Reload this Page >

returning to UK from Perth

returning to UK from Perth

Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Taniar is an unknown quantity at this point
Question returning to UK from Perth

Hi there,
a query for you all, has anyone emigrated to Perth only to return later to the UK? And if so why?

Reading the Oz/Newzealand sction recently it seems to be only people from Queensland who return want to know if this is correct or not.

Ta ta Taniar
Old Jul 31st 2003, 11:08 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: returning to UK from Perth

Originally posted by Taniar
Hi there,
a query for you all, has anyone emigrated to Perth only to return later to the UK? And if so why?

Reading the Oz/Newzealand sction recently it seems to be only people from Queensland who return want to know if this is correct or not.

Ta ta Taniar
Hello

check out any of the thousands of posts by Pommie Bastard, who has been in Perth for 9 years and is returning to the UK this year I think.

Are you in Perth and plannig on returning, or in ukt UK and planning on migrating?

Mel
Old Jul 31st 2003, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Ta ta Taniar
Returned to Edinburgh after five years in Perth. Tired of the isolation, poor job prospects, same old routine...haven't regretted it yet. Have really enjoyed being back amongst fmaily and friends, the far greater choice of 'cultural' activities (not quite the right word....by this i mean the whole range of entertainment here in scotland/UK) far greater travel opportunities, better long term job prospects, more interesting work, beautiful countryside, historic buildings etc etc. I could go on, but you probably get the picture. Perth (IMHO) is a fine city, but you reach a point where the isolation and routine there becomes something quite tedious....
Old Jul 31st 2003, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: returning to UK from Perth

Originally posted by mika24me
Hello

check out any of the thousands of posts by Pommie Bastard, who has been in Perth for 9 years and is returning to the UK this year I think.

Are you in Perth and plannig on returning, or in ukt UK and planning on migrating?

Mel
Hi there Mel,
we are in England but emigrated to Queensland but came back.
Never been to Perth, dont really know why, other than hubby said it was too isolated.

We are thinking of going again, so know what we are infor in terms of stress, homesickness etc but no idea what Perth is like, apart from all the threads i have read on this web site, the good and the Pommy Bastard view!!!!!!
Old Jul 31st 2003, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: returning to UK from Perth

Originally posted by joebloggs
Returned to Edinburgh after five years in Perth. Tired of the isolation, poor job prospects, same old routine...haven't regretted it yet. Have really enjoyed being back amongst fmaily and friends, the far greater choice of 'cultural' activities (not quite the right word....by this i mean the whole range of entertainment here in scotland/UK) far greater travel opportunities, better long term job prospects, more interesting work, beautiful countryside, historic buildings etc etc. I could go on, but you probably get the picture. Perth (IMHO) is a fine city, but you reach a point where the isolation and routine there becomes something quite tedious....
Hi there,

We found returning and picking your life up again was harder than actually emigrating, but that feeling of exitement and relief you feel when the plane lands in UK is brilliant.

Heard so many people mentioning getting fed up in Oz( and NZ) too !

After 5 years away did you find it easy to return? Have you been back long?

TA TA Taniar
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Christian S is an unknown quantity at this point

We returned to UK after 3 years in Perth, my wife our 4 teenage sons and i will never look back, we have never been happier since we returned, the grass was not greener in perth and it did not live up to any of our expectations, i'm sure it will/does suit some folk but not those who chose life, Perth is far to dull for lovers of life and living.

Christian
Old Aug 4th 2003, 12:40 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there Mel,
we are in England but emigrated to Queensland but came back.
Never been to Perth, dont really know why, other than hubby said it was too isolated.

We are thinking of going again, so know what we are infor in terms of stress, homesickness etc but no idea what Perth is like, apart from all the threads i have read on this web site, the good and the Pommy Bastard view!!!!!!
Hi

what made you come back from QLD, and what is making you want to leave the UK again (if you don't mind me asking)? I am just curious as I am shortly making the move (to South Australia) and as such am always keen to hear other people's experiences.

Mel
Old Aug 5th 2003, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

We've been in Perth for just over a year and will be returning to England in the next year or two for exactly the above reasons.

We are happy to stay for a bit longer, we still have things to see and do BUT we know we want to go back.

Another reason is for our children's education, I've found the government schools in WA poor compared to what we left in England.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Talking

After reading all your replies we may be better off staying put and saving all the STRESS , HASSLE and Money involved with emigrating.
Never wanted to go in the first place, i always maintain i was fooled by my hubby promising we would get a huge house with a swimming pool and what did we end up with ?a top floor FLAT (sorry apartment!) in a block without a lift!!

That Billy Connelly has a lot of explaining to do!!!!!?

Ta ta Taniar
Old Aug 27th 2003, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

pjr55 will become famous soon enough

for whats its worth..... My wife and I emigrated to Perth from England in 1974 at the age of 25 looking for a new life, we were young and enjoyed it, before we emigrated we went on a 6 months working holiday in 1972 to see if we would like it. We loved it.

we lived in perth for 23 years, started a business, bought houses etc, travelled, the usual things. As you get older your life and interests change.

I found myself that after 23 years and aged 47 I was missing several things from England, the 4 seasons, countryside, hawthorn hedges, villages etc etc

We had visited England several times on business and pleasure during our time in Perth and always enjoyed our visit, we did look at moving back to England, but going for a holliday and living there are two different things, when we looked at living there, we realised the reaons why we left in the first place, too many people, too much traffic and the climate was too cold.

we looked at France / New Zealand / Southern Germany and the US. we eventually moved to Tasmania and have lived here happily for 7 years, we have most of the things here we missed from England, 4 seasons, mountains, villages and even hawthorn hedges and dry stone walls, we live on a 9 acre property with views over rolling green hills and the ocean with mountain ranges to our west and south.

Perth is a place for young people, it is a hot dry isolated city with a growing water availability problem, it also has a growing crime problem, your compatibility with perth will depend on your age and your attitude, why not visit the place first ?

personally, I find that a lot of people try and live two lives, the one they left behind in England and the one they would like to start in Australia, you can only live one life, you have to give one up to start another, dont think for a moment that you can live both, you cant, you will end up a "to-and-from" as they call them, you will never be content.

my two cents worth
Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by pjr55
for whats its worth..... My wife and I emigrated to Perth from England in 1974 at the age of 25 looking for a new life, we were young and enjoyed it, before we emigrated we went on a 6 months working holiday in 1972 to see if we would like it. We loved it.

we lived in perth for 23 years, started a business, bought houses etc, travelled, the usual things. As you get older your life and interests change.

I found myself that after 23 years and aged 47 I was missing several things from England, the 4 seasons, countryside, hawthorn hedges, villages etc etc

We had visited England several times on business and pleasure during our time in Perth and always enjoyed our visit, we did look at moving back to England, but going for a holliday and living there are two different things, when we looked at living there, we realised the reaons why we left in the first place, too many people, too much traffic and the climate was too cold.

we looked at France / New Zealand / Southern Germany and the US. we eventually moved to Tasmania and have lived here happily for 7 years, we have most of the things here we missed from England, 4 seasons, mountains, villages and even hawthorn hedges and dry stone walls, we live on a 9 acre property with views over rolling green hills and the ocean with mountain ranges to our west and south.

Perth is a place for young people, it is a hot dry isolated city with a growing water availability problem, it also has a growing crime problem, your compatibility with perth will depend on your age and your attitude, why not visit the place first ?

personally, I find that a lot of people try and live two lives, the one they left behind in England and the one they would like to start in Australia, you can only live one life, you have to give one up to start another, dont think for a moment that you can live both, you cant, you will end up a "to-and-from" as they call them, you will never be content.

my two cents worth
I enjoyed reading your story. I'm glad you are now settled.

I would like to visit Tasmania the scenery there looks spectacular, I watched a programme on ABC a few days ago about 2 Tasmanian photographers who were tragically killed whilst working in the remote South West region of Tassie. They were passionate about the area and I can see why, it's beautiful.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

pjr55 will become famous soon enough

Kath, thanks for your reply, yes I saw the same TV program, I thought it was just a little bit political though.

Tasmania is unlike anywhere else I've been and I've been to most countries. Sometimes it reminds me of Devon and Cornwall, sometimes, New Zealand, sometimes Scotland. Its a great place to retire to, but not much entertainment here for young people apart from bush walking and the unemployment is quite high.

we love it here, we raise sheep and cattle, and during the past 7 years weve had over 40 visitors stay from Perth, UK, US and Europe, they are all blown away with the place some have even stayed

one thing I've found with Australia is that there is always a climate to suit everyone, from sub antarctic to tropical and everything in between, I know of no other single country with the climate range of Australia
Old Sep 1st 2003, 12:57 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hi there,

Ta ta Taniar
Hi There,
We moved out to Perth from the UK in March this year and I soon realised that this wasn't the place I wanted to live 'forever'. We have decided that we will give it another year or so and head back to the UK. Our daughter of 6 who we thought would adapt easily is missing the UK terribly. We thought at this age she would be more adaptable but how wrong we were!

Having a big house, pool and the beach nearby doesn't replace family and friends that we have grown up with. We also found the cost of living far higher (very similar to UK) than we expected and my husbands wage is very poor compared to the UK. We are financially worse off here and have a longer term mortgage than we had in the UK.

Last edited by janeyray; Sep 1st 2003 at 1:05 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 9:59 am
Merlot

Going back through some old posts and wondering if you have an update of how you are getting along, would love to know.

Cheers
Merlot

Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

wilko_1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done, Merlot. You saved my the bother of searching out them old posts myself!

Some really interesting ones there. Unfortunately, i didn't read them at the time of writing as I hadn't yet emigrated to Australia then!

But all good. Let's hope for some feedback.

Wilko

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.