Returning to UK from NZ

Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

finks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nice
Smile Returning to UK from NZ

Hi
I am a UK citizen married to a NZ citizen we are currently living in NZ but want to return to the UK to live permanently.I know i need a settlement visa for my hubbie but was unsure if he will need to get a job before we return.Our plan was for me to work and for hubbie to stay at home and look after our baby.It didn`t seem very clear when i read the criteria only that we can support ourselves without accessing public funds.
It will be difficult for him to get a job with the area he works in and it is alot easier for me to get work.I am desperate to return asap.
We also have a baby who has a NZ passport so i wondered what the procedure would be with him? Would it pay to get him a UK passport?
How long would the settlement visa take to come through?
Does anyone know the website were i can download the most recent forms?,as i know the criteria,info needed does change.
Also could any one recommend some companies that would ship some stuff across?
Any advice is really appreciated,i know there are alot of people on the forums with some great advice.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK from NZ

Originally Posted by finks
Hi
I am a UK citizen married to a NZ citizen we are currently living in NZ but want to return to the UK to live permanently.I know i need a settlement visa for my hubbie but was unsure if he will need to get a job before we return.Our plan was for me to work and for hubbie to stay at home and look after our baby.It didn`t seem very clear when i read the criteria only that we can support ourselves without accessing public funds.
It will be difficult for him to get a job with the area he works in and it is alot easier for me to get work.I am desperate to return asap.
We also have a baby who has a NZ passport so i wondered what the procedure would be with him? Would it pay to get him a UK passport?
Does anyone know the website were i can download the most recent forms?,as i know the criteria,info needed does change.
Any advice is really appreciated,i know there are alot of people on the forums with some great advice.
Your child needs a British passport. Contact the British High Commission in Wellington. http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk

Your husband needs a spouse visa. He can get settlement in 2 years, British citizenship after 3 years. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk. He does not need to have a job arranged beforehand.

And how long have you lived in New Zealand? Are you planning to take steps to secure your own right to return later on?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Hi
Hi Finks.

Where abouts in NZ are you? I ask because i'm currently returning to the UK also.

I have recieved three quotes from shipping companies this week. NZ Van lines were the cheapest. Then Transworld International Removals and lastly Hookers.

When we came over we used Brittania from the UK, then NZ Van lines in NZ.
We have no complaints with either of these companys.

How much stuff will you be taking back? We are using a 20ft container.

Here are the websites for the three companys; www.nzvanlines.co.nz
www.hookers.co.nz
www.transworld.co.nz

I would definatly get your son his British passport. Jaj has given you the website address to sort this out. It's not cheap. It cost us around 200 dollars. It didn't take long though, about three weeks in total.

With your sons UK passport done you can prove his dual nationality nice and easily, for such things as claiming family allowence in the UK. I'm not sure but i think you may have to have been back in the UK 26 weeks before you qualify for it and any other benefits you may be entitled to.

Hope this helps.
Tillergirl
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

finks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nice

Hi
Thank-you so much for the advice,that is great.
I am in Auckland Tillergirl i have been here 9 years but am really homesick esp for family so we have decided the best thing for us all is to return to UK,a really hard decision.
How long have you been in NZ?
It is such along way from family,i will have a look at those websites thanks.Not sure how much of a container we would fill,but i will get some quotes.
Wish you and your family all the best for your return.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Hi
I am in Auckland Tillergirl i have been here 9 years but am really homesick esp for family so we have decided the best thing for us all is to return to UK,a really hard decision.
How long have you been in NZ?
It is such along way from family,i will have a look at those websites thanks.Not sure how much of a container we would fill,but i will get some quotes.
Wish you and your family all the best for your return.
Hi Finks.

Yes it is a long way from family. A fact i didn't comprehend until i got here.

We are down in New Plymouth. However we started in Christchurch.

We've only been here 7 months. A short time i know but i really need to see my family. We intend to return next year to fulfill our residency visa, that's if i can get our 13 year old back here.

Good luck with the quotes.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 3:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Out of interest, have you obtained your New Zealand citizenship in this time?
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jaj
No i am not a citizen i have PR with indefinate RRV.I figured that means i can always return if i want or i can apply to stay because my hubbie is a citizen anyway.Thanks for those websites they are a great help.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

hiya. i am going through the same process, but through the U.S. No, huz does not need a job, but you do need to prove funds. i think it would be easier if you secured a job over there first (I've managed to do this, and it makes the paperwork easier).

I answered a similar question yesterday over here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...80#post5053580

(It has links to the VISA form and other info, etc).

All the info you need is at the British High Commission in NZ:
http://www.britishhighcommission.gov...=1087554498160

Good luck!
Old Jul 14th 2007, 3:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

Hi Jaj
No i am not a citizen i have PR with indefinate RRV.I figured that means i can always return if i want or i can apply to stay because my hubbie is a citizen anyway.
The indefinite RRV is better than nothing. However you need to be aware that it is not the same as New Zealand citizenship.

In particular, a future NZ government could put limitations on use of the RRV.

Yes, your husband could always re-sponsor you for migration but what if it's 30 years down the line and you want to join your son in New Zealand and your husband is deceased at that point?

Or more particularly, what would you do if your son decided to live in Australia? Your NZ visa gives you no rights in Australia.

You could have become a New Zealand citizen a long time ago, is there any reason why you didn't want to?
Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
You made some good points ones which i didn`t think of.The thing is it is probably too late for me to get it now as i know you have to continue living in New Zealand.Plus if i did apply how long would it take to come through?
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
Just wondered too if i did apply for citizenship just hypothetically would i need to get a NZ passport or could i continue to travel on my UK one and if i did reenter the country to live again (which could be a possibility or if i visited),would there be a document in my UK passport saying i was a citizen or is that why i would have to get a NZ passport.You have really opened a can of worms which is great,got me thinking.I just thought i would live here indefinately but circumstances have changed and i don`t know things may not work out in the UK,but i want the option that i can always return.You are right the RRV in later years may not be ok,but i am just asking hypothetically as i say because i think it is too late now and i will ahve to hope things don`t change with the goverment.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

I just always thought i would be happy here and at no point wanted to return to the UK.But who knows this has already been such a whirlwind that we may change our minds again and decide to stay.It is such a hard decision,with pos and negs on both sides.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just wondered too if i did apply for citizenship just hypothetically would i need to get a NZ passport or could i continue to travel on my UK one and if i did reenter the country to live again (which could be a possibility or if i visited),would there be a document in my UK passport saying i was a citizen or is that why i would have to get a NZ passport.You have really opened a can of worms which is great,got me thinking.I just thought i would live here indefinately but circumstances have changed and i don`t know things may not work out in the UK,but i want the option that i can always return.You are right the RRV in later years may not be ok,but i am just asking hypothetically as i say because i think it is too late now and i will ahve to hope things don`t change with the goverment.

Look, it's really quite simple:

- You get your NZ citizenship; there is no need to continue living in NZ thereafter.

- You get a NZ passport which you will use to enter NZ (and Australia) in the future.

- For everything else you continue to use your UK passport.

Old Jul 15th 2007, 3:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

Hi
You made some good points ones which i didn`t think of.The thing is it is probably too late for me to get it now as i know you have to continue living in New Zealand.Plus if i did apply how long would it take to come through?
The Citizenship Office website says around 8 months. But that may have come down recently if they have finished dealing with the backlog caused by the flood of applications in 2005 when the law changed.

When you apply for citizenship they do normally expect you to be living in New Zealand, and planning to remain. But you can change your mind after being sworn in as a citizen and no-one will care.

Your choice on how to proceed. Just be aware that if you do decide to leave New Zealand without getting citizenship, you will most likely not be able to change your mind and apply from offshore later on. And if you later on return, the 5 year waiting period will probably start from scratch (unless absence is very short).
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi JAJ
I think it is time to apply that is exactly what i thought it could be my last oppurtunity to apply,plus all the other benenfits it will hold for me.I know i can always come back which is reassuring.Plus we could change our minds anyway about going again,who knows might become a ping pong pom!!!!!
Thanks for all the great advice,you have really opened my mind to stuff i hadn`t thought about.
Finks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.