Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK now - good idea?

Returning to UK now - good idea?

Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Default Returning to UK now - good idea?

What with all the doom and gloom reports about mass unemployment, redundancies, companies closing down etc etc is anyone still contemplating returning to the UK - if so have you jobs to go to? Will you have enough to get a mortgage etc? Are you worried about the economic horror stories.

We have been planning to return from canada but dont want to end up worse off because of it.

What are your thoughts and experiences if recently gone back?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK now - good idea?

We have been back a year now and IMO its very bleak back here, there are so many places closing etc, I know a few people who have recently lost their jobs in the motor trade and catering side of things and looks like things are not gonna get much better over the next year.

That is MY OPINION but I can say even food etc have gone up dramatically petrol is down but food is up.

Can honestly say, Im worried for the kids future.

Kath

OH and BTW this is how ridiculous the PM is - hes putting 1 billion pounds of our money into some dealership abroad (cant remember name) what about good old Woolies he could have done something for this country instead!!!!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
We have been back a year now and IMO its very bleak back here, there are so many places closing etc, I know a few people who have recently lost their jobs in the motor trade and catering side of things and looks like things are not gonna get much better over the next year.

That is MY OPINION but I can say even food etc have gone up dramatically petrol is down but food is up.

Can honestly say, Im worried for the kids future.

Kath

OH and BTW this is how ridiculous the PM is - hes putting 1 billion pounds of our money into some dealership abroad (cant remember name) what about good old Woolies he could have done something for this country instead!!!!
It's the same here in the US and Canada.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

My daughter is flying back to the UK with her grandparents tonight and we fly back in 10 days, just tying up last loose ends with house and stuff.

yes i am worried about the childrens future and my dad keeps telling me about the mess the Uk is in.

But we miss everyone and just want to feel at home and we'll deal with what ever is ahead of us. We will return and no doubt it will be tough. Atleast i can pop round to my sisters to moan about it

Good luck with your decision
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1
My daughter is flying back to the UK with her grandparents tonight and we fly back in 10 days, just tying up last loose ends with house and stuff.

yes i am worried about the childrens future and my dad keeps telling me about the mess the Uk is in.

But we miss everyone and just want to feel at home and we'll deal with what ever is ahead of us. We will return and no doubt it will be tough. Atleast i can pop round to my sisters to moan about it

Good luck with your decision
I think regardless of what a mess the UK is or is not in, you can't underestimate the value of family and social support.

For people whose main reason for returning is to be close to loved ones, and who will have the support of close relatives and friends, economic discussions are relatively peripheral.

Think about George Bailey in the movie "What a Wonderful Life" - wasn't he "the richest man in town"?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes it's pretty bad/bleak in California our home has lost almost 50% of the value it had a couple of years back.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes it's pretty bad/bleak in California our home has lost almost 50% of the value it had a couple of years back.
Whoa. I guess you'll be hanging around a while, then?

The effect of house price trends on mobility will be interesting to see over the next few years. I think a lot of people just can't afford to do anythng but stay put for now ... if things continue as they are, I could be one of them.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's the same in Italy too (where I am).
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Whoa. I guess you'll be hanging around a while, then?

The effect of house price trends on mobility will be interesting to see over the next few years. I think a lot of people just can't afford to do anythng but stay put for now ... if things continue as they are, I could be one of them.
Yeah we won't be moving for another 3 years or more But luckily we didn't fall for using our home as a Credit card and only owe a tiny amount on it, it's still worth more than we paid and if we sell and pay off the loan we'd have enough for a small home back near my Mom, I'd like a bit more as I don't want a house payment at all when we go back.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:56 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the belief that Oz has escaped all the craziness going on, there was a report on the news just lastnight highlighting how they are certainly not being affected by it all. Infact, they think they are going to take a massive hit from it THIS year.
You can't avoid it no matter where you are. I really wish people would stop slagging off the Uk during this recession.
Job losses here in Oz last year alone were pritty staggering.

Believe me - it is not just the Uk - it's all over.
Just depends where you want to be located during it all!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

It's a good idea money wise. As for jobs it depends on what you do, not every single person is affected by the recession, life still goes on.
I would rather be happy and poor, than rich and unhappy.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:02 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!! It is a good time to go back. Think outside the square...

When you go back house prices will have dropped big time therefore getting you a bargain. Retailers are practically begging you to buy their stuff, so yet more bargains galore to set up your new home.

What field of work you are in will denote job prospects. For us the recession is irrelevant. In fact jobs for OH are booming in last 3mths.

Even setting up a business... sit back, think, think think... what sort of business could you set up in this climate? What will people be needing and requiring regardless of the recession? Thats what I am doing.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
What with all the doom and gloom reports about mass unemployment, redundancies, companies closing down etc etc is anyone still contemplating returning to the UK - if so have you jobs to go to? Will you have enough to get a mortgage etc? Are you worried about the economic horror stories.

We have been planning to return from canada but dont want to end up worse off because of it.

What are your thoughts and experiences if recently gone back?
We are moving back in June from canada, I have a business in the UK which has been growing despite the recession. I work with many people from the UK who's businesses are doing well. Just because there is a downturn, doesn't mean every one will go broke.

Don't read the papers, or listen to people full of bad news, times are hard, they have been in the past and we made it through. Also it's going to hit Canada big time, they are lagging behind because oil prices held up for a while and kept them going. Personally I think a lot of Canadians are delusional to think the world problems are going to somehow miss them.

Best of luck

Jonathan
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:54 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One thing you can rely on in the UK, though, is the health and welfare system.

No matter how bad things get, benefits are at an amount that one can survive on taking all things into account.

One can't say that about many other countries.

In Canada, for example, Benefits don't help with mortgage interest and there are no rent allowances - just a little extra if your rent makes up a bigger than normal portion of your income and in some provinces you may not qualify for any benefits at all if you live in someone else's household. It's expected they will support you.

Even adults who are right at the bottom and qualify for "everything going" still have to pay something for prescriptions and if they need dental work, some provinces will only cover extractions, not treatment (fillings etc) of teeth.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Yes!! It is a good time to go back. Think outside the square...

When you go back house prices will have dropped big time therefore getting you a bargain. Retailers are practically begging you to buy their stuff, so yet more bargains galore to set up your new home.

What field of work you are in will denote job prospects. For us the recession is irrelevant. In fact jobs for OH are booming in last 3mths.

Even setting up a business... sit back, think, think think... what sort of business could you set up in this climate? What will people be needing and requiring regardless of the recession? Thats what I am doing.
Hi there what sort of jobs are you and hubby in?

i agree house prices would be on our side but we would need jobs almost immediately and with 3 kids in tow getting into good schools, getting a GP and dentist would be paramount too. after being out the country 2 years(will be 3 by the time we would return) we would have to catch up on NI too. I would be looking for admin jobs of which there still seem plenty (looking on job websites etc) and my OH would look for work at local airport probably but I am worried that a 2/3 year gap on our CV would be detrimental to us getting interviews despite our vast work experience history in the UK.

I would love to set up a business - tried that here and it didnt work out but i feel UK and its people/society are more receptive to the sort of business i was trying to do here so who knows?

how long you been in Oz and when are going back to UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.