled to free healthcare because he is not ordinarily resident in the UK and that we should arrange private
health cover until he meets the qualifying period.

Also, can anyone please confirm that no student Tier-4 is required for him to study in the UK? We just received an email from the University's international student advisory team advising us that he does need to apply for a visa, so I am really confused, as I have all along been under the impression that a visa is not necessary.

Thank you!

Old Sep 9th 2019, 12:20 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK for postgrad studies

Your son will be entitled to free NHS care. He’s not eligible for a Tier 4 or any other type of UK visa if he’s a British citizen. He needs only a valid British passport.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 12:53 am
Just Joined

That's great news - thank you! Is there anything my son needs to do prior to arriving in the UK - like, are there any NHS forms to complete etc... or is it a matter of registering with the local GP on arrival? He was born in the UK, but I can't find his NHS number anywhere - hope that won't be a problem.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 1:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenmegal
That's great news - thank you! Is there anything my son needs to do prior to arriving in the UK - like, are there any NHS forms to complete etc... or is it a matter of registering with the local GP on arrival? He was born in the UK, but I can't find his NHS number anywhere - hope that won't be a problem.
Your son just needs to register with a GP on arrival. No problem re his NHS number, the GP surgery will track it down.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was in the same position in 2017. Dual citizenship seems to fall outside the standard eligibility as most non resident applicants require a visa - so we also had some initial confusion - she was ‘passed up the line’ to someone more senior to get it sorted.
In her case, she had NHS coverage from the start - that was Wales so perhaps England is different. She also had her NHS number so can’t help there.
A couple of things from the Canada side - we are in Ontario and she was able to suspend her OHIP coverage by proving she was leaving Canada to study - it meant that if she returned to Ontario after it, her OHIP
coverage would restart immediately rather than waiting 3 months.
There is also a CRA form which means he can advise of his departure for tax purposes. If you can’t find the relevant form, let me know and I’ll dig hers out.
Apologies if you are already aware of this info but ‘you’re welcome’ if not 😁
Old Sep 9th 2019, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Returning to the UK for postgrad studies

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
My daughter was in the same position in 2017. Dual citizenship seems to fall outside the standard eligibility as most non resident applicants require a visa - so we also had some initial confusion - she was ‘passed up the line’ to someone more senior to get it sorted.
In her case, she had NHS coverage from the start - that was Wales so perhaps England is different. She also had her NHS number so can’t help there.
A couple of things from the Canada side - we are in Ontario and she was able to suspend her OHIP coverage by proving she was leaving Canada to study - it meant that if she returned to Ontario after it, her OHIP
coverage would restart immediately rather than waiting 3 months.
There is also a CRA form which means he can advise of his departure for tax purposes. If you can’t find the relevant form, let me know and I’ll dig hers out.
Apologies if you are already aware of this info but ‘you’re welcome’ if not 😁
Thank you so much for the information! To be honest, we've been so stressed out about the UK side of things, we'd forgotten completely about the Canada side!
I will definitely add notifying the CRA and MSP (British Columbia's equivalent to OHIP) to our evergrowing "to do" list! Hopefully, the CRA website will have info.
about tax filing obligations for residents leaving to study abroad.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Returning to the UK for postgrad studies

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Your son just needs to register with a GP on arrival. No problem re his NHS number, the GP surgery will track it down.

That's great - thank you for your reply. It's one less expense we will have to worry about!
Old Sep 9th 2019, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Our son left England before he was 5 and returned 30 years later, living with us initially. Registering with the NHS at our local GP surgery was easy, just needed his passport and an address. Like us, if he even knew his old NHS number it didn’t matter as the system has changed. His new NHS number came through the post within a couple of weeks.

ps
Even before my new NHS came through I made an appointment and saw a GP as I wanted my prescription transferred from US to UK

Last edited by durham_lad; Sep 9th 2019 at 9:14 am.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Hello everyone! We are dual Canada/UK citizens and have been living in Canada for the past 20 years. My son has been accepted to a postgrad Physiotherapy program
at the University of East Anglia next year. We do understand that he will be paying International tuition fees because of the 3-year residency rule. However, I am a little
unclear about his status regarding access to NHS services, and would really appreciate if anyone has any information about this. I have so far been given conflicting information...

An advisor at the Citizens Advice Bureau said that any British citizen returning to the UK would be eligible for free healthcare under the NHS. My son's program is for two years, so I guess his move to the UK can be considered as him returning to settle, and who knows, he might want to stay in the UK if he is lucky enough to find work. On the other hand, the University's international advisory team seems to think he would not be entitled to free healthcare because he is not ordinarily resident in the UK and that we should arrange private
health cover until he meets the qualifying period.

Also, can anyone please confirm that no student Tier-4 is required for him to study in the UK? We just received an email from the University's international student advisory team advising us that he does need to apply for a visa, so I am really confused, as I have all along been under the impression that a visa is not necessary.

Thank you!
A big thank you to everyone who's replied so far!.

However, has anyone had any experience with accessing NHS hospital treatment on their return to the UK, as I have heard that entitlement is slightly different? NHS website says that it's free to people who are "ordinarily resident in the UK. To be considered ordinarily resident and entitled to free hospital treatment, you must be living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being". Just wondering whether studying in the UK for two years can be considered as being properly settled? I'm hoping that the answer is yes, because otherwise "If you need NHS hospital treatment, you will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate if you are a national of a country outside of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland."
Old Sep 9th 2019, 9:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A big thank you to everyone who's replied so far!.

However, has anyone had any experience with accessing NHS hospital treatment on their return to the UK, as I have heard that entitlement is slightly different? NHS website says that it's free to people who are "ordinarily resident in the UK. To be considered ordinarily resident and entitled to free hospital treatment, you must be living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being". Just wondering whether studying in the UK for two years can be considered as being properly settled? I'm hoping that the answer is yes, because otherwise "If you need NHS hospital treatment, you will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate if you are a national of a country outside of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland."
Short answer: Yes.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Short answer: Yes.
Thank you