Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK - don't

Returning to the UK - don't

Old May 11th 2009, 10:14 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK - don't

Originally Posted by cricket1
Should suit you perfectly then.
Doubtful, as I don`t tend to blame others or make a habit of smiling to myself in public.
Old May 11th 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

And of course I'm sure that pop singers are so much nicer and more talented in Portugal.
Yeah 'cos Nuno Bettencourt is a household name.
Old May 11th 2009, 10:30 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Doubtful, as I don`t tend to blame others or make a habit of smiling to myself in public.
We're on the same track then. I stopped arguing with idiots ages ago.
Old May 11th 2009, 10:42 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gaeller
However, the first time I needed dental treatment, other than scale and polish cost me £75 for a crown on the NHS. The same job as a private patient in Portugal would cost £27.
Good lord! I think my last one was $800!

Just saying, whether the UK is expensive or not depends on where one's coming from.

I thought Portugal was one of the cheapest places to live in Europe, so cost comparisons aren't fair, really, are they, Gaeller? You may find you can't afford a lot of what the UK has to offer, but it isn't there in Portugal at all, where you are, at least. I've visited Lisbon, and it's wonderful.

And anyone can grow organic vegetables anywhere, though the climate in Portugal doubtless helps. Can't blame the UK for geography, either. Don't have to like the weather, but it's not its fault.

I'm not surprised that you find where you are now (where exactly?) worse than where you were in Portugal, because that clearly suited you to a T. But I don't think you should make sweeping statements based on that. A Portuguese village, growing your own food isn't everyone's idea of heaven either.

But it's fun to have such a stimulating discussion. Things were getting a bit quiet around here!

Bev
Old May 11th 2009, 10:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Yes thanks for pointing out to me what I meant in my own post. I was completely unaware of what I wanted to say until this. cheers.
Not to get into a fight, but you did say the original poster should not have been surprised at the reaction to the title. I simply pointed out that yours was the only reaction to the title....others commented on the contents.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not to get into a fight, but you did say the original poster should not have been surprised at the reaction to the title. I simply pointed out that yours was the only reaction to the title....others commented on the contents.

Fair enough. I'm busy fighting fires in Canada at the moment, hey.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I saw that. Oh well, what a snot. So bothered about what others are doing and saying. It's nowt to do with him. So I posted pics to get up his nose
Old May 12th 2009, 4:50 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a Martin Mars water bomber to help with the job.

Wooden planes that scoop up huge amounts of water and drop it on forest fires. Home base is on Vancouver Island.

Bev
Old May 12th 2009, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bevm
Here's a Martin Mars water bomber to help with the job.
http://www.aviationtrivia.info/images/martin_mars.jpg

Wooden planes that scoop up huge amounts of water and drop it on forest fires. Home base is on Vancouver Island.

Bev
Thanks We use helicopters down here, hell expensive, but that's ok 'coz I iz privuligged and ileet (apparantly )
Old May 12th 2009, 7:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in several countries mainly because I could always find better paid work where my contributions were welcomed.

My last domicile was Portugal when my husband retired. We went to an area where there were no ex-pats intending to find out how other people lived and enjoy the culture. We grew our own organic food and enjoyed outdoor life.

Because we both had old parents we returned to help care for them. It was a big wrench leaving but we looked forward to more theatre, music concerts and being able to take up new hobbies. What a shock. The cost of living is horrendous. Unless you can afford to go a trendy restaurant run by a celebrity chef, the food is junk. Added to which the 'big brother' atmosphere is oppressive. The innovative theatre which we loved is now non-existent, and the frequent nights at the opera have turned into a once a year event, replacing a holiday!

Many people find that living abroad involves learning a new language and sad to say a lot of Brits can't. That is insurmountable. If you want a British lifestyle and don't want to join in what the locals have to offer by all means come back. But beware, depending on how long you have been away, things have'nt half changed in the last ten years.
Well, having warned you at your first post to watch out for the hand grenades, I take no satisfaction in saying "I told you so".

As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, other parts of the BE board (e.g., US) it's possible to be critical of the "home country" without incurring the wrath of others. On the Oz boards (from everything I hear; I never go there except to follow a link put on here), you will get shot down in flames for suggesting that having a Barby is not the height of culture ... here on MBTTUK it's a bit in-between.

Generally speaking, you can post negatively about the UK, but you will face some resistance and maybe even some harsh words in return. But it pales in comparison with what I have seen on other discussion boards. Hang in there and try not to get offended too easily. Just recently we had a "Well, I'm tired of arguing with you tossers, I'm throwing my toys out of the pram" incident, but the person came back and seems to be quite happy swapping homilies with her new bessie mates on here ... it's all down to not deliberately stirring up a hornet's nest among a group that consists of lots of poeple who are desparate to get back to the UK, bouncing back from the inevitable barbs you get now and again, and mixing it up a little bit - no-one on here is so precious they can't take a little critical opinion.

As for your post, I think there was an element of truth throughout, but maybe just too overstated on one or two counts (the food isn't junk, cost of living, though certainly rising, is manageable for most, etc.).

So mix it up a little, add a little colour to MBTTUK, but bear this in mind: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574910

Again, welcome to BE/MBTTUK. Hope you stay.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:36 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah 'cos Nuno Bettencourt is a household name.
Good guitarist but from an average hard rock band.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:38 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by cricket1
We're on the same track then. I stopped arguing with idiots ages ago.
Now you`re showing them the error of their ways
Old May 12th 2009, 8:28 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in several countries mainly because I could always find better paid work where my contributions were welcomed.

My last domicile was Portugal when my husband retired. We went to an area where there were no ex-pats intending to find out how other people lived and enjoy the culture. We grew our own organic food and enjoyed outdoor life.

Because we both had old parents we returned to help care for them. It was a big wrench leaving but we looked forward to more theatre, music concerts and being able to take up new hobbies. What a shock. The cost of living is horrendous. Unless you can afford to go a trendy restaurant run by a celebrity chef, the food is junk. Added to which the 'big brother' atmosphere is oppressive. The innovative theatre which we loved is now non-existent, and the frequent nights at the opera have turned into a once a year event, replacing a holiday!

Many people find that living abroad involves learning a new language and sad to say a lot of Brits can't. That is insurmountable. If you want a British lifestyle and don't want to join in what the locals have to offer by all means come back. But beware, depending on how long you have been away, things have'nt half changed in the last ten years.

You err might wanna pop this on

Old May 12th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Now you`re showing them the error of their ways
That is very witty......
Old May 12th 2009, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well, having warned you at your first post to watch out for the hand grenades, I take no satisfaction in saying "I told you so".

As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, other parts of the BE board (e.g., US) it's possible to be critical of the "home country" without incurring the wrath of others. On the Oz boards (from everything I hear; I never go there except to follow a link put on here), you will get shot down in flames for suggesting that having a Barby is not the height of culture ... here on MBTTUK it's a bit in-between.

Generally speaking, you can post negatively about the UK, but you will face some resistance and maybe even some harsh words in return. But it pales in comparison with what I have seen on other discussion boards. Hang in there and try not to get offended too easily. Just recently we had a "Well, I'm tired of arguing with you tossers, I'm throwing my toys out of the pram" incident, but the person came back and seems to be quite happy swapping homilies with her new bessie mates on here ... it's all down to not deliberately stirring up a hornet's nest among a group that consists of lots of poeple who are desparate to get back to the UK, bouncing back from the inevitable barbs you get now and again, and mixing it up a little bit - no-one on here is so precious they can't take a little critical opinion.

As for your post, I think there was an element of truth throughout, but maybe just too overstated on one or two counts (the food isn't junk, cost of living, though certainly rising, is manageable for most, etc.).

So mix it up a little, add a little colour to MBTTUK, but bear this in mind: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574910

Again, welcome to BE/MBTTUK. Hope you stay.
Actually I dont think we are usually that bad but when you get some patronising twerp coming on here with an autocratic header and a "you guys are so dim, I know better" message it does tend to get one's back up a tad. I am sure that there is definitely some truth in her beliefs about what has happened to her. As for the grenade throwing, I really think her first barrage was a bit of a grenade in itself. There are ways and ways of getting your message across and coming the high and mighty "you are all idiots" really doesnt endear you to anyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.